Do you hit your dog ?

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
On my 3rd Chessie. He is by far the BIGGEST knucklehead I've ever dealt with. Beyond Loyal. But he is a true One Man dog. He is the most wannabe dominant, yet very Beta dog I've ever seen. He simply wont quit or submit.

More stitches two weeks ago. He is 0-79 lifetime to my Drahthaar. And he starts every one
Owe man, that can get expensive!! Yep, Dutch is a meathead for sure. He wants to be with me all the time because I hunt him and he knows his place, but he's a baby to my wife and daughter which is great. However, if we all are horseplaying in the house, he positions himself so that my wife and daughter get his butt and I get the fangs. He's playing too, but I know that if someone ever touched them, he's tearing some flesh.

Austink47

WKR
People who have not owned working dogs don’t understand what it takes to keep some of them them inline. Or the fact that if they don’t stay inline then they can’t do the things that make them the happiest. At the end of the day you and your dog have a much stronger bond and the dog has a better life than some pampered poodle that gets nothing but pets ever will.

nphunter

WKR
You don't "hit" your kid, you spank your kids.....when they need it. I'll take Jesus' Father's instructions over the world's instruction every day of the week. Pretty clear instructions that work wonders on pets as well.

Proverbs 13:24 - He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.
Proverbs 22:15 - Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.
Proverbs 23:13 & 14 - Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.
Proverbs 29:15 - The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.

Thank You for posting this!

I have 12yo black lab and a 4 month old yellow lab. When my old lab was younger I used physical correction but it was usually in the form of a quick pinch to the ear, neck, or ribs. For the puppy, it’s usually a little squeeze of her muzzle to keep her from nipping or a bump in the chest when she jumps up. I’ve never got or kicked them.

However, the pit bull that jumped the fence and went after my dog when I was walking her got a size 11 right to the face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
I would rather not but I have when very short of patience. Looking back on those instances there were other options. For down, physically pushing the dog down can work well but it depends on the dog/situation.
Not as a training tool for anything other than aggressive acts and I have trained very handler aggressive dogs, no fun there.

Last edited:
trash and crappin in the house,thats it. that lesson gets learned real fast and does not have to be repeated
everything else is my fault, it does irk ma a tad when i miss a shot and she yells at me though,she always expects something to fall from the sky,even knows the sound of the safety clicking off,
favorite command "fetch the blonde".......

People who have not owned working dogs don’t understand what it takes to keep some of them them inline. Or the fact that if they don’t stay inline then they can’t do the things that make them the happiest. At the end of the day you and your dog have a much stronger bond and the dog has a better life than some pampered poodle that gets nothing but pets ever will.
It frustrates me when I see someone with an Australian Shepherd, or some other type of cattle dog and they live in an apartment or house with a postage sized yard. The amount of running and exercise those dogs need to stay healthy obedient is crazy! They're made for the country, not the city. If you're not going to exercise your dog or just take a walk around the block once a week, get a damn purse dog!

Depends on the dog. All you need to do is maintain the alpha status. Sometimes that means physical contact, sometimes only a look. The goal is not to hurt the dog, the goal is for them to understand that you could hurt them if you needed to.
Yes. And a bunch more. There are sone great posts here. It’s obvious the responsibility of owning a dog is not lost.

I will add that discipline tactics have varied with my dogs. Based on breed and temperament. But, I never used contact to the head. And, I make sure the dog is aware of it coming. So, there’s no misunderstanding why it happened. And, I can’t truly remember having to do it more than twice on any dog.

I don’t want the dog to fear me. I want it’s total trust. I never discipline with any part of my body. Except when lease training. If they pull, I warn with a slap of the leash across its back and a verbal command. It usually takes a couple walks and actions before the dog totally gets the reality it has no choice but to follow the rules. Each swat increases in intensity. Until it reaches a point that it begins to start hurting. That’s when they listen. And if reinforced as needed, it won’t take long and it’s not needed.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
You don't "hit" your kid, you spank your kids.....when they need it. I'll take Jesus' Father's instructions over the world's instruction every day of the week. Pretty clear instructions that work wonders on pets as well.

