Camping with contact lenses

I'm new to all this, just got my first prescription for glasses a few months ago and still can't wear them regularly without getting nauseous. They definitely make looking through a scope much more clear and bow sites don't have a big / pin anymore. Anyhow as for the contacts, someone was telling me there's a type that are designed to be worn for 30 days that you don't remove daily, is that what yall are referring to as disposables?

Best Method
If you can, wash with soap and water and dry.

Alternative Method #1
You can use butt wipes but do a quick rinse with saline on fingers used to take contact out and put it in; saline will get rid of any remaining fibers on your fingertips.

Alternative Method #2
Use hand sanitizer and air dry. Same saline bit from AM #1

rideold

WKR
Daily disposables, small bar of soap and a bandana to dry my hands off with. Just boil a bit extra water for your coffee and cool it down with cold water. I do carry drops. Glassing can dry out your contacts!

hikenhunt

WKR
I'll typically sleep in mine and use drops in the morning. If they get bad, I'll clean my hands at a creek crossing and swap them out. I always carry extra contacts, drops, and an old pair of glasses as backup. Can't hunt if you can't see!

Hand sanitizer and then let dry.

That said, I end up wearing glasses after a few days unless it’s super hot because then it’s hard to keep sweat off them.

I wear dailies and take disposable alcohol pads for cleaning my hands.

I used to sleep in mine but had a guy that worked for a contact company tell me the reason you aren’t supposed to sleep in them is because the eye is the only place without blood vessels, but if the eyes can’t “breathe” they will vascularize and grow vessels in the cornea which impair vision. That scared me enough to quit sleeping in them- no idea if it’s even true or not.
Your eyes get oxygen from the air for that matter so does your lungs.
A contact lens no matter how thin impedes this process to some extent. The eye vessels will enlarge, "migrate" towards the cornea in search of the oxygen and can definitely impair your vision in time over the years.

I use wipes to take off "crud" from my hands and use the camping soap that comes in small "sheets" to wash my hands. I use a system of a couple if containers, stackable so space saving to rinse off my hands then pit on contacts. It is a pain but I don't have burning eyes when I put them on and feel confident I am not giving myself an infection.

If you were to go the LASIK route to help your distant vision then be mindful that it will likely accelerate your need for "near vision" assistance.

Dailies and I wash the tips of my fingers with a tiny drop of soap or a wetones and rinse with filtered water. I do use my dirty fingers to take them out before bed.

Sam's dad

Lil-Rokslider
One thing NOT to do: don’t use Clear Care or any hydrogen peroxide solution. The colder temps slow the reaction time down and you run the risk of putting fire directly into your eyeballs. I use Clear Care at home, but in the woods I use regular solution.

Other than that, same as other posters: first I clean my hands off with a wipe, then I use sanitizer and finally dry them off.

Moserkr

WKR
Wear dailies and carry a spare pair plus glasses. Small bar of unscented soap and wash up twice a day. I don't sleep in mine. Been doing this for years in the backcountry now without issue. Only once have I had to wear my glasses on a pack out due to extreme winds and dust.

Sherman

WKR
I just put a small amount of tooth paste between my thumb and index finger and rub it in for a bit. That usually sterilizes my fingers enough to put my contacts in. If you haven’t tried it, super easy and seems to do the trick.

Last edited:
Just wait until you get into situations where a branch knocks it out of your eye and onto the ground, and you put it in your mouth to get the grit off and straight back into your eye. :LOL:

When hunting my hands get dirt, blood, etc ground into them. I generally rinse my fingers with saline and wipe them on my pants, then put the contacts in as normal. If it’s not coming off being scrubbed on fabric, it’s not going to stick to your smooth contact lens.

You also don’t need to bring a mirror, it’s much easier without one IMO. Don‘t use it at home either.

Button

WKR
Once I started working shift work
(du pont schedule) I gave up on contacts. After being awake for 16+ hours they would get painful. Since glasses, my eyeballs feel good. Im getting lasik soon.

Baddog

WKR
I had contacts for 20 years always a pain. I couldn’t sleep in them. Best money I ever spent was on lasik.

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
I bring a fresh pair of 2 week and take them out every night. When I put them in, I put a few drops of saline in the cup of the contact that makes contact with my eye. It looks like I'm crying when I put them in but I feel as if it "rinses" and additional sediment that might have been stuck on the contact. Never had an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
This is exactly what I do. I also always have my glasses as well for back up. Have had a couple times I’ve dropped a contact on the ground and lost it forever. Glasses will save your hunt if you have bad vision and lose a contact.

Slugz

WKR
I just seem to not be able to keep them in at night. I wake up and one is usually out.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who will sleep in them when its not convenient to take them out. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for that and swimming under water with my eyes open. I loose one or two a summer but at least I can see. I stow extra contacts everywhere truck, pack, boat.

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
I just seem to not be able to keep them in at night. I wake up and one is usually out.
Agreed. I’ve never been able to sleep in them for a number of reasons. Tried at least a dozen times but it just never works out.

Maki35

WKR
Clean my hands with a wet wipe and a little water.
I wear daily (toss them out before bed. pop in new ones in the morning.) I bring glasses as backup.
I won't sleep with them in (been there, done that.)

Maki35

WKR
I'm new to all this, just got my first prescription for glasses a few months ago and still can't wear them regularly without getting nauseous. They definitely make looking through a scope much more clear and bow sites don't have a big / pin anymore. Anyhow as for the contacts, someone was telling me there's a type that are designed to be worn for 30 days that you don't remove daily, is that what yall are referring to as disposables?
Most either get daily or weekly disposables contact lens. Daily- you wear for the day. Toss them out and pop in a new pair the next day.
Weekly are worn for a week before putting on a new pair (lens should be cleaned daily.)
I don't recommend wearing contacts for 30 days straight without removing them for cleaning. imo, junk can build up and cause irritation to your eyes or infection.