BARTLEIN BARRELS CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Taking a few minutes to share my experience with Bartlein barrels and unfortunately, the need for work with their customer service. I am going to keep this straightforward and factual. You can draw your own conclusions in the end.

In June of 2020 I placed a first time order with Bartlein Barrels. The barrel is a .308” Heavy Palma 5r Stainless 400MOD with a 1:9 to 1:8 transitional twist and a finish length of 34”. I was particularly attracted to the new 400MOD barrel material they were using. Having done plenty of research, I was confident that this new barrel material could improve barrel life in this 300 RUM from an average 800 rounds to potentially 1000-1200. Bartlein has suggested based on their feedback from ammunition manufacturers, that the 400MOD material was lasting longer in their test barrels than previous, traditional metals. Extrapolated data was indicating 25% or better. I felt that a good chance at 25% longer barrel life was worth the extra $200 for me to spend on the 400MOD. This was a $600 plus dollar barrel.

I received the barrel and shipped everything to Defensive Edge in Rathdrum, ID to let Bob Carlock do his magic on it. I did choose to have them “+P” the throat for the extra velocity potential. Again, having done a lot of research beforehand, I did not feel that I would be giving up much, if any barrel life doing the +P. I’ve always been one to take care of my barrels, cleaning them when appropriate and NEVER overheating them.

Bob did fantastic work and the finished product looked great. I do believe in barrel break in, so that’s where I started. It was apparent right from the start that this thing was a copper hog. I mean I could not get it to stop producing copper even into about 20-30 rounds of break in with more cleaning than I care to admit. I started with a phone call to Bartlein describing my situation. The tech that I spoke with told me this was normal in long barrels and that I should “give it some help” with JB. Not feeling comfortable with this, I called and spoke with Shawn Carlock about the situation. He mentioned that some barrels just copper up and if it shoots well, to just go with it. So, I went and shot some groups of which it shot multiple dime size, 3 shot groups at 250 yards with a low charge across multiple seating depths. I decided to ignore the copper issue and just shoot it.

I keep a hand written shot log of every single round fired through the rifle. I also note cleanings. My cleaning regime became a carbon cleaning every 50 rounds or so followed by a bore cam to verify carbon was removed. Copper did not cause any issues after this point and this rifle never experienced a “pressure up” other than the one time speed up at 185 rounds.

I developed an initial load with 245 Bergers and RL33 at 3150fps. This load NEVER produced sticky bolt lift and I have NEVER shot more than 3 rounds back to back without a barrel cooler going in the chamber for 2-3 minutes. It shot phenomenal and was actually holding around .5 MOA of vertical at just past 2000 yards with this load. I continued to shoot this load until 185 rounds or so when it FINALLY sped up. I needed to back the charge down about 1.5 grains to get back to the original speed. Off and running again.

At about the 250 round count, I decided to pick up some 250 Atips as the 245 Bergers were unobtanium and I was running low. I began load development with the 250s and during seating tests, putting them nearly in the same hole across multiple depths...still shooting excellent. I transitioned to RL50 at this point because it produced a little better speed at the same pressure along with better load density. This is where I began to see issues of which I attributed to the RL50 powder I had never worked with before. ES of 60-80 fps. Primer changes, neck tension changes along with a couple of other tests would not fix the ES issue. I wrote off the 250/RL50 load.

I took a look at the throat with my bore cam and a few inches beyond, to my surprise, the +P section was all but gone. There may have been .0005” or less of visible lands. Taking a measurement to the lands with my dummy round confirmed I had a big problem. For further confirmation, I grabbed up my old load of RL33 and 245 bergers. The Labradar came in 70fps slow of the last time I shot that load. It was obvious what was going on. My hope now was that I could finished “blowing out” the +P section of throat and maybe get some stability back in the velocity. By this time I’m probably at the 375 round count.

Now, it was just getting more rounds through this thing in hopes of some stability returning. From here out, I set up the Labradar for every time I shot to track this. What I found was a rapid decrease of pressure and a needed powder charge increase to maintain velocity. We’re talking close to 2 full grains of increase in 30 rounds fired. I gave another bore inspection and this time, I marked the shaft of the camera so I could measure the erosion in the throat. 1.75” of freebore past the neck in the chamber before there was any resemblance of a land. This was WELL BEYOND the +P section of throat.

It was obvious at this point that the barrel was completely gone. 460 documented rounds. This is where the phone calls and emails started with Bartlein.

Call number one…I explained the situation in great detail with the tech, he agreed to take a look at it and asked me not to clean it (this is an important detail for later). I was told that an invoice would be created and I would be set up to return the barrel, hang tight. At this point, the conversation switched to email. Generally sounded positive.

June 28th. First email from me with a bore cam video, pics and additional details on the round count, cleaning history, hand notes documenting round count etc. and asked about authorization of return.

July 5th, hadn’t heard a response yet so I emailed again.

July 10th, Got a response back. The tech had been sick, would talk with the owner about the return of my barrel.

July 24th. Gave it some time. I followed up again and asked about confirmation of the barrel return. No response.