Proverbs 13:24 - He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.
Proverbs 22:15 - Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.
Proverbs 23:13 & 14 - Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.
Proverbs 29:15 - The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.
I don't hit my kids or spank them, and you can spare me the man-made religious garbage. Since you seem to like fiction and kids living in fear, don't forget the great quotes from the Old Testament that condone killing your kid if they don't turn out the way you had hoped:

If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and who, when they have chastened him, will not heed them, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city, to the gate of his city. And they shall say to the elders of his city, “This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.” Then all the men of his city shall stone him to death with stones; so you shall put away the evil from among you, and all Israel shall hear and fear. Deuteronomy 21:18–21

I have had Akitas for the last 25ish years. Almost every one of them, at some point when they are very young will bite me, to try and challenge me for the alpha spot. Every one of them, I've pinned down, and bit them on the ear until they cry, and stop struggling. Not one of them has ever tried to bite me since. I don't hit them though, they wouldn't even feel it, and would probably think it was a game. They do best with positive reward based training, negative correctives are only used very sparingly, they get resentful. This method came from a trainer friend who specializes in guardian breeds, and often has to wrangle in dogs like Pits and Shepards that have gotten out of control and are going to be euthanized if he can't get them back on the rails.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
Thank You for posting this!
God says you can also kill your child if you don't like how they turn out:

If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and who, when they have chastened him, will not heed them, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city, to the gate of his city. And they shall say to the elders of his city, “This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.” Then all the men of his city shall stone him to death with stones; so you shall put away the evil from among you, and all Israel shall hear and fear. (Deuteronomy 21:18–21

id_jon

WKR
Lol that lady should see how dogs correct each other's behavior, it's far less pretty than a tapon the nose.

Definitely depends on the dog though, my griff turns into Eyore if you use too harsh of a tone, my draht that passed away would pretty much always fall right in line like "oh yep, you're right boss" after a light tap or harsh word.

manitou1

WKR
Never.
The dogs we have had over the past 30 years never needed or deserved it. I suppose it is because we spend a lot of time with them.
My bird dogs all wore shock collars but only needed zapped about once a season for a reminder... mainly to keep them out of trouble or from being lost or hurt. The buzzer sufficed thereafter.

Rich M

WKR
And then being consistent. My soon to be ex likes to blame me when our (becoming my) dog misbehaves, but she's the one that started giving him table scraps and letting him on the furniture. Doesn't matter how you train them early if you abandon that training and reinforce the opposite later.

We were talking about this at lunch - guy is training a brittany here at work. He was inadvertently rewarding his dog for not listening. Tells dog to do x. dog goes and putzes around, then does x and gets a reward after goofing off. Should not get treat.

I'm as much of a pushover as anyone. Don't like a dog that runs around and go nuts when owner tells it to heel or come or whatever. Someone dropped the ball on the training and it seems to come from have a wife and kid in the house.

*zap*

WKR
I see lots of dogs that have the 'pay no mind' command down pat. People walk those dogs off leash here..well, actually they do not even bother to bring a leash with them..just another component of where our society is at. Not within reality.

I have a 14 month old Weimaraner and I take him everywhere I can . He minds pretty good , but gets distracted easily .
If I tell him to lay down and he doesn't , I smack him on the head with the end of the leash , just hard enough to make it pop .
A lady at the restaurant saw me do it and gave me a dirty look , so I asked her , Are you giving me a dirty look because I hit the dog ?
Yes she said and turned away with her nose in the air .
Am I wrong here ? I'm not hurting him , just hit him hard enough to get his attention . All my dogs have minded and everyone always comments on how well they listen to me .
Dont pay any attention to her, shes probably from California and those people havent lived in reality since the 1960s. Next time just hit her too and the problem should solve itself. Hit her harder than you would your dog though, thats half of her problem.

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
Wow , thanks guys for the replies ! Buddy does really well most of the time . I take him out for walks off his leash and he knows he has to listen , he ranges out , but comes back when told . He knows "leave it" and "stay" . He points everything , stays until I release him , then flushes whatever it is . He pointed a Tortoise the other day , I released him and he thought it was going to run away , it was hilarious when he ran into it . I got that on video on my phone .
He minds great , but when there's a lot going on it overwhelms him .
I will stop hitting him on the head though , thank you .

I have a story about the last black lab I took out because his owner said he didn’t listen and wouldn’t fetch ducks for him. Owner spent north of $3k to have him trained up by a guy who’s been training labs for 30 years. Owner said he was doing everything wrong in the duck blind. Took the dog out for a day and my friends and I limited out with the dog doing everything right. Next day we took the dog out with the owner. The dog showed fear when the owner was present and was hiding behind me. Asked him if he ever hit his dog when he wasn’t doing something right and he said yes. Needless to say the black labs demeanor changed when he was near his owner from the unneeded abuse that dog has suffered.

Don’t hit or kick dogs when they don’t deserve it. Shock collars are cheap and even a simple vibration will keep a dog in check. Never hit my lab and she’s 14. Had over 2000 retrieves.

Don’t be a shitty dog owner.