Do you hit your dog ?

EdP

WKR
Folks who have to repeat themselves 3 times never really trained their dog.
Folks who have to repeat commands 3 times have trained their dog to respond the 3rd time a command is given.

I don't like the idea of striking a dog on the head. A gentle poke in the ribs or tap on the chest with the end of the leash is a lot better idea than striking the head to get its attention if distracted. Save the head for a pat to reward good behavior. Every time you move your hand to the dog's head you want it to know your intent is to reward, not punish. Otherwise, the dog doesn't know what is coming and that causes confusion. I'm not saying you are being abusive, just using a poor training technique which will keep you from getting optimal results.

I have a 14 month old Weimaraner and I take him everywhere I can . He minds pretty good , but gets distracted easily .
If I tell him to lay down and he doesn't , I smack him on the head with the end of the leash , just hard enough to make it pop .
A lady at the restaurant saw me do it and gave me a dirty look , so I asked her , Are you giving me a dirty look because I hit the dog ?
Yes she said and turned away with her nose in the air .
Am I wrong here ? I'm not hurting him , just hit him hard enough to get his attention . All my dogs have minded and everyone always comments on how well they listen to me .
I discipline my dogs just like I did my kids. So, they mind. Especially in public. Everyone that’s ever been exposed to them all was thankful for that. Just like the hag that you upset. Forgetaboutit.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
A pop under the chin to a dog is one thing, but Jesus, I can't understand someone that would hit their own kid.
You don't "hit" your kid, you spank your kids.....when they need it. I'll take Jesus' Father's instructions over the world's instruction every day of the week. Pretty clear instructions that work wonders on pets as well.

Proverbs 13:24 - He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.
Proverbs 22:15 - Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.
Proverbs 23:13 & 14 - Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.
Proverbs 29:15 - The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.

There is another level of obedience needed for working/hunting dogs than pets, with working dogs it can mean injury/death if they are not obedient...most folks don't understand/know that. Tell Karen to shut her pie hole and mind her own business.

I had a weimaraner for 13 years....they will get themselves in trouble quickly.

There is another level of obedience needed for working/hunting dogs than pets, with working dogs it can mean injury/death if they are not obedient...most folks don't understand/know that. Tell Karen to shut her pie hole and mind her own business.

I had a weimaraner for 13 years....they will get themselves in trouble quickly.
This. I have worked a police K9 for 8 years. It’s a whole other world with a working dog. It’s one command: one correction. If you don’t do that in my world; you get ate.

EDIT: I’ll add that you never correct out of malice. The dog does not understand that. All sins are forgiven right after the offense.

Great freaking thread! We just picked up a pup a couple months ago, a German Shepherd with some mix of other breeds.

I use both positive and e-collar training (I don't think shock is the best adjective). She's almost 8 months and is doing great! It helps that her breed is easy to train and listens well.

I used only positive and treats when she was really young. Now that she understands the commands, I use the e-collar for better discipline and reminders. FYI: I've got the dogtra 200c. Goes up to 100 and I've never went past 20, it usually sits around 8-9.

She's not perfect, but she's a pup still. She gets leeway when I feel it's appropriate but also reprimanded when she deserves it.

As far as hitting her, it's a last resort. If she doesn't have the e-collar on and gets too wild or a bit snippy, she gets a tap on the nose. Enough to show I mean business. After she realizes she pushed it, she calms down and it's back to fun time. I've also had to pin her down good when she tried being alpha.

It's important to not only discipline, but also be her best friend. I'm the one on the floor playing with her, wrestling with her, playing tug-o-war, walking her, letting her know what's acceptable or not. I also am the one who feeds her 90% of the time. Not hard to figure out who she listens to the best in our house.

I always love the idea of the emotional bank. You have to put in a lot of emotional positives with dogs and children so when you make an emotional withdraw, they understand it's out of love.

Lastly, with hitting kids. I've got two boys and they're pretty wild, stubborn. They've both had a spanking but only once or twice to know that when $hit gets real, that's a reality. This was also when they were younger and off the reservation bad. After that, just the warning of spanking was enough to correct their behavior. I also found out, telling them they're going to get spanked in an hour and they have to sit in their rooms, that's absolute torture and will do pretty much anything to change my mind. Same thing, put in plenty of those emotional positives for when you sometimes have to take out an emotional withdraw.

