Idaho Fish & Game In-person Tag Sales Strategy

IdahoBeav

WKR
The pool of numbers that online purchasers? I doubt that...I meant essentially no matter if in person or online, everyone is given a number from the same pool of numbers, that would level the field
The buyers showed up before 10 AM. In order of arrival and inquiry for tags, each person was assigned a numbered spot in line regardless of residential status. Once the tag sale began at 10, the clerks started selling to each person in numerical order.

Wrench

WKR
The buyers showed up before 10 AM. In order of arrival and inquiry for tags, each person was assigned a numbered spot in line regardless of residential status. Once the tag sale began at 10, the clerks started selling to each person in numerical order.
Again....same here.

Idaboy

WKR
Would have loved to see expressions if the clerk held out a hat with 50000 numbers in it and said "pick one"

IdahoBeav

WKR
Would have loved to see expressions if the clerk held out a hat with 50000 numbers in it and said "pick one"
What is the equivalent of showing up in person and logged in on multiple devices, each with a different number?

Nonresidents were in no way discriminated against or at a disadvantage at the places of sale. Just as with increased NR prices, there are costs associated with traveling to Idaho to purchase tags, but in this country, you can freely reside in the state of your choice.

Last edited:

ndbuck09

WKR
Ya'll know what the real, real problem is????

Think about if we had to use 1990's bows and rifles to hunt. Would there be this much demand?

At the core of allll of this is the run on technology in hunting, plain and simple. It's easier to get out and feel like you're "hunting". Not easier to hunt but easier to put an arrow and bullet into a bullseye at muuuuch longer ranges these days, be comfortable doing it and doing it faster with ATV's, SxS, dirtbikes and Motorized Bikes. People can get out there and be "huntin" easy man!

Idaboy

WKR
What is the equivalent of showing up in person and logged in on multiple devices, each with a different number?

Nonresidents were in no way discriminated against or at a disadvantage at the places of sale. Just as with increased NR prices, there are costs associated with traveling to Idaho to purchase tags, but in this country, you can freely reside in the state of your choice.
Totally free country thank God ..

.the online people get put in a "virtual waiting room", they are then assigned a random number, not in the order they logged on before the sale, so it's essentially " a draw" if you trying to buy NR online....if you show up in person, it's first come first serve....logging on multiple devices also sucks, why a computer can't make that loophole go away is beyond me.......I think that's why so many comments on this thread suggest they might as well make it a draw, and to the OP statement about level playing ground regardless of how one attempts to buy

IdahoBeav

WKR

.the online people get put in a "virtual waiting room", they are then assigned a random number, not in the order they logged on before the sale, so it's essentially " a draw" if you trying to buy NR online....if you show up in person, it's first come first serve....logging on multiple devices also sucks, why a computer can't make that loophole go away is beyond me.......I think that's why so many comments on this thread suggest they might as well make it a draw, and to the OP statement about level playing ground regardless of how one attempts to buy
Residents endure the same system as the nonres, just on different dates (aside from returned tag sales after 7/31). However, with the resident sale, buying in person has much more competition. I wish buying in person on the resident sale was even half as easy and fruitful as it is with he NR sale. There are benefits to buying online vs. in person. You don't have to travel. If you work at a computer, your day can still be productive. I believe the sale should be made into a special controlled hunt application and draw period, but the current system is not as unfair as many are making it out to be. If you are fully invested and willing, you can get a tag.

If you really wanted it to be fair, you could open up the NR sale to residents buying a 2nd tag. Count your blessings with the current system.

Fatcamp

WKR
Some people get a little gratuity for standing in line and buying a tag for their nonres hunting partners, and some outfitters are buying tags for their clients. Other than that, there isn't much that can be done. Each tag is issued to a specific individual and cannot be transferred.

But nobody really knows how prevalent it is, correct? Or how much outfitters are making off what is essentially reselling a tag?

IdahoBeav

WKR
But nobody really knows how prevalent it is, correct? Or how much outfitters are making off what is essentially reselling a tag?
Would you wire someone that you don't personally know $500-$1,000 plus whatever fee for their time? I certainly wouldn't front the money to buy anyone's license & tags unless I know them and hunt with them.

As for the outfitters, they would need the client to be on the hook for a guided or drop camp hunt.

87TT

WKR
The pool of numbers that online purchasers? I doubt that...I meant essentially no matter if in person or online, everyone is given a number from the same pool of numbers, that would level the field
Just no.

Wrench

WKR

The difference is if you show up to vendor "a" and there's 64 people in line and across the street at vendor "b" there's 6....you stand in line at b.....but you can't be in two places at once.

There's no doing that online. There's also no buying fuel or rooms or food or vendor profits.

87TT

WKR
If we really want it to be perfectly "fair", make it a draw, pay up front (no refunds), online and in person all in the same pot AND the IDFG randomly assigns what tag you get. No choice of tag, no group hunts.

Fatcamp

WKR
Would you wire someone that you don't personally know $500-$1,000 plus whatever fee for their time? I certainly wouldn't front the money to buy anyone's license & tags unless I know them and hunt with them.

As for the outfitters, they would need the client to be on the hook for a guided or drop camp hunt.

So does anyone know how many nonresident tags are purchased by outfitters?

Do you buy your tags by standing in line? I don't have many friends, but I'm thinking I need one in Idaho. 😁

If we really want it to be perfectly "fair", make it a draw, pay up front (no refunds), online and in person all in the same pot AND the IDFG randomly assigns what tag you get. No choice of tag, no group hunts.
That's a raffle.

Flyjunky

WKR
No tag choice? That’s dumb, what other state does that?

So does anyone know how many nonresident tags are purchased by outfitters?

Do you buy your tags by standing in line? I don't have many friends, but I'm thinking I need one in Idaho. 😁
Negative. We know how many are set aside for outfitters, but there is no way of knowing how many are bought out of the general nr pool.