Camping with contact lenses

jarrettd

FNG
Do you guys do anything special to keep your hands clean when taking out and putting in your contact lenses while caped on the mountian? Hand sanitizer.... ouch? Baby wipes?? Touching my eyes without washing my hands for days is going to be an issue with eye comfort....

Slugz

WKR
Its tough. Good washing when crossing a creek. Clean water tub or spring in main camp. Regardless of what I tried the only thing that worked was a heaping of eye drops. I kinda wash things around after putting them in. My hunting pants have chapstick and eye drops in my pocket all the time.

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
Man that's tough, I have a hard lense I need for one eye and a regular for the other. Just actually got them last year, went to Montana last year and even camped at the truck and it was a bastard, lol. In the tent trying to use a mirror and stay clean, I rinsed my hands with just water, we are going on a backpack trip this year and taking my glasses. Can't see as good in the one eye but will manage. Don't think I could handle it in the back county, lol.

The Frank

FNG
I use baby wipes then rinse off with water. Disposable lenses are nice. If you ask your optometrist, they’ll probably give you a few pairs.

kda082

WKR
Disposables. Maybe wear your glasses for the first few hours until your eyes wake up. Not the king of hand washing and haven’t had an issue the past 30+ years with contacts.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
Daily disposables are the easiest way for sure. Most brands come in packs of 30 or 90, so you can get enough just for the season if you wanted. Sanitizer works too but your hands need to be completely dry before you touch anything. I usually just use water unless my hands are really dirty

Dunndm

WKR
I use dailies for work/life. When hunting I use the 2 week ones and sleep with them in. Eye drops first thing the AM and your good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badgerboy

FNG
I bring a fresh pair of 2 week and take them out every night. When I put them in, I put a few drops of saline in the cup of the contact that makes contact with my eye. It looks like I'm crying when I put them in but I feel as if it "rinses" and additional sediment that might have been stuck on the contact. Never had an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

WKR
I force myself to use a shower wipe or two to get some of the stink off me before jumping in the sleeping bag each night. My hands end up being clean enough to take my contacts out while I'm in my bag before I nod off. I don't usually get too dirty while sleeping, so I typically feel OK to pop them back in before I get out of my bag in the morning.

I wear dailies and take disposable alcohol pads for cleaning my hands.

I used to sleep in mine but had a guy that worked for a contact company tell me the reason you aren’t supposed to sleep in them is because the eye is the only place without blood vessels, but if the eyes can’t “breathe” they will vascularize and grow vessels in the cornea which impair vision. That scared me enough to quit sleeping in them- no idea if it’s even true or not.

Turkeyfreak12

Lil-Rokslider
Disposables are the easy way to go. Keep some alcohol wipes with ya to clean your finger tips. Make sure you let it dry completely before taking out your contacts. Then put new ones in and go.

Disposable contacts, hand sanitizer and splash of water on the hand I use for the contacts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
I do exactly what Elkfitness does. Hand sanitizer then rinse with filtered water.
I tend to go every other day. Sleep in them one night, take them out the next.

chaser_2332

Lil-Rokslider
im lucky and dumb at the same time i guess, i can leave my disposable ones in for weeks at a time without issue. That being said I'll pack an extra set with me for emergencies