CPW Commission is proposing ALL DRAW for elk

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly. And everyone else has their own differing opinion, including the CPW and the game commission. Kind of like God creating everything and everybody, setting the rules and expectations, creating the guide book/users manual.......and then folks come up with their own opinion on how things should be run......LOL.
CPW seems to have an open ear and persistence can pay off. I feel we have made some progress, pretty organized and consistent with our message. Worst case it doesn’t happen but an hour or so a week from a group of 7 can actually deliver a strong message these days. Technology is helpful.

are you referring to second testament? I guess people really wanted pork and cheeseburgers.

Colorado gives out upwards of 200-350% more licenses to non residents than the average western state. BHAs article points out "55% of the licenses have the potential to be allocated to non-resident hunters in certain units (20% landowner preference plus 35% non-resident allocation".
That's not really accurate regarding the 20% going to landowners. 10% goes to PLO and I would argue that's pretty restrictive for a NR to spend $800 on bull tag (in addition to the PLO voucher cost) where he can't step foot onto public. Most PLOs are sold to residents.
  • General Quota Pool: 10% of all general public quota may be issued as a voucher that is valid for the specific hunt code
  • Restricted Quota Pool: 10% of all general public quota may be issued as a voucher that is valid for the specific hunt code AND is restricted to Private-Land-Only

LostArra

WKR
CPW seems to have an open ear and persistence can pay off. I feel we have made some progress, pretty organized and consistent with our message. Worst case it doesn’t happen but an hour or so a week from a group of 7 can actually deliver a strong message these days. Technology is helpful.

are you referring to second testament? I guess people really wanted pork and cheeseburgers.
I think technology actually created the problem. (Boomer here)

I find it funny how mystical and utopian some units are viewed, and that seems to suck so many folks into their spell of grandeur, and just "have to hunt" those particular units.......or the whole system sucks and doesn't work.

Just like most every other unit in CO, most hunters in 76 eat their tags. Many more shoot bulls that you can easily find in OTC units. But everyone thinks they just "have to hunt" these particular units. And if they can't, the system is rigged and unfair.....LOL.

Will it be possible for someone to hunt unit 76 if they just start out now collecting points? Probably not. Is that a problem? Not at all. Unit 76 is but one unit in a state filled with elk hunting opportunities. Are things changing? Of course, everywhere. For what has been perceived as a dying sport, elk hunting demand just keeps increasing. Just 10 years ago, things weren't bad here at all, even for NR's. Ya, things have changed. Demand is through the roof for a so-called "dying sport". And we're living in a "perceived" entitlement era. But folks should be changing their expectations to match that reality as well. And be looking at what opportunities are possible and do exist.......not what isn't possible. I should have every right and opportunity to build a home in Aspen, but that just isn't a realistic expectation for me, while for many others.....it is. Do I dwell on that? NO. Plenty of other places to live and/or hunt.
Ha! An uncomfortable truth for every unit.

Gapmaster

WKR
This was likely already asked and apologize if it was, I just scanned the thread after a few pages. What is you all’s consensus on point creep if CO goes all draw? I’m guessing a big jump for a couple years??

Gerbdog

WKR
This was likely already asked and apologize if it was, I just scanned the thread after a few pages. What is you all’s consensus on point creep if CO goes all draw? I’m guessing a big jump for a couple years??
i gave this some thought yesterday and really i cant make a fair prediction.... my guess is that if you've been chasing a unit for awhile now your gonna keep chasing (ideally your close) and if you have one or two points... probably gonna blow em cause you may as well. I suspect there wont be as big a point creep as i thought there would be when i started thinking about it.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
Says the guy that couldn't figure out how the system they set up works.

I like being the guy sitting on 24 PP and have been hunting every year too. Is that villain status yet?

Hunting either OTC or 2nd choice draw tags that others don't want LoL, but there's no hunting opportunities in Colorado at all.
I have done the same for a long time. It is problem, so going to work to change it.

Overdrive

WKR
I have done the same for a long time. It is problem, so going to work to change it.
So let me get this straight, you say you've done the same and yet your willing to handicap yourself because you haven't drawn a LE tag?

So if you can't draw, no one else should be able to build points and try for a covenant LE tag? Got it your a whiner.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
So let me get this straight, you say you've done the same and yet your willing to handicap yourself because you haven't drawn a LE tag?

So if you can't draw, no one else should be able to build points and try for a covenant LE tag? Got it your a whiner.
I think we have issues with overcrowding and the experience is not the same. I believe this would help limit it And address issues with point creep. I don’t think making a personal sacrifice for the greater good is whining,

The issues with point creep are kind of a separate subject altogether. I decided long ago that I'd rather hunt units and seasons requiring less points than go many years without being able to hunt. Yes, you can go OTC with no points every year, but for obvious reasons, that's not a strategy my group chooses.

Overdrive

WKR
I think we have issues with overcrowding and the experience is not the same. I believe this would help limit it And address issues with point creep. I don’t think making a personal sacrifice for the greater good is whining,
People building PP's have nothing to do with over crowding, I've hunted Colorado for 30+ years and have never felt crowded and have been very successful.

Be careful what you wish for, if Colorado were to change to random draw you may never draw a tag again and wonder what happened.

I don't even want to see OTC go away, I make money off of NR because of the OTC licenses.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
People building PP's have nothing to do with over crowding, I've hunted Colorado for 30+ years and have never felt crowded and have been very successful.

Be careful what you wish for, if Colorado were to change to random draw you may never draw a tag again and wonder what happened.

I don't even want to see OTC go away, I make money off of NR because of the OTC licenses.
If you have to use your PP to hunt even OTC you don’t think numbers would go down? I am not worried about hunting opportunities, there are more opportunities than I have time. I have been successful as well, but it has certainly changed.

I don’t profit from the current situation, so I don’t mind changes especially if they help.

Overdrive

WKR
If you have to use your PP to hunt even OTC you don’t think numbers would go down? I am not worried about hunting opportunities, there are more opportunities than I have time. I have been successful as well, but it has certainly changed.

I don’t profit from the current situation, so I don’t mind changes especially if they help.
If PP's are used for OTC then it's not OTC. OTC is the backbone of the CPW budget, if anything a Capped number of licenses instead of unlimited would help with crowding in some units, and combine 4-6 units together.

I don't think the upper tier PP numbers would go down at all.

I find it funny how mystical and utopian some units are viewed, and that seems to suck so many folks into their spell of grandeur, and just "have to hunt" those particular units.......or the whole system sucks and doesn't work.

Just like most every other unit in CO, most hunters in 76 eat their tags. Many more shoot bulls that you can easily find in OTC units. But everyone thinks they just "have to hunt" these particular units. And if they can't, the system is rigged and unfair.....LOL.

Will it be possible for someone to hunt unit 76 if they just start out now collecting points? Probably not. Is that a problem? Not at all. Unit 76 is but one unit in a state filled with elk hunting opportunities. Are things changing? Of course, everywhere. For what has been perceived as a dying sport, elk hunting demand just keeps increasing. Just 10 years ago, things weren't bad here at all, even for NR's. Ya, things have changed. Demand is through the roof for a so-called "dying sport". And we're living in a "perceived" entitlement era. But folks should be changing their expectations to match that reality as well. And be looking at what opportunities are possible and do exist.......not what isn't possible. I should have every right and opportunity to build a home in Aspen, but that just isn't a realistic expectation for me, while for many others.....it is. Do I dwell on that? NO.
YOU ARE EXACTLY RIGHT! I agree with every comment you made. You are preaching to the choir. I am also in favor of All Draw.

Just For Clarification ... I have seen some absolutely outstanding Bulls in GMU 76 and I know where they tend to hang out. Therefore, I would love to hunt it. I merely stated that I will never have the opportunity to do so with the present point system. There is no "..spell of grandeur...". The Point System has it flaws, unfortunately, I won't live long enough to hunt many other units as well. However, I don't spend my summers in those units, so I mentioned 76. I said it was "unfortunate", but certainly not a "Deal breaker". I have hunted Colorado 10 of the last 13 years so I am definitely looking at the opportunities that exist. Unfortunately with Social Media and YouTube it is now in high demand.

Gapmaster

WKR
I like everyone else on this thread know things need to change, it has gotten ridiculous to say the least in some units. I just hate to see it. I started elk hunting when my father took me for the first time at 15. We went every year there after for 25 years to archery OTC units. I remember his last hunt and how he was old but the light in his eyes still lit up. My youngest is 15 and I was looking forward to the same opportunities of taking him every year until that sad day when I couldn’t pull the hills. The younger generations are the real losers of lost opportunities. Maybe it will be better, maybe a guy can still go every year. I guess time will tell. I’m a NR but I see the resentment and understand the residents frustrations.

HoytHntr4

WKR
All OTC units should be converted turned into something like general units with tag #’s set by the CPW that is a separate draw, random with no points. Adding more draw units into an already terrible preference point system doesn’t seem like a great idea to me

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
Awww you want less pressure but not at your expense… you want someone else to subsidize it….image that… lol

No, it was just a dumb idea that's all. I actually thought you were just trolling trying to be funny....

INo, it was just a dumb idea that's all. I actually thought you were just trolling trying to be funny....
I was on the min pt to enter draw,

Every Body wants less hunters in the field as long as they don’t fall in the “ less” bucket.