Do you hit your dog ?

I generally stay away from striking a dog around the head. Part of retriever training.

But yes, some dogs are really hard headed. I had my lab kill a lamb, beat the tar out of him next to it. He won't touch them now, and is around them all the time, actually half ass works them. But won't touch them now.

Wouldn't have gotten there without him getting punished. Yelling at him wouldn’t have done it.
My 3 yo GWP caught and killed a whitetail fawn one spring. yelling at him scared him enough for me to get ahold of him, put him on his side with firm, unwavering pressure on his neck. then I laid that dead fawn on him. he did not move for a half hour or so, just laid there with the fawn laying across his neck. he has never chased (has barked at) but never chased a deer since.

Yoder

WKR
I don't think I ever hit my oldest dog. She always listened so well. Worst case I would yell and she would stop whatever she was doing. My new puppy is a little different. She is pretty aggressive and bites a lot. She's playing but gets out of hand. I've smacked her a couple times. Nothing crazy, just enough to get her attention. I would never want to hurt my dogs or make them afraid of me. Every time I've smacked her she stops but isn't the kind of dog that gets butt hurt about it. I'm also not hitting her hard enough to hurt her. My other dog would be horrified if I ever hit her.

I was taught from a young age to never strike a dog in the head. I also have little tolerance for those that allow children to hit dogs. You know how that goes, it starts with hitting, then torturing, next thing you know we have a serial killer on our hands. ha

I don’t know if it’s right or wrong, but I will say this. I had a chocolate lab puppy back in the early 90s that chewed up a pair of my sandals, and I took what was left of them and beat the shit out of her with ‘em. I actually didn’t exactly “beat the shit out of her”, but I did spank her with one of the sandals, and she never chewed on anything that wasn’t one of her toys ever again. In my defense, it was a Birkenstock, so there is that. On a sidenote, I’ve also spanked my kids occasionally when they were younger, but I never did it out of anger, and maybe that doesn’t make any difference, but I think they’ve turned out pretty good so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 3 yo GWP caught and killed a whitetail fawn one spring. yelling at him scared him enough for me to get ahold of him, put him on his side with firm, unwavering pressure on his neck. then I laid that dead fawn on him. he did not move for a half hour or so, just laid there with the fawn laying across his neck. he has never chased (has barked at) but never chased a deer since.

Mine killed a fawn too, wasn't able to do but so much correction as I didn't know until he brought it to me. At that point it would have been punishment for retrieving, not for the killing it.

He is he'll on groundhogs, that's about it now.

20220319_194214.jpg

Picture cause, well what's talking about dogs without pictures.

Broomd

WKR
A pop under the chin to a dog is one thing, but Jesus, I can't understand someone that would hit their own kid. Using violence will never change someone's behavior for the better. Pure neanderthal ignorance.
Yikes! Can't imagine raising my kids without the paddle in the back of their minds. It was seldom ever needed, but it was essential and done with love, not violence!

Last edited:
Yikes! Can't imgine raising my kids without the paddle in the back of their minds. It was seldom ever needed, but it was essential and done with love, not violence!
I just made mine split a cord of wood, 4 degrees out side. She did pretty good for a 6 year old, with a hatchet

rclouse79

WKR
I just have a 1 year old border collie that is amazing. I have had no reason to hit him, as he is very smart and eager to please. After being potty trained at our house he hadn't quite figured out those same rules applied at other houses. I took him to my mom's and no sooner had I sat down I saw him lift his leg to piss. Without even thinking I tossed my phone at him and tackled him. I didn't hurt him but it made an impression, as that was the last accident he ever had. I think catching them in the act is key.

KurtR

WKR
There is difference between using a physical correction and beating a dog the latter has no place in it. The dog its self can also determine what you need to do. I messed my dog up saying "no here" to many times when we first started running blinds and expecting perfection. Had to go back and build his confidence back up and that was just simple verbal pressure. When it came to force to pile work i had to front sit him and back nick back as the traditional way of sending at the side just shut him down and we are talking low 1 and 2 on the collar i could hardly feel the tingle on my arm. Swim by i took an extra amount of time to teach teach teach before we forced at all to make sure he understood exactly what the collar meant. He is a funny dog and will stay in his feelings if i get on him to hard at the wrong time. Now with maturing and hitting 3 year old in Feb he can take a little more pressure and understands right and wrong decisions and a correction is not the end of the world. Crazy thing is talking to a pro who new a fc afc dog 3 generations back said Rudy had the same temperament. We went from blinds being a weak spot to getting compliments at finished tests on how he runs them.

