Go in deep!

sndmn11

WKR
Meatpoles are an elk hunters best friend to keep things clean by yourself 🤙

Skinned while hanging on the meat pole?

How do you cut the hide?

As soon as I get a hole, the blade is on the inside of the hide, facing out. Cutting through the hair into hide produces hair everywhere.

I assume you know this, but if you didn't or for anyone else, it's a big difference.

I watch videos of people quartering deer or elk quickly and they are cutting through hair into hide. Can't imagine the mess.
I first do the smelly lymph node things on the ankles before starting to skin, and don't use that blade again.
Then I do my EOS, which for me in CO has been half the scrotum on a strip of skin left on the rear. I do half in case I screw up the first try, then I still have the other half on the other quarter.

Then, I make a small initial incision near the head, then use the havalon gut hook going with the grain to the butt. Next make the cuff cuts around the shanks.

From there I skin down one side, but then find myself wanting/needing to make a cut down each leg to the cuff cuts. Those are cross grain and whether I do them with the guy hook or with a blade and finger under, I always slice hairs that end up everywhere.

I've considered hanging quarters and then skinning.
I've considered making all my hide cuts before skinning.
I've considered a lot of things, and do use some sheeting, but we have been disappointed in our meat cleanliness.

I first do the smelly lymph node things on the ankles before starting to skin, and don't use that blade again.
Then I do my EOS, which for me in CO has been half the scrotum on a strip of skin left on the rear. I do half in case I screw up the first try, then I still have the other half on the other quarter.

Then, I make a small initial incision near the head, then use the havalon gut hook going with the grain to the butt. Next make the cuff cuts around the shanks.

From there I skin down one side, but then find myself wanting/needing to make a cut down each leg to the cuff cuts. Those are cross grain and whether I do them with the guy hook or with a blade and finger under, I always slice hairs that end up everywhere.

I've considered a lot of things, and do use some sheeting, but we have been disappointed in our meat cleanliness.

I never got along well with a gut hook. 2 fingers on either side of the blade as I push it down the hide works best for me. Takes both hands to make those cuts, but I'll usually start over the tail, go up the spine to the neck, then come down the side of the ham on the back of the legs. Can then start to pull from where you started at base of tail and lay it open quickly. Once down the legs I just circle them from the inside.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
@sndmn11 yes indeed, cut one quarter off, hang skin and bag. Take Break repeat, then take flank and back straps and neck. If easy to roll, roll it over and repeat. Some positions may then require gutting to roll over if pinned or balled or fighting gravity. good luck keeping it clean alone as is not easy, but pays big dividends when get it home🤙

Attachments

• 325F68D3-DF48-476A-8902-5E90A104EFB3.jpeg
    325F68D3-DF48-476A-8902-5E90A104EFB3.jpeg
    671.5 KB · Views: 48
OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Well yeah. Step over it so your butt is holding it up and start slicing. The trick is to do a cut along the spine first as deep as you can. Then go in from the ball joint on the hip and meet the 2 cuts. Done it many times alone and it’s almost as easy as with a helper.

Well yeah. Step over it so your butt is holding it up and start slicing. The trick is to do a cut along the spine first as deep as you can. Then go in from the ball joint on the hip and meet the 2 cuts. Done it many times alone and it’s almost as easy as with a helper.
I generally pull back straps first.

Gives you some guidelines for that ham.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I generally pull back straps first.

Gives you some guidelines for that ham.
Only problem with straps first is the shoulder covers it. I like front shoulder, hind quarter, straps, flip, repeat, open the belly a little to relieve pressure on tenders, then remove tenders, then head last.

1/4 mile for 1000’ is like a 75% grade. Not far off from climbing stairs without the benefit of sure footing and handrails. That’s pretty daunting considering you’d probably have to do it 4-5 times.
I did this last year, yes it sucks.
Climbing from rock to rock up the rokslide because the non rocky ground was way too slippery in the snow.

Only problem with straps first is the shoulder covers it. I like front shoulder, hind quarter, straps, flip, repeat, open the belly a little to relieve pressure on tenders, then remove tenders, then head last.

I can normally reach up under the shoulder flap to get the back strap free from the base if the neck.

Deer is easy, you can just pull them free.

@Ross @Ucsdryder @Billy Goat @svivian @whoeverelse

Should all do a step by step pictorial for YOUR method. @KickinNDishin and I always know we could bring home better, but I've never had anyone show me in person their ways.

