How to deal with CO Wolves

mjh

FNG
Reading post #4 the wording from the statue. IF people refer to household pets as family, one could expand that to mean those range animals like cows, sheep, horses, llamas and so called livestock. They are family too!
Should be able to protect them to the fullest extent. Crazy world.

In regards to wolves, is there an easy way to tell the difference between a coyote and a wolf at night with a thermal?
I travel to CO at least a couple times a year, when I'm there a night hunt coyotes in remote areas and with wolves being introduced I wonder about accidently calling one in.
With a thermal my depth perception seems off and sometimes I don't guess the correct yardage if hunting a new area, so I reckon a wolf seen through a thermal scope could look like a coyote that is just in closer range. Hence the question about being able to tell them apart.

In regards to wolves, is there an easy way to tell the difference between a coyote and a wolf at night with a thermal?
I travel to CO at least a couple times a year, when I'm there a night hunt coyotes in remote areas and with wolves being introduced I wonder about accidently calling one in.
With a thermal my depth perception seems off and sometimes I don't guess the correct yardage if hunting a new area, so I reckon a wolf seen through a thermal scope could look like a coyote that is just in closer range. Hence the question about being able to tell them apart.

Why would it matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very sad times…ID let’s you buy a cheap tag. Maybe one day others will follow. Doubt it with the Ds in charge tho

trekker9

FNG
Pretty obvious way to not let this get out of control. If every hunter who is whining/worried about this shoots on sight, there wont be a wolf problem. In the Upper Midwest, some deer camps have a shoot on sight attitude. Helps the deer herd.

1. If the wolf is acting aggressively, be loud. Shout, clap, and blow your emergency whistle.
  2. If an attack seems imminent, use bear spray or swing a large stick at the wolf.
  3. If attacked, fight back and try to remain standing. A wolf's underbelly and face are sensitive areas that can be good to strike.
So when did their song and dance change from " No documented case of wolves attacking humans" and
"they only kill the sick and injured" ?

Ah, those wacky experts.

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
You can also look to the east coast and the seal population to see what's in the future.
Seals received "protected status" on the 1970s (remember the clubbing baby seals for their fur campaign?). Now the population has exploded and is so completely out of control that it's affecting fish and lobster populations, not to mention shutting down large areas of beach to human use. The large increase of numbers of Great White Sharks who feed on those seals is also a ticking time bomb. It's just a matter of time before someone is killed.
It's time to start thinning the seal herds, but even with the overpopulation they still have protected status thanks to the tree hugger idiots who control our government.
No way, global warming is to blame for the lack of fish and lobsters as well as increased great white sharks. Seals are increasing and that’s a good thing because they’re seals. 🙄