August 2nd, switched back to phone call mode. Left a voicemail for the tech. Later that day I finally got a response back to the original email thread. They were sorry, I “fell through the cracks” and they would be sending me a prepaid return label for the barrel.

Received the label and shipped the barrel out within 2 days of receipt.

Roughly 2 weeks go by and I hear nothing. I played some more phone tag with the tech and finally made contact. Initially, he said he had not seen my barrel. After some “digging around” he found it. Tech said they would look at it by the middle of the following week.

August 30th. I finally get an email response back of reasons why Bartlein could not and would not provide me with customer service on this barrel and that my “old barrel would be shipped out today”:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
1. Company will not warranty +P chambers or similar throats

2. So and so at Sierra Bullets says that a RUM is only good for 600 rounds at peak accuracy (whatever peak accuracy is defined as and by whom?)

3. Blame towards “poor cleaning”, carbon ring, fouling etc.

4. Tech states...”you run into problems with the RUM being a ‘finicky’ cartridge at best”

5. Tech states...”you cooked it to death even at your claimed rate of fire

I responded via email to dispute these claims as follows:

It is my belief that the +P throat had nothing to do with this as the erosion rapidly continued well past the +P section of throat. If the +P was to blame, one could expect the erosion to slow down as the +P section went away. I believed the issue to be poor metallurgy.

I stated my previous experience with 300 RUMs and many personal friends who own them, a good average, accurate barrel life is 800+ with traditional barrel materials.

I debated the claim that I had not cleaned. I had literally carbon cleaned within 50 rounds of sending the barrel in and verified carbon removal with a bore cam. Immediately before sending the barrel in, I took a bore cam video showing only very light carbon in the throat and certainly no carbon ring that would make contact with a bullet.

I disagreed with the statement that the RUM is “finicky at best”...probably all I need to say there…

“Claimed rate of fire”... I reiterated that my handwritten notes on round count and statement that I have never fired more than 3 rounds at a time were exactly accurate and that I didn’t appreciate the assumption that I was being dishonest. I place a high value on my word and integrity.

I then began conversing with the owner of Bartlein barrels. It was more of the same, the owner backing up what the Tech said and placing heavy blame on the +P throat, which is an easy target. The theme continued of an attitude that I had not been honest with them and it left me feeling insulted as a customer. I was finally offered a consolation prize of 50% off on another barrel, but at this point I had made the decision to part ways with this company after my experience and communicated that with the owner.

September 10th, still had not received my old barrel back. Emailed the tech asking for confirmation of this. Never received a response.

September 20th, called and left a voicemail with the tech asking for update on my old barrel and the return process. As of this writing (9/23) I have not received any response from the company on my old barrel which was to be shipped out back on Aug 30th as per the tech. They still have a piece of my property that at this point, I have to assume is gone.

Final thoughts:

I remained calm, patient and reasonable in this process as I realize sugar gets us a lot farther than vinegar. I have done my best, but this whole process from start to end has led me to publish this as a “proceed with caution” to other shooters. As someone who works in an industry and a small community where customer service is everything, I understand the value in that and also the impact to a customer of not being treated right. Future barrels for me will be with other companies. I hope that someone finds some value in this writing.

OP
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Hmm…no. A 300RUM you chose to start its life with half the lands removed from the throat and you want the barrel manufacturer to give you a new one because you shot it out? Nope, I’m with Bartlein. I’d ask Carlock to cut it back and re-chamber without the +P.
For reference, my last 300 RUM had a 32" regular stainless barrel with a very long throat of my design that was similar in performance to the +P. It went 800+ rounds before it took a hard left and there was no pressure dump up until that point either. I am not buying that the +P caused this. I think it can be an easy cop out for some barrel manufacturers.

TaperPin

WKR
That’s a bummer it shot out so quick. Sounds like it was really a nice shooter while it lasted. Hopefully you have enough straight taper to cut off a bunch and rechamber - that kind of accuracy is better than average.

I‘ve been there - the first time a custom barrel goes to crap sooner than you think it should it feels like a lot of money down the toilet. Unfortunately, that’s just the way it is - no barrel maker is going to give you a new barrel. Honestly I’m shocked they even offered one for half price. The barrel maker I used didn’t even offer to pay postage for me to send it back so they could look at it.

It’s not a secret that Bartlein doesn’t like +p throats. I don’t know enough about them, other than a number of barrels must burn out early with them for a barrel maker to take a stand on that issue. I doubt they are picking on you or trying to pull a fast one on you - barrels are consumables and some burn out faster than others.

Barrel makers have been swamped so the slow responses don’t surprise me - same thing happens in any type of business that is short handed and has more work than they can pump out. I’m sure you’ll eventually get your barrel back.

Eventually you’ll go through the stages of grieving and get through it. Don’t be surprised if the next barrel maker treats you the same way or worse, and their barrel doesn’t shoot as good. 🙂

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Maybe the 400MOD is too hard/brittle for the +P treatment.

My 300 RUM +P with a Hart barrel has over 700 rounds, and it's still hunting. Jim Carr has a 300 RUM +P Proof barrel with over 600, shooting fantastic. I burned up a 300 Terminator(Hart) at 700 rounds. My 338 Terminator(Hart) gave up around 950 rounds, but it was pushed hard!

