Dog throws up in truck

2531usmc

WKR
I have a year old golden retriever that has a bad habit of throwing up in the truck. She starts drooling, then drooling a lot, and then she lets it rip. I’m not sure if its car sickness or stress.

I’ve been taking her longer rides of maybe four to eight minutes hoping that it’s stress and maybe she’ll begin to get used to it. She seems to be responding well, but then the drooling starts. At the end of the ride we go for a 45 minute walk that she loves.

she seems to be happy climbing in the truck, but I’m not sure if I’m making progress or not.

Has anybody else had the same problem. Maybe some suggestions to help us get through this?

My dogs did the same for quite a long time as pups. They now lay down and that seemed to be a big issue. Also, if it’s early in the morning headed to hunt, I don’t feed them at home. I pack food and feed them when I arrive. I bet that with time she’ll do better, I think the standing up is a huge part of it.

Mosby

WKR
Don't feed a dog the morning of a hunt or long road trips. Only feed after the hunt or drive is over. Bloat is a real thing, so feeding a dog before hunting can be dangerous for the dog. Don't let the dog ride in the front seat. I have blankets in the back seat so they can lay down. My dogs tend to do much better in a kennel when traveling and its safer for them. I had a Vizsla who got car sick no matter what I did.

Fitzwho

WKR
My American Water Spaniel (2yo) does the exact same thing. Does better on long/highway trips. It’s 100% car sickness because i can’t throw him in the truck and run errands around town. It’s all the turns that get him. He rides in a crate in the back of the car now. He puked on a 4 hour car ride, right as we pulled into my parents’ driveway, but he kept it together on a 7 hour one way drive this weekend. In town I can make him puke inside of 10 minutes.

I figure I messed up with mine because I had him Driven from North Caroline to Texas when I bought him as a puppy. Poor little guy spent like 3-4 days in a van.

You can give them Benadryl or Dramamine before a trip and that seems to help my pup out. Talk to your vet as well.

Heck, my dog has to sit in the front seat and look at everything! Doesn’t bother her one
bit and she is like a kid in a candy shop when it comes to going for a ride. I would do as others said. Lay down on the backseat or ride in the kennel.

Yoder

WKR
My Golden did the same thing. She seems to have gotten better over the years. If we go on a long trip, I just don't feed her until we get there.

j_volt

WKR
My GSP used to throw up in the crate and back seat. He did better if he would lay in the front seat with his head on my lap. I always assumed it was motion sickness, and he eventually grew out if it.

TxxAgg

WKR
Mine will vomit also about an hour into a trip h less I take a few precautions...I don't feed her before a trip And i go nice and easy on turns and changing lanes. I put her bed in the back of my suv and she lays down which helps a lot.

SonnyDay

WKR
Mine got sick as a puppy but then grew out of it. We used Dramamine in the early days and it worked pretty well.

hobbes

WKR
I had a setter years ago that would get sick in the cab, in the front, in the back, and in a crate in the bed. If I was driving he was puking. It seems like he eventually got over it.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
Our lab/gsd mix gets car sick any time over an hour or so. Vet gave us some anti nausea and anti anxiety meds. Those and no meals prior to the ride. No issues since.

Elk97

WKR
Our golden had problems when young on longer trips. Riding in the back seat with the window open seemed to get him interested in something other than his stress or motion sickness. I used to take him on very short trips in the truck and then do something fun with him like go for a hike or throw the ball. He started to get excited about going because he associated it with going to do something fun. No problems now at all. Good luck

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
I have had a couple of dogs that I made the error of not driving them around frequently when they were young and then they had motion sickness issues that took time to get over. Just take them for drives as much as possible and continue to make something positive out it like you are doing with long walks that the dog loves. I think a lot of it is like Pavlov's dog scenario where the do is anticipating getting nauseous and starts to drool early in the ride in anticipation of it. If the dog is excited and anticipating something positive (like the walk) I think it will get over the motion sickness and anticipation of same and will be happy to be riding somewhere. I would do this before I used medication or spent money on a vet visit.