Coffee While Hunting

T_holli22

FNG
The Black Rifle instant is pretty good won't drink Starbucks anymore no matter what. I drink black rifle or invader coffee only and use the instant when deer hunting it is better then most of the instant coffe I've tried plus Veteran owned. Win! Win!

Mt Al

WKR
Via till their all gone, then a different brand that's not uber liberal.
I like simple and Via's good for that, thought definitely not the best tasting.

I use and el-cheapo BRS titanium burner on JetBoil fuel cans, amazon-bought TOAKS titanium small pot. Bring to boil, dump in Via, put on Snow Peaks hotlips and savor the moment!

Via till their all gone, then a different brand that's not uber liberal.

What are uber liberal coffee brands? The politics of coffee manufacturers have never crossed my mind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DPR64

Lil-Rokslider
I ran across swift instant coffee, have not tried it yet but looks like a full bodied, easy to use Java! Not sure how liberal they are though....

Ingo

Lil-Rokslider
Cafe Bustelo instant Espresso or... Cowboy coffee with any ol' grounds.

Tip: pour a bit of cold water on top of the cowboy coffee when it's done brewing to push the grounds to the bottom. My best-bud is a legit cow-puncher out with the cows weeks at a time and he only changes the grounds in his pot when it won't hold enough liquid anymore. He also uses his filthy-a$$ hands to put the coffee in. Great tasting coffee, though.

I carry my Primus micro-stove, a small fuel can, and a tiny pot with some foil for insulating. A ridge-line cup of coffee while glassing is one of life's great delights, imo.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

prm

WKR
Most coffee tastes burnt, because it is burned. They roast extremely dark to where any inherent flavor in the bean is gone and your left with coffee beans that are more like charcoal. Eventually the cheapest beans taste the same as the finest coffee beans if roasted very dark. Some like that flavor, which is fine, but if you want to have the actual flavor of the bean you need good light or mid level roasts. I try to roast as dark as possible while retaining unique flavors. Most prefer roasts darker than what is a current, typical specialty roasted coffee and I try to balance that darker roasted flavor with the unique flavors. It’s rough, but someone has to sample all that coffee!

Fresh ground dark roast made in a french press. Peet's is my favorite. Short of a french press, I go with Trader Joe's instant; the one packaged with creamer and sweetener.

Dstngc74

FNG
Do yourself a favor and look in to KUJU Coffee. It’s not instant but REAL coffee in the backcountry without having to carry extra equipment. All you need is a mug and hot water.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Being a coffee snob, I have to have good coffee in elk camp. I vacuum seal coarse-ground Kick Ass (dark roast) blend from the Kicking Horse Coffee Co. and use a French press. Takes about 10 minutes to make 50 oz. when we have two or more in camp.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ran across this company at the ATA show. It’s instant and doesn’t taste like it. I’m getting some to feed my morning craving.

d61b2475c86b201db9f296c8190b435f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ragz

FNG
Used to carry a grinder and fresh beans with a pour over. Going to switch to stone ground Matcha tea this fall for ease and no mess.

I ran across this company at the ATA show. It’s instant and doesn’t taste like it. I’m getting some to feed my morning craving.

d61b2475c86b201db9f296c8190b435f.jpg

These are great! Used them last season.
Dissolves with no residues, even in cold water!