E Bikes, the new motorized access scourge?

tdhanses

WKR
?? where is an e-bike legal where other motorized vehicles are not?

I disagree. e-bikes are becoming every bit as powerful and capable as a dirt bike.
Was talking more if they become legal, if they do they do, if they don’t they don’t but i bet there will be a much larger group arguing for them being legal on non motorized trails then against since public lands aren’t only for hunters.

But currently, where it is legal mainly are the same trails it’s legal to ride a motorcycle for the most part.

Something that i crack up at is that no one complains about snowmobiles being used and legal on non motorized trails.

dryfly101

Lil-Rokslider
They can make all the laws and regulations in the world. The problem is there is typically very little enforcement. At least that has been my experience. I am not against atvs or ebikes. But when hike my butt of into an area and find them it pisses me off. Called it in and a couple of times but it didnt do any good.
That's a shame. I called a guy in this year who was hunting off a dirt bike on a very well marked nonmotorized road, sent pictures to F&G, and talked to the officer. He seemed like a good dude, was super responsive, went over and waited for the guy and ticketed him. Then the officer called me to let me know. Screw that guy who messed up our hike-in hunt that day 1NWSE. Not sure what the fine was, but I hope it was steep.

If all play by the same rules, it seems fine to use an ebike in areas where you can use a dirt bike. I like how Idaho seems to manage for all kinds of experiences and game quality by offering a variety of hunts. I don't see why they couldn't maintain that variety while making sure places exist to use a motor or your feet.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Rokbar

WKR
Sort of like muzzle loaders. Should it be just flint locks with open sights or state of the art in-lines with scopes??? Got to draw the line some where.

Yoder

WKR
Ebikes are ATV's. Period. They are nothing like a mountain bike. You can't run up hill at 25 mph on a mt bike. They just need to make a law and enforce it. I don't care either way. Instead of complaining about people using them for an advantage, buy one. To me it would be similar to the advantage of having horses or llamas. You can break everything down being "unfair". I don't have a truck. I can't drive into places that others can with a 4x4. That's unfair to me. Maybe they should ban trucks.

They have a motor, it doesnt matter what powers it.

There is a guy a couple miles south of me that has a road bike (its similar to the Harley Buell) that will do 60 MPH. I know this cause he passed me on it one day when I was going 60. It sounds like the batmobile when it passes you. Their are also electric dirt bikes that will compete with 2 and 4 strokes.

To say that because the motor is powered via electricity and not gas, therefore they should be classified different is absurd. We have areas that are open to motorized access and areas that aren't, it should stay that way.
So what's next... You're gonna tell me that electric cars are actually cars?

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
They can make all the laws and regulations in the world. The problem is there is typically very little enforcement. At least that has been my experience. I am not against atvs or ebikes. But when hike my butt of into an area and find them it pisses me off. Called it in and a couple of times but it didnt do any good.
Absolutely. Just hiked out yesterday for a resupply of food. 2 sets of $#@$^^%$# motorbikes were biking on the trail I had been on and its CLOSED to motorized.
I had just had cut off the trail to go down the ridge or I would have given them the what fors........which I do if I can.
Man, have some respect.

Randy

ewade07

WKR
As with everything else, whatever happens with the eventual FS decision I'll adapt, and so will the elk/deer whatever. I will say one thing, if I ever see one of those things off-trail it won't ever move again unless it is being carried.
strange things happen in the backcountry....tired deflate and those damn squirrels love to shew wires

It would be a shame if they were on a trail that prohibits the use and their batteries disappeared when they were after that animal of a lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
The high end E-bikes are basically electric dirt bikes that cruise at moped speeds. Anyone that says differently has either never ridden one or is a liar.

Many of the regulations that have been floated around here from various states, like most other things with government involvement, get more complicated (read as fubar) the harder they try to make it “fair and equitable.”

A blanket ban or blanket allowance is all that you’re really going to get. Anything in between is going to be abused to the point that everything is allowed anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
This is obviously a hot topic and will continue to be. Discussing it civilly is great, but no bashing each other and no beating the dead horse, or we'll have to lock the thread.

WCB

WKR
Yep lets carve roads through all the wilderness...throw some blacktop down and call it good.

Weldor

WKR
I live next to a well publizied mountain bike park that is on usfs land and state land. No motorized vehicle signs everywhere, I would say 30 % now are E-bikes. You can hunt there from foot or mtn bike. as soon as someone shoots the sheriffs are out there saying it is not safe to shoot. most users are non residents and tree huggers, they have no problem cutiing new trails or grooming old ones ( not allowed) or calling Leo if they think it bothers their recreation. Go figure!

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
If "big game security" was the goal, we wouldn't allow standard mountain bikes (or even horses) to be used in hunting. After all, they offer an advantage over hiking...no? People usually draw a line right behind where they are standing on a given issue, and this one is no different. The OP is okay with the advantage his "regular" mountain bike has over a hiker,...but thinks e-bikes should be restricted in the name of "big game security" because they tip the scales away from his favor. I'm guilty of doing the same thing btw...I just like to point this out every time these discussions come up.
Man I have to respond to this because you're totally missing my point..
Mountain bikes are non motorized, yes they offer some benefit in certain types of topography but nothing even close to what an e bike is capable of.

When it comes to big game security the mountain biker who busts his ass, the hiker who does the same, or the horseman riding into the backcountry all have one very important commonality to consider; Commitment.

It's easy for anyone to own an atv or e bike, hiking and cycling take a Commitment to fitness that most aren't willing to undertake.
Horsemanship is an even higher level of commitment both financially and lifestyle, most people will never own horses because of this.
Point being all of the above mentioned non motorized methods of access do not offer a quick turn key solution to put a hunter deep into the backcountry, and therefore limit overall pressure on game.

I'll also add that I spoke with an e biker this year who claims his friend was ticked by an LEO on federal land for riding an e bike in a non motorized area, and beat the charge because they couldn't prove he wasn't simply pedaling with the power off

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll also add that I spoke with an e biker this year who claims his friend was ticked by an LEO on federal land for riding an e bike in a non motorized area, and beat the charge because they couldn't prove he wasn't simply pedaling with the power off

Hmmmm- you would think that wouldn't matter; either it has a motor or it doesn't- shouldn't have to prove was he peddling or not- if you can't have a motorized vehicle, doesn't matter if you're pushing it or mashing the pedal