E Bikes, the new motorized access scourge?

Anything using wheels is prohibited, along with a number of other things.
But it's the forest service land not designated as wilderness to worry about right? Mountain biking may be acceptable in some of those areas but motorized vehicles are not

Kilboars

WKR
My guide in Edmonton brought two retro fit ebikes that cut the time in half in and out each day. It was some wild riding so not for everyone but a game changer if you have one.

This almost sounds like how the traditional archers want to ban the lights on our sights and nocks because compounds bows are easier to hunt with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brillo

FNG
I love my ebike. Wouldn't consider using it in an area where they are banned anymore than I would consider driving my car down a sidewalk. I do believe they will become accepted for many more areas in the future and they should. They are low impact, quiet, and efficient.

ODB

WKR
A saw a stinky scourge leaving the hills today... guys apparently just open the black water drain on their RVs as they leave camp now?? Unreal.

At least an E-bike leaves no poo...

Last edited:
A saw a stinky scourge leaving the hills today... guys apparently just open the black water drain on their RVs as they leave camp now?? Unreal.

At least an E-bike leaves no poo...
Yeah, because that's what everyone with an RV does now...

bpietila

FNG
Consider it a modern day horse, plenty of fat guys ride horses and i’ve never seen one using their own power to make it move, also horses cause way more damage then any bike with pedals does.
Are you considering the manufacturing process, shipping, marketing, and display of an e-bike when you make that statement?

tdhanses

WKR
Are you considering the manufacturing process, shipping, marketing, and display of an e-bike when you make that statement?
Designation of motorized or non motorized doesn’t take any of these into consideration, purely impact of the ground is considered. Horses get a pass because they were the original car or mode of transportation.

Otherwise you need to also look at the extra fuel used to pull horses, manufacturing of horse trailers, weed free feed and chemicals used to kill off the weeds etc and marketing for the horse crowd.

Also show me an ebike camp on usfs that has torn up the ground like this avg horse camp, bet you can’t.
E24F7A89-0E12-4712-A569-354F6B504D9C.jpeg

Last edited:
Wasn't hiking the original mode of travel? I do like how everyone draws their line on what is acceptable to THEM. Guilty of it too, bottom line is: you do you, and stand for your beliefs.

Unless specifically designated, yes, game carts can go anywhere a bike can go. Generally there are two designations. Motorized vs nonmotorized and mechanized vs nonmechanized.
Correct, but I think he was asking if game carts can go where a pedal bike can NOT. No, they cannot. I believe it actually says something to the affect of no wheels, at least in the FS regulation I have read. They can't be used in a wilderness area

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
Correct, but I think he was asking if game carts can go where a bike can NOT. No, they cannot. I believe it actually says something to the affect of no wheels, at least in the FS regulation I have read
Yep, I read that backwards.

I have edited my response to reflect that.

Carr5vols

WKR
I know nothing with wheels can be in wilderness areas. But do the regs specifically call out no game carts on other FS lands or does it specifically call out no bikes.