Breakfast for non oatmeal eaters

gpkhill2

FNG
Hey,
Does anyone have any breakfast ideas for a non oatmeal eater on a backpack hunt?

Ruskin

WKR
I was using a protein shake mix from wilderness athlete. Nothing special, but did the trick.

BTH

FNG
Powdered eggs with Bacon bits works in a pinch.
Agreed!! but I always add some extra seasoning as well because the powdered eggs are too plain for me, even with the bits in there. How I prepare them is have each mornings meal portioned out in a Ziploc bag with the bits and seasoning. In the field just add water to the bag (a thick mixture seems to work best) mix and cook.

I really like the backpackers pantry breakfast granola w/ powdered milk. with cold or hot water. The cinnamon and mueslix is awesome.

Benny M

FNG
There's powdered mashed potato here called Deb, I imagine you'd have something similar if not the same product over there.

Renoit24

FNG
I make instant rice with a scoop of vanilla protein, powdered milk, a pinch of brown sugar, cinnamon, and raisins.

Powdered eggs, some powdered milk, bacon bits, shredded cheese if you like it...mix it with the appropriate amount of water and put it in a freezer baggie...put the baggie into a pot of water you are heating up for coffee/cocoa/tea. Leave it in long enough to cook through and you have scrambled eggs/omelete ready to eat out of the bag along with your hot beverage.

I am also toying with the idea of homemade oatmeal cookies with raisins and/or craisins in them as a solid form of my normal morning oatmeal with raisins. Add some powdered milk and you have milk and cookies for breakfast. :D

OP
gpkhill2

gpkhill2

FNG
Thanks guys, I like the idea of oatmeal cookies. I'll eat them. Weird I know. And I've thought about poptarts.

loner

FNG
Loner what is Teff? I mix up different types of oatmeal and a few cheese grits in between but have no idea what Teff is is. Bob. " Like your Quote"

My son turned me onto it awhile back he found out about it from a guide up in Seeley Lake Montana.
I make it like oatmeal mix it with nuts and honey.
When I eat it I don't get hungry for lunch until late in the day and still have energy to spare.
Try it I'm sure you will like it.
Coped from a web site-
Ancient North African cereal grass, is a nutritional powerhouse. It is the smallest grain in the world (about 100 grains are the size of a kernel of wheat!). The germ and bran, where the nutrients are concentrated, account for a larger volume of the seed compared to more familiar grains.

With a mild, nutty flavor and lots of calcium, protein and fiber, whole grain teff is a great addition to porridge, stews, pilaf or baked goods. Cooked whole grain teff makes a unique hot breakfast cereal similar in consistency and texture to wheat farina. Teff can be made into polenta, added to veggie burgers, cakes, cookies and breads. Naturally gluten free, teff is a wonderful way to mix up your menu with something a bit exotic.

Lukem

WKR
Pop tarts are good ! Especially the pb and chocolate ones !!!
+1 but give me the cherry ones. Tasty and well over the 100 cal/oz "rule". No morning prep, crawl out, dress and eat on the trail. Extra sleep!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I package up portions of granola with powdered milk, way less trash and cheaper than the MH granola and just as tasty. 1 cup of granola and 1/3 cup powdered milk is 500 calories. Luke calls it "glorious cereal" and has refused any other kind of breakfast this season :)

When weight allows bagels with a packet of peanut butter are good.

If going for a hot meal, I like instant grits with some bacon bits stirred in too.