Coffee While Hunting

blasterak

FNG
Jetboil coffee press with ground coffee, good stuff. I'll pass on instant coffee, jetboil press makes for quick and easy good coffee anywhere. Jetboil coffee was great on the bad weather days stuck in tent while caribou and sheep hunting a few months ago.

Dinger

WKR
I got to try the Via sachets when I was overseas recently as they are not sold in Australia. I'd considered shipping some over, but the costs were astronomical.

All I can say is I now know why they are not sold here, no-one here is tough enough to drink them!

I'll take this out with me too knock up a nice espresso with some fresh grind....and yes, to me it is worth the weight.

Life is too short to drink shit coffee.

MINIPRESSO GR – Wacaco
20170708_100007-X3.jpg

prm

WKR
B08C21CC-57AA-4E63-B3EB-4EAB3F95DF2A.jpg

I’ve tried many options for having great coffee while in the backcountry. I used a Hario v60 this year. Very light, and made great cups of coffee. I roast the coffee.

Tandala Coffee

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Every pour over I've tried just hasn't tasted good, no matter what coffee grounds I used. Not sure why a drip coffee maker makes it taste better.

I also used to have these little bags that I could put whatever coffee I wanted in (similar to those tea bag type coffee pods) and no matter the quality of the beans, it never came out tasting good or even close to what it should have.

We even have those little fill-able K-cups and no matter the grind, they just don't taste good even using them in the Keurig.

So I guess I am a coffee snob.......because I love my Italian Roast Via's. I just won't pay more than 30 cents for one. So I'm more of a cheapskate than a coffee snob.

I haven't read the entire 4 pages of posts but will say that after doing some research last year I bought a Zojirushi thermos for coffee. The thing will keep coffee hot for hours and has a locking lid which works well in a pack. I used it gun weekend deer hunting in Illinois this fall and it worked well.

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
I'm lazy so I use instant. Some are better than others, you just have to try them to find out...

I use an Rtic bottle to carry it away from camp. Keeps it hot for hours...

prm

WKR
Every pour over I've tried just hasn't tasted good, no matter what coffee grounds I used. Not sure why a drip coffee maker makes it taste better.

I also used to have these little bags that I could put whatever coffee I wanted in (similar to those tea bag type coffee pods) and no matter the quality of the beans, it never came out tasting good or even close to what it should have.

We even have those little fill-able K-cups and no matter the grind, they just don't taste good even using them in the Keurig.

So I guess I am a coffee snob.......because I love my Italian Roast Via's. I just won't pay more than 30 cents for one. So I'm more of a cheapskate than a coffee snob.

Try using a finer grind with the pour over to get a good flavor.

16Bore

WKR
You get cold and tired enough and yesterday's grounds in creek water will taste like it was hand picked by Juan Valdez and served by a topless barista...

OP
lyle_destroys
I was perfectly happy with MRE coffee for quite a while, think its nescafe of something. And it is garbage.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Back when a pour over meant pouring the coffee in your mouth then taking a big swig of water.

Hahaha I’d have my “pour over” right after I made a cookie by mixing the sugar into the creamer packet and then cooking the foil creamer packet with a lighter. Still lots of daytrips I don’t pack any food but do bring an MRE spoon. Just in case.

Poser

WKR
I’ll tow the Rockslide line and also vouch for Vias. I, too, have tried other methods and it always comes back to Vias even though I’m mighty particular about Coffee and almost never drink Starbucks with the exception of airports if there is no other option.

positivepete!

Lil-Rokslider
I drink tea. I find that there are many different "strengths" you can brew it to. Also there are many different types to fit your fancy. I also like chicken bullion cubes. It is a good pick me up on cold days.