Trees91

WKR
Hondo is wondering what I'm reading about 😂.
He's a pretty good dog now, but as a puppy he took a fair share of swats with a rolled up news paper. I didn't want him to associate my hands with punishment. Didn't want him to flinch when I go to pet him.
He'll get a light kick it the butt if he's out of line, that's about all he ever needs.
B90D2746-B861-47BF-AC93-2AE6B7704F84.jpeg

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I used to spank my dog. She grew up with huskies, and that’s apparently the only thing they understood. I doubt that’s really the case, but her folks aren’t exactly crack dog trainers. Anyways, spanking might work on huskies, but it certainly did not work on my sensitive little Aussie boy; he came to fear my wife regardless of what he did. She’d come home from work and he’d pee himself, likely out of fear, but since he can’t speak English yet, that’s an assumption.

For stuff like getting into the trash, we make him go into time out in another room with the door open. If he tries to come out, we get out the angry voices and tell him that he’s a bad dog and he has to stay. He views this as a fate worse than death.

For not listening, being rude in public etc, I’ll pinch a loose part of his skin on his neck or rump. I doubt it hurts, but it certainly gets his attention.

S.Clancy

WKR
Depends on the dog. All you need to do is maintain the alpha status. Sometimes that means physical contact, sometimes only a look. The goal is not to hurt the dog, the goal is for them to understand that you could hurt them if you needed to.

Worst fight I ever got in as an adult was with my Black Mouth Cur.
In the end, we were both bleeding.
I declared victory, but I had several holes in my arm.....
Sadly, he died of lead poisoning not long after.
Hell fire, that was a mean dog.

I'm more of a black lab guy these days. lol

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
I'm on my second chessie and yes, with both every once in a while I had to give a little wack for attention. I have used a E collar for both while hunting and sometimes just walking, and it works wonders. Dutch my new 2 year old is a beast, 90 lb chessie all bone, muscle and block head. Still a pup though, but he is awesome with kids, other dogs and a great retriever. Just stubborn as hell, and you have to be totally alpha or he's taking over. He thinks he's number 2 at this point, wife and daughter below him, haha.

He plays with a 1 year old great dane at 120lbs in the bog, and man, watch out because they will take your knees out!!

pcrossett

FNG
Dogs are not capable of being reasoned with (kids too) and reward/punishment is the language they speak. Dogs respond to physical correction. I put a shock collar on my dog along with 99% of upland game hunters. Only you can decide if it's malignant.

If my GSP did not have a shock collar on her at all times when we're out in the wilderness she would have been lost a long time ago. She has great recall but if she sees something the only way to break her focus and get her to listen is with the collar.

Similar to your lady...my mother in law is a complete animal lover. When we visit their house...my two dogs....both uncut males....a Drahthaar and Chessie...are the best behaved dogs. Down means down. Stay means stay. And leave it means leave it.

I cracked my dogs in front of her a few times. She still talks about it. I whacked my wife's untrained rescue dog once in front of her. Zero control and zero manners. She still talks about it to this day also.

She is a Dog Park lady. When I tell her stories of the dog fights around our house....she's floored. She calls the Drahthaar "Is that the killer dog"??? He's cool as a cucumber...but he will throw down in an instant.

I am the Human. I need to make good Human decisions. Because he will make Dog decisions. And those are often fueled by Balls and poor choices. They need guidance for operating in a human world.

I'm on my second chessie and yes, with both every once in a while I had to give a little wack for attention. I have used a E collar for both while hunting and sometimes just walking, and it works wonders. Dutch my new 2 year old is a beast, 90 lb chessie all bone, muscle and block head. Still a pup though, but he is awesome with kids, other dogs and a great retriever. Just stubborn as hell, and you have to be totally alpha or he's taking over. He thinks he's number 2 at this point, wife and daughter below him, haha.

He plays with a 1 year old great dane at 120lbs in the bog, and man, watch out because they will take your knees out!!
On my 3rd Chessie. He is by far the BIGGEST knucklehead I've ever dealt with. Beyond Loyal. But he is a true One Man dog. He is the most wannabe dominant, yet very Beta dog I've ever seen. He simply wont quit or submit.

More stitches two weeks ago. He is 0-79 lifetime to my Drahthaar. And he starts every one

KurtR

WKR
As I have advanced in retriever training. Timing is the most important thing with a correction. A few seconds to late and you cause confusion.

If you come home and the dog tore up the garbage whipping them 4 hours later they won’t know what the hell they did wrong.

Most people are not honest enough with them selves that 95% of the time it’s the humans fault for putting a dog in a situation they have not been prepared for.

Last edited: