CPW Commission is proposing ALL DRAW for elk

Overdrive

WKR
One of the issues I see with going all draw is now you've created a PP value on OTC units, maybe not the first year but in the following years. The first year let's say 100K tags are available and 150K hunters apply. Well that means 50K hunters were awarded a PP for that year they will get preference the next year. Then the vicious cycle of point creep continues but at a lower level of PP's. So now if a resident doesn't draw the first year they can't hunt their own state? Isn't that one of the issues they are trying to resolve.

Going to a draw does nothing for overcrowding unless there is a reduction in total licenses available. If 1000 NR don't hunt next year there are a 1000 NR that will still get those licenses , the same logic can be applied for residents. The hunting pressure doesn't change.

The same logic can be applied to the guys saying that PP 's should be used on any license held, well guy's that have invested years aren't going to burn PP's on lesser tags, they've set there sights on a specific unit. If they are forced to sit out, guess what you'll have someone replace them in the woods anyway. The hunting pressure doesn't change.

What a lot of you guys are asking for is a total reduction in licenses and chance to hunt. I want to be able to hunt every year and see others have that chance too. I'd rather them not mess with the current draw, if they do something with OTC I'd rather see a Capped sale of licenses, some area's may sell out fast and some area's won't but the chance to hunt is still there for all, the CPW should have enough info of what ares's need less pressure and area's they could keep the same.

sndmn11

WKR
One of the issues I see with going all draw is now you've created a PP value on OTC units, maybe not the first year but in the following years. The first year let's say 100K tags are available and 150K hunters apply. Well that means 50K hunters were awarded a PP for that year they will get preference the next year. Then the vicious cycle of point creep continues but at a lower level of PP's. So now if a resident doesn't draw the first year they can't hunt their own state? Isn't that one of the issues they are trying to resolve.

Going to a draw does nothing for overcrowding unless there is a reduction in total licenses available. If 1000 NR don't hunt next year there are a 1000 NR that will still get those licenses , the same logic can be applied for residents. The hunting pressure doesn't change.

The same logic can be applied to the guys saying that PP 's should be used on any license held, well guy's that have invested years aren't going to burn PP's on lesser tags, they've set there sights on a specific unit. If they are forced to sit out, guess what you'll have someone replace them in the woods anyway. The hunting pressure doesn't change.

What a lot of you guys are asking for is a total reduction in licenses and chance to hunt. I want to be able to hunt every year and see others have that chance too. I'd rather them not mess with the current draw, if they do something with OTC I'd rather see a Capped sale of licenses, some area's may sell out fast and some area's won't but the chance to hunt is still there for all, the CPW should have enough info of what ares's need less pressure and area's they could keep the same.

I think you will see high amounts of licenses for units that go from OTC to draw. The smart folks will put in for them as second choice, and bank their first choice point.

The leftover list will turn into the new OTC list like it was ten years ago where tags would sit for days or weeks before being purchased.

I think if there was an "any tag uses your points" rule you'd see massive point creep in 2+ point hunt codes, and you'd see thousands of licenses never purchased.

My wish would be for assigned DAU OTC licenses for elk, and it would be cool to see something incorporated into the draw as a "special" OTC to capitalize on qualifying licenses and PR dollars. Perhaps "special" OTC is for the better DAUs, or maybe a larger block of DAUs.

Overdrive

WKR
I think you will see high amounts of licenses for units that go from OTC to draw. The smart folks will put in for them as second choice, and bank their first choice point.

The leftover list will turn into the new OTC list like it was ten years ago where tags would sit for days or weeks before being purchased.

I think if there was an "any tag uses your points" rule you'd see massive point creep in 2+ point hunt codes, and you'd see thousands of licenses never purchased.

My wish would be for assigned DAU OTC licenses for elk, and it would be cool to see something incorporated into the draw as a "special" OTC to capitalize on qualifying licenses and PR dollars. Perhaps "special" OTC is for the better DAUs, or maybe a larger block of DAUs.
I have no issues with people getting a point and hunting second choices, it's how the system has been put in place. Some feel cheated or whatever but they could've been doing the same for years.

Yeah I agree with the DAU for OTC but would still like to just see it set up with caps instead of draw. There would probably still be plenty of licenses in some DAU's and others would sell out with the Capped method. By doing it Capped it wouldn't turn the OTC DAU's into a PP creep nightmare.

If CPW wanted to take full advantage of qualifying licenses for PR funds, they would charge it for ALL big game licenses purchased thru Draw, OTC, Leftover. That would get some people mad.