It would take one of those body cam things, and you would here me cussing up a storm in a redneck/southern accent.

Understand why it's written mutha

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
This is a good read.

For me, the terrain and topography dictates how far I’ll go solo. Like last year in CO, I shot my bull a legit 6 miles from the truck during first rifle season. I knew the forecast showed cold nights so I knew the meat would be fine should I kill a bull. Also, the terrain was mild with a good trail system and maybe 1000’ elevation gain over that 6 miles.

Conversely, I hunted some areas the last couple years that I wouldn’t go more than 1-2 miles from the truck because the elevation gain/loss was dramatic and would’ve damn near killed me to get an elk out solo lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This weekend I hunted 1000' above my camp. As the crow flies it was maybe 3/8 of a mile. However as the hunter walks, it was probably more like 2 miles. 2 miles climbing over deadfall to get there. The top 1/3 of that mountain was very steep. It took me 4 hours to get up there. It looked alot easier on the OnX. Yes I followed a bull about half way up until he disappeared like a ghost. Even though it was downhill all the way to camp, I would have had a hard time getting something out from up there and I'm starting to second guess some of the places I have and do hunt. But I can't seem to help myself. Hunting solo at 59 has its challenges but I just can't quit. Yes I have a problem. I am an elkaholic.

dusky

FNG
If you can keep your meat below 40 degrees for 4 days or more, I bet you could do it unless you injure yourself. But you probably wouldn't want to do it again.

wannabemtnman

Lil-Rokslider
Just did 6.5 mile pack out and it SUCKED. It was too far and I regret it. Even being in some of the best shape of my life, if I wouldn’t have had a buddy come in it would have easily taken two day’s. Did it in two loads with a buddy taking one and me doing two. It was all downhill 2700’ decent over the 5 miles on the main trail. I won’t go back to this spot unless I have 2-3 others with me, there’s plenty of elk closer to the road being solo. Or pony up for some horses (pun intended). Good luck!

CCooper

WKR
I have always gone from the tail to the neck down the backbone, skinned down, removed rear, front, BS, then neck meat in that order- have seen mixed results depending on how good of a spot they expire in.
I watched a elk 101 video the other day where he started on the inside of the front leg and cut along the brisket and up the inside of the back leg, skinned quarters then up over the back. Pulled hind quarter, front quarter, BS, Neck meat, then brisket meat. It looked like it left all the hair mess down low where you don’t care.
I think I’ll give this a whirl this year if I punch a tag 🤣

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
@Ross @Ucsdryder @Billy Goat @svivian @whoeverelse

Should all do a step by step pictorial for YOUR method. @KickinNDishin and I always know we could bring home better, but I've never had anyone show me in person their ways.
These are always great ideas right up until the point I’m standing over a dead elk, I’m tired, I have a ton of work ahead of me and the last thing I want to do is anything other than the minimum. Thus the reason you always get 1 nut, because removing the additional one is too much work.

sndmn11

WKR
These are always great ideas right up until the point I’m standing over a dead elk, I’m tired, I have a ton of work ahead of me and the last thing I want to do is anything other than the minimum. Thus the reason you always get 1 nut, because removing the additional one is too much work.
Tongue and heart this year as well, please.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This is a fake pic.

I see absolutely no yellow jackets.
That's because it was cold. It actually snowed above timberline later that day. This was just below 11k feet. But come to think of it, I didn't see many yellow jackets at all that year. Two years ago I set up base camp Aug 30th and the flies and yellow jackets were insane. This year I haven't seen a single yellow jacket up there yet and it's been hot. Flies are bad though.

Afhunter1

WKR

What smelly lymph nodes? Do you mean gland mid way up back leg?

Afhunter1

WKR
I have always gone from the tail to the neck down the backbone, skinned down, removed rear, front, BS, then neck meat in that order- have seen mixed results depending on how good of a spot they expire in.
I watched a elk 101 video the other day where he started on the inside of the front leg and cut along the brisket and up the inside of the back leg, skinned quarters then up over the back. Pulled hind quarter, front quarter, BS, Neck meat, then brisket meat. It looked like it left all the hair mess down low where you don’t care.
I think I’ll give this a whirl this year if I punch a tag 🤣

I hate to cut belly skin do to it being covered in urine. It stinks and will ruin meat. If it was a cow I’d go the belly route for sure.