CPW Commission is proposing ALL DRAW for elk

LFC911

WKR
That was mostly for the park and Estes Park Valley, where this isn't hunting allowed anyways.
As i recall it was north of town and I believe it was west creek trail, which went into the forest where hunting is allowed, not the park obviously. That was the only trail where i saw you had to make a reservation.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Perhaps they should make archery season traditional only......no compounds. That "might" put a dent in pressure. Or it might not. I'd pick up a recurve in a heartbeat if they did that.

Another thing........how do all these other states manage their wildlife programs while limiting NR's to 10-20% of the tags? If they can make it work financially, then CO should be able to do the same with all that less revenue from cutting NR tags.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Day 2 of CPW Commish meetings recap:

CPW finally admitted to screwing up the moose, goat, and sheep draw by waving the up front fee.

Seriously considering a change to the weighted point style of draw.

Two other big things were no elk hunting for fourth season, deer only.

They also strongly suggested mandatory harvest surveys and if they are not done you cannot apply the following year similar to what New Mexico does.

To your point, you put in some amount of time/money/secrecy/thought/etc into figuring out a hunt code that others don't seem to want, and have a positive attitude about that. Would you have done so if it took all of your points each season?
Yes. Reality of point creep is that prized LE tag for a NR will mostly likely be more than most have physically left by the time the draw it. I was reminded of it in ‘21. I helped pack out a bull for a 70 year old NR. Think that tag took them 23 points, if they didn’t have Handicap permit they would of never got to the elk, and if they didn’t have me and few others they wouldn’t of gotten that elk out. That’s the harsh reality of a PP system. As a large percentage, the only ones young enough to really hunt the high end units are essentially residents that take a much lessor PP to draw.

Obviously I would like to hunt while accruing points but in reality if you gave me a choice of 2 -5 LE tags in a lifetime vs hunt every year in OTC/Left over tag unit. I would pick hunt every year.

sndmn11

WKR
Yes. Reality of point creep is that prized LE tag for a NR will mostly likely be more than most have physically left by the time the draw it. I was reminded of it in ‘21. I helped pack out a bull for a 70 year old NR. Think that tag took them 23 points, if they didn’t have Handicap permit they would of never got to the elk, and if they didn’t have me and few others they wouldn’t of gotten that elk out. That’s the harsh reality of a PP system. As a large percentage, the only ones young enough to really hunt the high end units are essentially residents that take a much lessor PP to draw.

Obviously I would like to hunt while accruing points but in reality if you gave me a choice of 2 -5 LE tags in a lifetime vs hunt every year in OTC/Left over tag unit. I would pick hunt every year.

The simultaneous reality is that 70yo could have hunted 10+ LE tags in that same time period but made the deliberate decision not to.

You aren't going to draw anything in second through third choices that a person will want to use points on. I can't see someone wanting to use their points on a list B doe or cow tag. For wildlife management purposes, I think those types of tags need some encouragement to be sought, and if a person can get those without using points still it would fall in line with that thought.
Maybe do what UT does and make the antlerless draw a separate draw with separate points. If you want to hunt antlers you burn your points on any tag. Then the antlerless tags will still sell out for management purposes.

sndmn11

WKR
Maybe do what UT does and make the antlerless draw a separate draw with separate points. If you want to hunt antlers you burn your points on any tag. Then the antlerless tags will still sell out for management purposes.

I'd be fine with that, but you are still looking at the majority of all available limited hunt codes obtained on second choice to leftover. You'll still have the same "problem" when people say any drawn tag should lose points.

Jaquomo

WKR
I'm in Utah, not Colorado , so I may be missing something here but why would residents want OTC tags to go to a draw when it sounds like non-residents are causing the crowding? Wouldn't you want CPW to limit non-resident tag numbers?
Weve been calling for this for decades. But that big NR money talks......

Jaquomo

WKR
Perhaps they should make archery season traditional only......no compounds. That "might" put a dent in pressure. Or it might not. I'd pick up a recurve in a heartbeat if they did that.

Another thing........how do all these other states manage their wildlife programs while limiting NR's to 10-20% of the tags? If they can make it work financially, then CO should be able to do the same with all that less revenue from cutting NR tags.
CPW has to spend a hell of a lot of resources on non game PC wildlife programs and suburban wildlife conflicts. We have over 6 million people, growing to 10 million soon. They have a bloated budget and find ways to spend it all.

I'm in Utah, not Colorado , so I may be missing something here but why would residents want OTC tags to go to a draw when it sounds like non-residents are causing the crowding? Wouldn't you want CPW to limit non-resident tag numbers?

I was thinking something similar. Do limited draw only for non-residents while allowing residents to enjoy their resources. Don’t have a dog in the fight though.

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
Make all NR elk tags unit specific and draw only. Take average # of OTC NR hunters over last 3 years and reduce by 20%. Raise NR prices to whatever they need to be to meet revenue goals - for decent hunting they could sell tags for 2 grand all day long with a line waiting for next year. Mandatory harvest reporting.

Start there, adjust as necessary. Shouldn’t be all that complicated.

23 years ago there were "no decent" units? 20 years ago? 10 years?

How many hunt codes in 2000 took 23 points?
Hunting Licenses sales since 1990 have been pretty flat, regardless we are in present and moving forward. What’s the whole reason for this thread again? Oh Res want more LE tags and no competition when hunting OTC units while building points. Yet tags are flat…

8BCBB65C-3F99-442F-AE57-FDE08812E175.png