Nightforce ATACR 4-20 Usable Reticle Magnification

KSPony

FNG
Looking for some feedback from anyone using a Nightforce ATACR 4-20. I have a F1 NX8 4-32 now and maybe it's my old eyes but find the reticle useless below 12 power. Would like to have a greater FOV and still take advantage of the holdover subtensions. Seams like I can find videos and pics of the magnification range of every other scope but this one. In theory the lesser magnification range would make the lower end reticle larger on the 4-20. Just not willing to drop $3k to find out and there are no local dealers to take a first had look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Looking for some feedback from anyone using a Nightforce ATACR 4-20. I have a F1 NX8 4-32 now and maybe it's my old eyes but find the reticle useless below 12 power. Would like to have a greater FOV and still take advantage of the holdover subtensions. Seams like I can find videos and pics of the magnification range of every other scope but this one. In theory the lesser magnification range would make the lower end reticle larger on the 4-20. Just not willing to drop $3k to find out and there are no local dealers to take a first had look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It’s close to the same for the same reticle. These are not hunting reticles.

It’s close to the same for the same reticle. These are not hunting reticles.
I don’t mean to steal this guys post, but what nightforce reticle would you recommend for hunting if you were going ATACR 4-16x42 specifically? Or would you rather go elsewhere?

I don’t mean to steal this guys post, but what nightforce reticle would you recommend for hunting if you were going ATACR 4-16x42 specifically? Or would you rather go elsewhere?
I'm guessing he's referring to a classic duplex reticle for hunting, or maybe a second focal plane. I think as long as you hit where the crosshair is regardless of reticle or plane you're good to go. I'd like to have a scope I can make quick holdover adjustments if need be, Would also like to give NRL matches a go at some point. That's why I like the F1 scopes.

Last edited:

MIL-R is Nightforce’s best option for general and long range hunting.

As for other options, the Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44mm with Mil-SHR is a much better hunting scope and reticle than anything NF currently makes.

I'm guessing he's referring to a classic duplex reticle for hunting, or maybe a second focal plane.

No.

I run several 4-20 and 4-16 ATACR with the moar reticles. I am almost 50 and have no problem with that reticle in anything above 5x. I generally shoot it out to 1000yds on 8x if that gives you any reference. They are a really nice scope. I also have the NX8 4-32 with the same reticle. That scope I feel is more of a 6-20x power. If money isn’t an issue the ATACR is that much better.

I had the Mil C in the ATACR 4-20 for the past year and just traded it. It was fine, but like your concern, it was very thin at low power. Harder to pick up at low power than my Mark 5s even though the subtensions are very close. I like a center dot, so went with mil C, maybe mil R is better. I seem to do well with the Mil R in an NXS 2.5-10 (SFP) and an SHV 4-14 FFP. I don't have an NX8.

I had the Mil C in the ATACR 4-20 for the past year and just traded it. It was fine, but like your concern, it was very thin at low power. Harder to pick up at low power than my Mark 5s even though the subtensions are very close. I like a center dot, so went with mil C, maybe mil R is better. I seem to do well with the Mil R in an NXS 2.5-10 (SFP) and an SHV 4-14 FFP. I don't have an NX8.
Thanks tak, I had a Mark 4 before switching over to the NX8 and wanted to go with a Mark 5. Leupold just doesn't offer the FFP illuminated reticles I wanted. I know a lot of people out there will debate illuminated or not. But it has saved me on several early morning low light shots that I couldn't have taken otherwise.

This is my first go around with a FFP scope and aside from struggling with the low power reticle the NX8 is a great scope. Weight and features fit what I'm looking for and glass is better than my Mark 4. But if I can find a better fit for me I'll grab it. The lack of hands on opportunities before you buy is what sucks about the whole process.

Thanks tak, I had a Mark 4 before switching over to the NX8 and wanted to go with a Mark 5. Leupold just doesn't offer the FFP illuminated reticles I wanted. I know a lot of people out there will debate illuminated or not. But it has saved me on several early morning low light shots that I couldn't have taken otherwise.

This is my first go around with a FFP scope and aside from struggling with the low power reticle the NX8 is a great scope. Weight and features fit what I'm looking for and glass is better than my Mark 4. But if I can find a better fit for me I'll grab it. The lack of hands on opportunities before you buy is what sucks about the whole process.

The NX8 is a great scope, my hunting buddy loves his, and it may just be the best "hunting/crossover" scope Nightforce makes. There is definitely room for improvement in FFP reticles for hunting as a whole across all companies.

Did you look at the Pr-1 reticles in the Mark 5? Very clean, and I've liked them. I have two non-illuminated and just got the illuminated in 5-25 to replace the ATACR. They are all Pr-1 reticles, and yes, they are still small at low power (all FFPs will be) but it's been quite usable for me. It may be a personal fit/preference thing, but I felt like I could never get the focus/clarity I wanted out of the ATACR. The new Mark 4HDs may also fit your bill, too. Assuming you have the older Mark 4, the mark 4HD glass should be an improvement, and they do have Pr-1 reticles in most of them.

Where in Texas are you? If you are near west DFW, you are welcome to look through any of mine.

Lastly, if money is no object, Tangent Theta has a long range hunter scope with heavy crosshairs that should be great at low power.

Appreciate the offer, I’m in the West Houston. I did have the old Mark 4 with a TMR reticle. May just need to go to the range more and be that annoying guy wanting to check out other guys equipment (that came out wrong) 😂

Back