E Bikes, the new motorized access scourge?

GFs dad just bought an e bike. Im still trying to figure out the point of one ? Does this replace the gas powered mopeds from when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s?

Motorized is motorized. If the trail isn’t open to motorcycles, it shouldn’t be open to e-bikes ESPECIALLY Class III which are essentially limited range motorcycles. If you can press a lever and not pedal at all, you have bypassed the biking part.

My wife and I got Class I e-bikes for camping with our travel trailer. We use them for transportation, and they allow us to go further and hit tougher hills than we can presently do on standard bikes given some medical issues. However, they are truly pedal assisted and you still have to work. We use them on forest roads and urban trails where legal and/or without power. They aren’t up to serious single track.

The Class III that don’t require pedaling are simply another category, and most of the dedicated “hunting” bikes I’ve seen are in that class.

Horses do raise a different question. Most, but not all, horse camps I’ve come across are commercial and they are getting those guys who couldn’t hike or bike back in to the animals. That’s buying your way in. Not saying that’s wrong, but this all gets complicated when drawing that line.

Are you only worthy of non-wilderness back country if you hike in? Is it okay to use the mechanical advantage of a bike? If you chafe enough, are horses okay? Other pack animals? I don’t find this to be straight forward, other than if you can press a button and go, you should not be able to go anywhere a motorcycle can’t.

What it all comes down to is some want their advantage because it’s cowboy related and are against others having a different means to the same outcome.

I also agree many trails should be hiking only and goats, lamas, horses, atv’s, utv’s, ebikes, motorcycles etc should be stuck to motorized trails only.

‘Lokslide’!! 😂
So true these days. Anything even remotely controversial or argumentative in tone starts up and Lokslide strikes.

It’s really hard to tell “tone” and how “serious” people are in the internet. I think just because two guys are hashing something out, it doesn’t mean they are both having ill will towards each other. Just guys disagreeing and trying to voice their experience or opinion.

Like that social media character who was getting called out for dirt biking, and then all threads get deleted. Even when OP had proof, video evidence, and supposedly the dude even admitted it after blocking the guy…. That’s the kind of stuff we need less of. If guys can’t come here on a dedicated backpack hunting forum, and discuss a hypocrite who talks like he’s one of us, with a large following; but turns out to be a giant phony, it just looks like carefully selected censorship. If the guy wants to lie that’s fine and on him, but don’t censor others from calling him out.

Always interesting to see definitions and state motor vehicle laws when dealing with ebikes. E bikes are regulated by fed travel management rules when on forest or blm land, the state has no say in the matter. When used for hunting, the local game dept controls their use, doesn't matter what the state motor vehicle dept says.

It would be a shame if they were on a trail that prohibits the use and their batteries disappeared when they were after that animal of a lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Better have a special cut key to get one off the Rambo. They are numbered and matched.

I use 2 quads every season.....the 1 attached to my left side,the other attached to the right side. To each their own,but you couldn't pay me to take one of those contraptions where I roam.

Ok so I didn’t read all of this. The USFS is beginning to label trails that allow ebikes of a certain classification for trails. They will be legal in your area sooner rather than later. Just depends on your area. Most are pedal assist rather than just push and go. I have two. I still have to pedal. I can mash the button but it kills the battery. I only ride mine where permitted. From my time this year. Mountain bikers cause way more damage and are way more reckless in their riding styles. It interested in sharing a trail with them. Would you rather have more people outside enjoying the outdoors contributing money to conservation or gripe at them because they are cheating. I still hike and use land that way. I use my bike. I just follow the rules when allowed or not allowed. As the NC supervisor told me. The are coming and they will be legal.

I use 2 quads every season.....the 1 attached to my left side,the other attached to the right side. To each their own,but you couldn't pay me to take one of those contraptions where I roam.
I will tell you if they break down or run out of charge. It is tough to pedal a 56# bike. I broke my derailer and killed my battery. Let’s just say. I don’t want that to happen again. Luckily I was only riding on a gravel road. No trails

I want one to use on motorized approved trails solely for the stealth factor.
They actually are, in my opinion, riding one on gravel is still loud. It’s a convenience thing for me since I just had major ankle surgery in June. Still loud just too me.

Right keep on heading in there, plenty of good hunting within 2 miles of the road system
You guys want to know what’s funny. My primary spots to hunt will be walking in 2 miles or less. I find myself using my ebike for sight seeing more than hunting. Like riding through looking at elk on a paved road with my little one on the deer cart.

Attachments

• 217A449C-3263-439D-A2E1-1895F0AF53FA.jpeg
    217A449C-3263-439D-A2E1-1895F0AF53FA.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 53
I'd love to have one of these E-Bikes but theyre way out of my price range
My body wont allow me to walk long distances or carry heavy load so these Bikes would allow greater access for me and many others like me
Unfortunately none of our wma's allow them down here

My body wont allow me to walk long distances or carry heavy load so these Bikes would allow greater access for me and many others like me
This is exactly my point, getting older sucks but using hi teck e Bikes to give everyone easy and "equal access" is detrimental to game security, there's no way around that fact.
I wish there weren't so many carve outs in the west, it's plain retarded for IDFG to make "non motorized access agreements" then allow electric motors..

I am 69 years old and still get around well in the woods.

I saw the opposite of what your thinking. In Montana on National Forest near Dillon all e bikes were clearly illegal. Older folks myself included played by the rules, but younger people (frequently in poor physical condition) were violating by illegally using ebikes.

It was pathetic - old guys walking and young guys cheating with e bikes.

Back