Time will tell, right now it's all speculation/proposal and we probably won't see changes until the next 5 year season structure. If sooner I guess we'll see who chooses to cross the bridge.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
I have no issues with people getting a point and hunting second choices, it's how the system has been put in place. Some feel cheated or whatever but they could've been doing the same for years.
we all have been doing it for years, some people just don’t see the problem with it. I certainly would have skipped numerous CO hunts to keep points. As it is I will do 2 CO elk hunts , a deer, and antelope, while still adding PP, then add WY for those same animals each year, WY takes a bit longer now so every few years.

with the overcrowding issues, I can hunt up to 3 elk season, deer and antelope all while adding to my PP, if I needed to burn PP to hunt that certainly changes the number of hunters in the field.

Overdrive

WKR
we all have been doing it for years, some people just don’t see the problem with it. I certainly would have skipped numerous CO hunts to keep points. As it is I will do 2 CO elk hunts , a deer, and antelope, while still adding PP, then add WY for those same animals each year, WY takes a bit longer now so every few years.

with the overcrowding issues, I can hunt up to 3 elk season, deer and antelope all while adding to my PP, if I needed to burn PP to hunt that certainly changes the number of hunters in the field.
And like I stated I have no problem with people building PP's and hunting the same year, looks as if you have done it too, that's how the system has been for all. If you feel so guilty about it then you should stop immediately and for go doing it in the future.

Wyoming? I thought this was a Colorado Commissioners meeting topic.

Overcrowding, huh where to start. Let's see, if you use a PP to hunt you get a license and are part of the crowd. If you choose not to get a license and build your PP's then someone else gets that license and hunts and is now part of the crowd, I don't see a change in overcrowding. Changing PP usage won't change overcrowding.

Wouldn’t cpw be losing a lot of money with not offering otc tags to non residents? Seems like all cpw cares about is money and they make it my the boat load from the out of staters.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
Wouldn’t cpw be losing a lot of money with not offering otc tags to non residents? Seems like all cpw cares about is money and they make it my the boat load from the out of staters.
Population at 6 million, heading to 10 million. The stakeholders have changed.

Wow, I looked at the membership - yes, you are screwed, the makeup of that committee is horrible for the and bullet crowd.
Jeez, I just perused their profiles, as well. Looks like several were appointed just to meet political agendas. Only a few hunters and ranchers. Certainly a small number that could be considered experts in managing wildlife.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Jeez, I just perused their profiles, as well. Looks like several were appointed just to meet political agendas. Only a few hunters and ranchers. Certainly a small number that could be considered experts in managing wildlife.

I'm sure the Colorado Governor Jared Polis's husband is very much involved with the selection of the CWC. And he's very much an animal rights activist.

hobbes

WKR
It's not rocket science for anyone to see exactly what it'll look like, provided the licenses are unit specific. Colorado has been doing it for deer for years. Why would it look any different?

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
It's not rocket science for anyone to see exactly what it'll look like, provided the licenses are unit specific. Colorado has been doing it for deer for years. Why would it look any different?

Well... Wyoming has been doing it for years too and they are looking at changing Areas to Regions for elk

Well… here are the resumes of the Wildlife Commission…

Based on them… I think we are doomed.

And what are the resumes of all the WKRS that know better?

3forks

WKR
And what are the resumes of all the WKRS that know better?
Are you kidding?

You don’t have to possess a degree in wildlife management to be able to accurately assess what overcrowding and pressure are doing to hunting in Colorado.

I wouldn’t expect the commission to have all the answers, but appointing board members with very little to no experience in hunting and fishing, to determine policies/strategies related to hunting and fishing is asinine.

How many corporations do you think have boards comprised of members who have no relevant business experience or knowledge?

In addition, how many shareholders of that corporation would tolerate a board chosen not because they have the experience to make the corporation successful, but rather because they can fill a diversity requirement?

hobbes

WKR
Well... Wyoming has been doing it for years too and they are looking at changing Areas to Regions for elk
Is that something that is being discussed? I'm seriously asking not being an ass. My response had more to do with the discussion on PP. If they stick to the same unit structure, why will preference points work, accumulate, creep, etc. any different than what they have done with deer. There just seems to be a sky is falling from some folks and I don't recall it falling when they went this route with deer, but I got to Colorado afterwards and apparently left before the OTC pressure got out of control.

Something needs to be done. Regions with a drawing doesn't sound like a bad idea. One way or another, it's past time to make it a draw and cap the NR numbers.

I'm on the side of the resident hunter in Colorado. You've been slapped around for long enough by being everyone's guaranteed tag. Good luck with sorting out the details.

Last edited: