Do you hit your dog ?

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
Don't worry, those of us who read posts before responding understood the situation. When I saw your initial post I thought you could get all kinds of preachy crap for it, glad it hasn't been too bad.
Look, I did read the post. My response is to the title and some subsequent responses, that are probably tongue in cheek anyhow. If you read my full response I’d have thought you’d see that I didn’t disagree with the OPs approach. Im a believer in physical corrections, even negative reinforcement (e.g force fetching) were necessary to better your dog. Not trying to be giving a bunch of “preachy crap.” Sorry if it came off that way.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a serious question, and my dog training is mostly all positive reinforcement. But how does positive correction work? Some dogs yelling at them is enough, some can care less. So how do you correct bad behavior? Everyone who has a dog that jumps on you is always yelling at them. I put a knee in a dogs chest, they don't do it anymore.
In classical operant conditioning positive means giving something. So a swat or zap is positive punishment, a negative punishment would be taking away something they like, such as a toy. Giving praise or a treat is positive reinforcement, negative reinforcement would be removing something they don't like, such as an environmental stressor. Some of those make more sense than others to me.

To the OP, I don't swat mine, but an ecollar changed her life and I had to crank it pretty high the first few times. Mostly I can give her all the feedback she needs with tone and body language. Every dog is different, good trainer should be able to read them and adjust, IMO.

Rambucsabillbul

Lil-Rokslider
I'm about in the same position as the OP.
Although my kids only ever got one spanking each in their life. Stern and firm words used at the same time as the spanking was all that was ever needed moving forward.
Early, consistent, firm training of the dog when it's young works best.

t_carlson

WKR
Yes, but some much more (or less) than others. Really depends on the dog. With spaniels, a harsh voice will usually accomplish the same thing once they know you will whack them if you have to.

Watch some dogs interact. They speak in violence. All animals do, really.

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
As long as it’s not a poodle it’ll probably be a decent dog. Swat or not.

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Gave some physical correction to the first two dogs I have. Got a hound pup back in September. No physical corrections with her. But damn sometimes I want to. Hard headed dog but getting her out of the house and in the woods always seems to help. Run a collar on her when running lion tracks, worked well so far.

Oregon

WKR
This dog absolutely relishes when I hit the #7 button on the e-collar. I'd hit 10 but collar only goes to 7. I've gone full WWE wrestling with her in the blind. Body slams and choke outs. She just looks at me and implies "that all you got?"
7 years old, 4800 retrieves. She gets stuck on stupid sometimes, so do I.
I remember my Dad bouncing my head off the cubbards when I was 13 after foul mouthing my mother.
Don't remember ever foul mouthing my mother again. BB9D3E7A-1377-4BC3-9EFB-6F32B4EE7ED4.jpeg

TSAMP

WKR
This dog absolutely relishes when I hit the #7 button on the e-collar. I'd hit 10 but collar only goes to 7. I've gone full WWE wrestling with her in the blind. Body slams and choke outs. She just looks at me and implies "that all you got?"
7 years old, 4800 retrieves. She gets stuck on stupid sometimes, so do I.
I remember my Dad bouncing my head off the cubbards when I was 13 after foul mouthing my mother.
Don't remember ever foul mouthing my mother again. View attachment 511437
In an effort to keep things educational. Using the above as an example. I think the best thing to do in this circumstance would be to leash the dog and head to the truck. Kennel it, call it a day. Remove the dog from the activity it wants to be doing. No idea what it was doing wrong here but obviously work on training that.

It's a tough decision I have found myself in as well. We are selfish and our own desires often lead too allowing undesirable behaviors of our partners. Such as shooting bumped birds over a pointer because you only saw the one that day. (Not me but a guy I know)

As a blanket statement. If you need to physically discipline your dog during a hunt, you didnt spend enough time training.

Mines an angel hunting. It's when he's not been hunted that he goes on a rampage humping pillows into oblivion.

