Coffee While Hunting

Loco4dux

WKR
At home I will mess with pour over and pressing and all that BS but hunting I’m all in on the via. Fast and pretty damn good. My via purchases are about all scumbags get out of me though.

eamyrick

WKR
I’m the same as you. I boil water and use a press at camp but need to take some with me (or I die). Instead of my heavy yeti thermos I switched to a GSI microlite insulates bottle. The sell them at REI. It’s half the weight of the yeti and keep coffee warm most of the day.

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
I use a jetboil and mix one of each of the packs below. Makes the perfect cup for me and I don't have to pack separate sweetener and creamer. I usually stop mid morning when I'm hunting in the Colorado mountains and enjoy a hot cup. It's the best coffee I have all year, regardless of the taste.

Amazon.com : G7 3-in-1 Instant Premium Vietnamese Coffee, 100 Servings/Sachets : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Amazon.com : Cafe Bustelo Instant Espresso Coffee Single Serve Packets (Pack of 4) : Grocery & Gourmet Food

I do what i call cowboy coffee. Boil water in pot, dump in coffee grounds, turn power off, wait 30 seconds or so for grounds to settle, either add power milk and stir of if you are feeling fancy, slowly pour into cup leaving the grounds settled and add power milk there. Does it for me and is fairly simple and you don't need to lug around any single use gizmos or wrappers.

If you sprinkle a little cold water on top it will help sink those grounds straight to the bottom. When making coffee in camp with a enamel coffee pot I pour a little down the spout and it settles them pretty good

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
My wife and I are coffee snobs big time. Whenever either of us is traveling inevitably we text "Have I said God Bless VIAS yet!?"
I have tried most all contraptions and options. VIAS all the way

bat-cave

WKR
+1 for BRC. I use my JetBoil on the go or brew at home/camp and put it into my thermos as its sure makes long sits that much easier. I use a Hydroflask thermos in the field (assuming I brewed at camp/home). The only downside is that it can be LOUD if you smack into it with the rattlng antlers! I'd love to find a good thermos with a rubberized surface that doesn't significantly increase the bottle diameter as what I have fits nicely in the side pocker of all my packs.

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
Caffeinated hot chocolate for me. Gives a little sugar boost plus caffeine

Coffee in a thermos is great for truck camping, and stand sits, but I haven't found an instant coffee I like better than hot chocolate

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My wife and I are coffee snobs big time. Whenever either of us is traveling inevitably we text "Have I said God Bless VIAS yet!?"
I have tried most all contraptions and options. VIAS all the way

Exactly. I lived in Italy for three years where espresso is of paramount importance to them. There's a reason that Italian Roast coffees are pretty awesome. And Italian Roast Via's are right at the top of convenience and taste. Normal instant coffee pretty much sucks.......same for coffee in a bag. And no matter how much I've tried with regular grounds in camp......I can't seem to get it strong enough for my tastes, but Italian Roast Via's always hit the spot......even at home. That's what I'm drinking right now.

But......the source I had on these "salvaged" Via's has dried up, and there is no way I'm paying more than 40 cents a packet for them, and giving Starbucks any of my money.

b_young

FNG
The Primula Single Serve Coffee Brew Buddy is pretty sweet. It's only like 6 bucks on amazon and super light weight (.64 oz). Bring your own grounds of your favorite coffee. Just boil water, fill up you mug about 3/4 of the way (I use the gsi infinity mug, 17 oz), fill the primula with grounds, set it over the mug and wait about 2 or 3 minutes. It makes a surprisingly good cup of coffee, better than any instant coffee IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087SPTLC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Doj4Whlr

Lil-Rokslider
So if I dont drink coffee I will literally die, ok maybe not but Im not going to test it to find out. Anyhow, what does everyone do for coffe both around camp and out hunting during the day or backpacking?
Im trying to weigh my options between percolator or coffee press at camp. Then take a heavy thermos with me during the day or to take a jetboil and instant coffee while out. What works for everybody else?

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk
Camping near the vehicle in a base camp - percolator and small thermos. Backcountry trips - instant packets, no thermos.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

BCSteel

FNG
When I liked my coffee with cream and sugar the Nescafe 3 in 1 were my go to for bush coffee. But now that I'm mostly a tea guy, I use a small thermos for on the go or brew up a cup of herbal from local plants on the pocket rocket 2.

rebelblue

FNG
I very often dump a Via onto my tongue and wash it down with water. Extremely quick, uber easy, totally tolerable (I think I actually like it), and keeps fluid intake down in the early morning, when I don't want a full bladder at first light.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
Coffee or bail money....your choice. I have a JetBoil and coffee press. I use the same Folgers Classic Roast we use at home. Takes about 3-4 minutes to make a big cup of java in the morning. I just recently loaned it to a buddy that went on a horse ride pack in elk hunt with 3 other guys in Colorado. After the first morning, my JetBoil made coffee for all 4 hunters every morning.

MNBill

mrgreen

WKR
I use instant for convenience, but Starbucks Via is not for me. I'll use this and ground coffee- it's light, simple & easy.

I thought I had a pic, but I had to pull this from the Montbell website.

z_1124510-M.jpg cz_1124510_01-M.jpg

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
Peets Kenya Auction Lot. Peets Sulawasi or their aged Sumatra. The Peets Tanzania peaberry is great if you can get it.

cram369

FNG
Just put scoop of coffe in drip coffee maker filter and tied with small zip tie for my trip. Worked good. Stored in Ziploc bag.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'll use this and ground coffee- it's light, simple & easy.

I thought I had a pic, but I had to pull this from the Montbell website.

I used to try that, and never have had a decent cup of coffee from it, even using espresso grind. Can't get it strong enough, and it always tastes like someone added something like a used sock to it as well. I've also tried the cowboy coffee and then filtered the grounds out. Still not very good. And you have to bring all those grounds with you. The right Via's are easily 10 times better.