On the other hand my friends dog that i train with his little female dont care if you would nail her with a 2x4 she wants more. Never holds a grudge and is just a million miles and hour. We both have learned alot having dogs on opposite ends of the spectrum.

It comes down to reading the dog in front of you and training with the smallest amount of pressure needed to get the results you want.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't hit my kids or spank them, and you can spare me the man-made religious garbage. Since you seem to like fiction and kids living in fear, don't forget the great quotes from the Old Testament that condone killing your kid if they don't turn out the way you had hoped:
I didn't mention anything about religion......man-made or otherwise. And you were the one that brought up Jesus. ;) I just posted part of the instruction manual for this world after it and everything in it was created. Do you disregard all other instruction manuals as garbage as well? And if you want to live under OT Law........be my guest, but that's tough to live by.

I don't hit my kids or spank them, and you can spare me the man-made religious garbage. Since you seem to like fiction and kids living in fear, don't forget the great quotes from the Old Testament that condone killing your kid if they don't turn out the way you had hoped:

If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and who, when they have chastened him, will not heed them, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city, to the gate of his city. And they shall say to the elders of his city, “This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.” Then all the men of his city shall stone him to death with stones; so you shall put away the evil from among you, and all Israel shall hear and fear. Deuteronomy 21:18–21
Why don’t you go eat lunch with the women the OP talked with. Sounds like you two are peas in a pod.

IdahoElk

WKR
My current Munsterlander has a very soft temperament , all I need to do is raise my voice and that's it, my Munster before this one was 10 on the shock collar before I got his attention and that barely got a rise.
Each dog is different but even with stubborn dogs hitting is more of a frustration response by me as it seldom has a positive affect and should be avoided.

Last edited:
God says you can also kill your child if you don't like how they turn out:

If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and who, when they have chastened him, will not heed them, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city, to the gate of his city. And they shall say to the elders of his city, “This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.” Then all the men of his city shall stone him to death with stones; so you shall put away the evil from among you, and all Israel shall hear and fear. (Deuteronomy 21:18–21
Do you believe men, son or not, has no responsibility for the person they become? But, more importantly, are you not aware of the law that Jesus Christ brought forth?

It’s common for atheists to quote things that support their contempt for towards the God of the Bible. As common as it is for “ Christians” to not represent the faith they proclaim. However, none of either changes the laws and commands that the Bible outlines. And, the results of not doing so.

I’m not here to argue your salvation. Only to tell you that the principal of discipline is required to produce beneficial results. And just like dogs, certain people need more assertion to get the idea of proper and accepted behavior. And, the God of the Bible gives man that ability in the New Testament.

I can read the anger in your words. And cipher it has more to do with your contempt for God than justifying your decisions concerning disciplining a child or dog.

There is difference between using a physical correction and beating a dog the latter has no place in it. The dog its self can also determine what you need to do. I messed my dog up saying "no here" to many times when we first started running blinds and expecting perfection. Had to go back and build his confidence back up and that was just simple verbal pressure. When it came to force to pile work i had to front sit him and back nick back as the traditional way of sending at the side just shut him down and we are talking low 1 and 2 on the collar i could hardly feel the tingle on my arm. Swim by i took an extra amount of time to teach teach teach before we forced at all to make sure he understood exactly what the collar meant. He is a funny dog and will stay in his feelings if i get on him to hard at the wrong time. Now with maturing and hitting 3 year old in Feb he can take a little more pressure and understands right and wrong decisions and a correction is not the end of the world. Crazy thing is talking to a pro who new a fc afc dog 3 generations back said Rudy had the same temperament. We went from blinds being a weak spot to getting compliments at finished tests on how he runs them.

On the other hand my friends dog that i train with his little female dont care if you would nail her with a 2x4 she wants more. Never holds a grudge and is just a million miles and hour. We both have learned alot having dogs on opposite ends of the spectrum.

It comes down to reading the dog in front of you and training with the smallest amount of pressure needed to get the results you want.
^^^^^That a well educated dog trainer right there.