Oregon

WKR
In an effort to keep things educational. Using the above as an example. I think the best thing to do in this circumstance would be to leash the dog and head to the truck. Kennel it, call it a day. Remove the dog from the activity it wants to be doing. No idea what it was doing wrong here but obviously work on training that.

It's a tough decision I have found myself in as well. We are selfish and our own desires often lead too allowing undesirable behaviors of our partners. Such as shooting bumped birds over a pointer because you only saw the one that day. (Not me but a guy I know)

As a blanket statement. If you need to physically discipline your dog during a hunt, you didnt spend enough time training.

Mines an angel hunting. It's when he's not been hunted that he goes on a rampage humping pillows into oblivion.
Haha. Whatever.
That entire statement just seems too perfect.
Absolutely nothing is Perfect. I'm not Perfect my dogs not Perfect.
If I get frustrated, and WWE my dog. We're good.
I can assure you my dog picks up more ducks than 97% of all duck dogs in the USA.
It's not a teaching moment. It's not anything.
It's me and my phenomenal brown dog working out issues over a 107 day season where I hunted 82 days.
We go toe to toe. If she could put on boxing gloves it would be epic.
D05E897A-44E4-4867-A2DC-F4EC2A4E0019.jpeg

TSAMP

WKR
Haha. Whatever.
That entire statement just seems too perfect.
Absolutely nothing is Perfect. I'm not Perfect my dogs not Perfect.
If I get frustrated, and WWE my dog. We're good.
I can assure you my dog picks up more ducks than 97% of all duck dogs in the USA.
It's not a teaching moment. It's not anything.
It's me and my phenomenal brown dog working out issues over a 107 day season where I hunted 82 days.
We go toe to toe. If she could put on boxing gloves it would be epic.
View attachment 511448
Over simplified and too perfect? What else do you expect from a stranger in the Internet.

Good lookin dog.

Oregon

WKR
I really don't.
I get it.
So, how many ducks does your dog pick up and bring to hand in a season? I'm curious because obviously your pup has titles.
That brown machine picked up 843 ducks this year and delivered to hand. No titles, just a few WWE workouts and body slams.
You saying that slowed her down??

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
You can see from my pict here my dog ruled my life. She was a 50 pound pointing yellow lab. I have hunting stories I can tell about her that put my hunting to shame. I made so many mistakes with her training her I thought she would hate me for ever. Yes I admit I regret some of the things I did to train her. Never beyond abuse. I loved my little girl. She was hard headed. But I put the time in with her from when I picked her up at eight weeks until she looked at me with her last breath. I hunted her until she was 15 years old. There is not a day that goes by where I dont look at some of the pictures and tear up. I messed up as a trainer but she still loved me because she did not know when i messed up. But I trained her> And loved her for 16 years 1 month and 4 days. Did I hit her? A smack in the ass or I would grab her muzzle and then hit my hand. And her some picts of her. A hunting machine. The one picture was forced retrieve. Hated doing it but rewarding. And my favorite is her big smilie face on the couch. I have never met a person that can replace her. And I coud go on for days about the hunting trips with her. But I never violently beat her. So the picture with her holdoing the pheasant was outside of dodge city in 2004. Its about 5 below zero around christmas. I pulled up to my hotel room right next to a professionnel hunter. He was towing a dozen dogs in thier kennel trailers. And I get out go around to my passenger side door, pick my little girl up (her eyes were swollen shut) and carry here into the hotel room and put her on the bed. The "pro hunter" guy asks if i am goint to let my dog sleep on the bed. I go over to my cooler and open the lid. Three roosters and a limit on bob whites. And I look at him and say, maybe I should sleep outside in the kennel, along with your dogs. But my girl deserves a queen after a prime rib dinner. to many stories with my favorite hunting girl. I am sorry. But I never beat here and I cry my eyes out everytime I think about herP131113.JPGPC310009.JPGPC260008.JPGP7050033.JPGPC260008.JPGPC260008.JPGP131113.JPG

Attachments

• P6140025.JPG
    P6140025.JPG
    555.8 KB · Views: 16