Coffee Experts--Input Needed

Bluefish

WKR
as an engineer and someone who doesn’t drink coffee, I got my wife a chemex and a kettle, then make coffee for her every morning. Time is the same for one cup or 6 cups using pour Over. Process is pretty exact, x grams of beans per X grams of water, temperature set to around 200f. Use 205 now, but used 199 in Colorado as water won’t reach 205. My brother roasts coffee or I use loyal (cos) or black powder coffee. Fresh grind with a burr grinder.

Wrench

WKR
I did have some good (to my standards) coffee down in Central Oregon at my Dad's place. It came from this place in this airscape coffee can.

Once you open that door… are you sure you want to do that? 👀
Your mornings are simple. Her mornings are simple.

But since you asked… French press all the way. She’s already heating water.
Get a nice double-walled French press, a fresh coarse-ground bag of coffee, and life will still be simple. And the coffee extraction will be excellent!
Coffee snobs will tell you the coffee from a French press is the best tasting coffee you can brew.

Historybuff

Lil-Rokslider
Moccamaster by technivorm is the best drip coffee maker hands down. They also make a decent grinder now too. And Rodaks coffee roasts your coffee beans fresh when you order them. I haven't found a better combo

prm

WKR
Burr grinder, and a Bonavita or other quality coffee maker. Endless possibilities with beans, roast levels, grind fineness, and amount of beans. And honestly, its very quick and easy to make a pot.

jimh406

WKR
As noted, some people like their instant and aren't interested in changing. Just providing a faster/easier way to heat her water would be a nice improvement depending on how she's doing it now. That is, if you have plenty of counter space and it's ok with her to put it on the counter. :D

go_deep

WKR
Buy her a regular coffee maker, then add about 5 different smaller bags into the pile so she can try a few out.
It's a thought full gift that she'll likely appreciate. Good on you for noticing!

On a slightly more helpful note, pour overs and French presses have their place for coffee elites. If you really get into coffee, you can navigate down that road. In the meantime, I still think a decent drip maker is worth having around. Bonvita makes some that are good and won’t break the bank.

The Kcup brewer I had around died and one of the review sites had good things to say about the combo unit from Cuisinart. Not top end but very functional. It will do single k cups and brews a decent pot with the option to do paper filter or wire basket (no filter). It won’t impress you friends but for value and simplicity, I give it high marks.

Fowl Play

WKR
@DAD to put it in “man speak” instant coffee is like a natty light. Somehow everyone graduates to IPA or something along those lines eventually, but if you give a natty light drinker the best IPA on the planet they will spit it out and say it tastes terrible. I would honestly get a Keurig machine or similar, anything more than that and she will think it is too much work to start out. And she will not like the stronger espresso taste of a Nespresso. Nothing wrong with that at all! All the fancy stuff will not be appreciated unless you truly value the taste over your time. I enjoy coffee but settled on a nice pre-ground coffee and a French press being about the most amount of work I want to do in the morning with no coffee in me.

I have many family members with this machine. Going on several years with no issues. Ticks the “fancy” box and allows you to brew pods and pots. https://www.ninjakitchen.com/produc...-K3JdLAsd2oW2LXAwF8Ters9Dp8j9EHRoCTNsQAvD_BwE

Last edited:

LostArra

WKR
At one time the Technivorm was the only brewer that could actually heat water to 195-205. That's not the case any more. I had a Technivorm moccamaster for 10 years and sold it. Too much counter space and the spray head is a joke. I had also replaced the funky 1/4 turn thermal carafe with a simple Thermos push button.
Good coffee can be simple but I'm with Yooper except for the Folgers
Pour overs and burr grinders......geesh, this woman is drinking Busch Light right now, no need to go right to the double hazy IPA from your obscure local micro brew hippster hangout. Just get her a drip machine and a can of god damn Folgers and call it good.

Be careful though buying "things" to make coffee can get just as expensive as going to Starbucks every day...
I take coffee VERY seriously.... Technivorm mochamaster and never buy another machine. They are the SWFA/Tikka of the coffee world.

Other coffee makers on this countertop have come and gone but that thing just flat out works. Coffee always tastes the same, always the same temp. Never had an issue after nearly ten years of use and at least two pots a day.
PXL_20231128_144007993.jpg

Pour overs and burr grinders......geesh, this woman is drinking Busch Light right now, no need to go right to the double hazy IPA from your obscure local micro brew hippster hangout. Just get her a drip machine and a can of god damn Folgers and call it good.
You just got demoted back to FNG