Go in deep!

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
For what it's worth, locally I've heard of CO's charging dudes for leaving ribs/neck meat behind. And I think it's Alaska (?) that says you have to pack out the intact rib cage?

This is all anecdotal, but it was enough to make sure I take the ribs and neck meat, cause I'm mostly a chicken sh*t and figure if something bad was going to happen, of course it would happen to me.

That she had horns!

I don’t mess with the rib meat or neck meat anymore. Take it home and lose half the meat trimming. If it’s super close to the road then maybe, but I don’t pack an extra 20-30 pounds for 10 pounds of finished meat.

BBob

WKR
I grind everything except for backstraps and tenderloins. Mix the neck and rib meat in the grind as pulled from carcass for virtually no loss. There's almost no trim done on the neck meat when we grind. If I didn't use the neck that'd be a pretty big loss to me.

Love my elk burger! I'd rather have that than almost any other cut off of it.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
That's the ankle you yahoo.
Well it’s a good thing I have a knife to skin it!
For what it's worth, locally I've heard of CO's charging dudes for leaving ribs/neck meat behind. And I think it's Alaska (?) that says you have to pack out the intact rib cage?

This is all anecdotal, but it was enough to make sure I take the ribs and neck meat, cause I'm mostly a chicken sh*t and figure if something bad was going to happen, of course it would happen to me.
Colorado regulations require 4 quarters, back straps , and tenderloins. Alaska requires you to take a toothpick and dig the meat out of the joints!

That's because it was cold. It actually snowed above timberline later that day. This was just below 11k feet. But come to think of it, I didn't see many yellow jackets at all that year. Two years ago I set up base camp Aug 30th and the flies and yellow jackets were insane. This year I haven't seen a single yellow jacket up there yet and it's been hot. Flies are bad though.
You may not see any meat bee’s. Until you are looking at a hole in his body where his life had been 😉

Me and my nephew packed my bull out last year and it was right at 4 miles out. The grade wasn't bad at all. We did it in two trips. I can't imagine doing that same pack solo with the elevation you're talking about. I say you made a good choice.

BDRam16

WKR
I grind everything except for backstraps and tenderloins. Mix the neck and rib meat in the grind as pulled from carcass for virtually no loss. There's almost no trim done on the neck meat when we grind. If I didn't use the neck that'd be a pretty big loss to me.

Love my elk burger! I'd rather have that than almost any other cut off of it.
My wife would kill me if I ground up the rear quarters of anything lol. Best crockpot sandwiches you’ll ever have are from rear quarters lol.

Hnthrdr

WKR
That she had horns!

I don’t mess with the rib meat or neck meat anymore. Take it home and lose half the meat trimming. If it’s super close to the road then maybe, but I don’t pack an extra 20-30 pounds for 10 pounds of finished meat.
Neck roasts are great and you can get several off a big bull… rib meat I’m kind of with you, it’s all grind though and I like burger so usually it gets taken if possible

Neck roasts are great and you can get several off a big bull… rib meat I’m kind of with you, it’s all grind though and I like burger so usually it gets taken if possible
Man I love me some neck roasts, TONS of excellent meat on an Elk neck. I'll even trim it off of a skinny whitetail.