At a minimum, they should send the barrel back.

OP
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a bummer it shot out so quick. Sounds like it was really a nice shooter while it lasted. Hopefully you have enough straight taper to cut off a bunch and rechamber - that kind of accuracy is better than average.

I‘ve been there - the first time a custom barrel goes to crap sooner than you think it should it feels like a lot of money down the toilet. Unfortunately, that’s just the way it is - no barrel maker is going to give you a new barrel. Honestly I’m shocked they even offered one for half price. The barrel maker I used didn’t even offer to pay postage for me to send it back so they could look at it.

It’s not a secret that Bartlein doesn’t like +p throats. I don’t know enough about them, other than a number of barrels must burn out early with them for a barrel maker to take a stand on that issue. I doubt they are picking on you or trying to pull a fast one on you - barrels are consumables and some burn out faster than others.

Barrel makers have been swamped so the slow responses don’t surprise me - same thing happens in any type of business that is short handed and has more work than they can pump out. I’m sure you’ll eventually get your barrel back.

Eventually you’ll go through the stages of grieving and get through it. Don’t be surprised if the next barrel maker treats you the same way or worse, and their barrel doesn’t shoot as good. 🙂
I'm not grieving. I've replaced lots of barrels over the years and they ALL up until this one, have provided good/normal life. My biggest issue in this whole thing has been the customer service. You mentioned other barrel manufacturers...I have a local buddy who was just sharing his experience with another barrel manufacturer. He had a RUM as well that he admittedly did not keep a round count on and suspected that "it died too soon". At the same time telling me that it probably had 800-900 rounds through it. That manufacturer received the barrel for inspection, commented that it looked to have a lot of mileage but went ahead and cranked out a replacement for my buddy anyway. That's to the opposite extreme, obviously. But guess what, he's a customer for life and tells the rest of the guys in the shooting group how good his experience was and that's most likely the company I'll use on this next go around. I guess when a company gets to a certain size with massive backlog, the CS can go away.

bradb

WKR
They have always been good to talk with and to fix 1 minor issue i had. No surprise they won't warranty +p

Maybe the 400MOD is too hard/brittle for the +P treatment.

My 300 RUM +P with a Hart barrel has over 700 rounds, and it's still hunting. Jim Carr has a 300 RUM +P Proof barrel with over 600, shooting fantastic. I burned up a 300 Terminator(Hart) at 700 rounds. My 338 Terminator(Hart) gave up around 950 rounds, but it was pushed hard!

At a minimum, they should send the barrel back.
A Hart button barrel with twice the life of a 400 mod yikes

I guess my Bart that’s never gotten clean better not need a warranty check lmao

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
I’d take that 50% off run. Lucky you got that considering, imo. Bartlein has openly stated for a while that they will not warranty +p.

It’s a barrel. If you haven’t been through this it was bound to happen, I wish I was treated the way you were on my last barrel that was junk. 1200$ piece of crap that never shot and sits in the corner.

Good news is it’s not hard to screw on a new one

Maybe Ryan is on to something with the 400 mod, I can understand why they won’t stand behind the barrel because of the +p…do I agree with it no but that’s where they’ll get you. All their other disputes though don’t make sense, the +p is their only crutch to stand on.

OP
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe Ryan is on to something with the 400 mod, I can understand why they won’t stand behind the barrel because of the +p…do I agree with it no but that’s where they’ll get you. All their other disputes though don’t make sense, the +p is their only crutch to stand on.
I completely agree. I could have respected it if they just took a hard stance and said policy on +P is no warranty, sorry. But they added bogus reasons to this and ended up insulting and suggesting I was being untruthful.

OP
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
So you got about 50% of the barrel life you were expecting but 50% off a new barrel is unacceptable? Seems like it pencils to me. Am I missing something?

They should send your barrel back though.
Because it was about the whole poor communication experience, feeling insulted and the insinuation that I was being untruthful in spite of providing documentation. I won't do further business with a company like that. It's a shake the dust off of your feet as you leave type of deal. I wasn't going to even post anything on this...but the complete communication shut down and lack of the barrel return pushed me over a bit.

gabenzeke

WKR
Is this listed as a warranty violation anywhere? Seems like +p is popular enough that if they aren't going to warranty it they should say that upfront.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
Is this listed as a warranty violation anywhere? Seems like +p is popular enough that if they aren't going to warranty it they should say that upfront.
I can't say if it's posted on their website or not and if not maybe they should but Frank Green has publicly stated there will be no warranty on any barrel with a +P throat.

gabenzeke

WKR
Popular enough? I'd bet less than 1% of custom barrels in use today from all manufacturers combined have a +P chamber.
I didn't mean a huge number are done, but that word is out. I think a lot of long range shooters are least know about it, right? Maybe I'm wrong.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

The word is out for sure and most people aren't doing it due to reports of poor long term performance. Some people are having success and continue to choose a +P chamber but they're a tiny minority compared to those that choose a conventional chamber.