Food Recommendations for staying full and losing weight

After letting myself go for too long, I am trying to refocus what I am eating on a daily basis to get into a calorie deficit. I run 4 miles 2-3X per week and do 100 pushups/dumb bell sets 2-3 days per week. My main issues are snacking too much, and portion control, which I realize are my impulse/self-control issues and not so much the food, but I have cut out sweets, granola, flavored yogurts to reduce sugars, and also have mostly cut out any crackers, rice, or pasta to reduce carbs.

I don't drink soft drinks. I'm either water, water w/ LMNT packets, unsweetened green tea, or alcohol. (Im cutting down on alcohol as well. Been going 4-5 nights per week, but cutting it down to 2 nights per week.)

These are the things I am currently focusing on, but I'd like to hear any other recommendations you all may have:

Typical breakfast:

Cottage cheese
OR
Hard-boiled eggs

Typical lunch:

Albacore Tuna in water & hard-boiled Eggs

Typical Snacks (2X/day):

Parm or cheddar Cheese single servings
OR
Cottage cheese
OR
Banana
OR
Apple

Typical dinner:

Lean red meats, chicken, pork, Fresh fish/Salmon & a fresh Vegetable

Last edited:

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Being consistent I find is more important than sticking to a hard calorie line. But that's not what you asked.

I eat more butter than most probably do. Helps me stay full longer and I find it keeps my metabolism running hot.

Snacks that keep me full and scratch the snack itch.
Pumpkin seeds, pistachios, full fat cottage cheese.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Fatty red meats, will stand by that I cannot over eat with just steak, now what gets you is the Mac’ cheese or the mashers, but with just steak I eat until satisfied

180ls1

WKR
The increase in exercise and decrease in booze will be plenty to make significant progress as long as your protein is high enough. I'm a little worried about you crashing.

OP
Doc Holliday
The increase in exercise and decrease in booze will be plenty to make significant progress as long as your protein is high enough. I'm a little worried about you crashing.
The exercise is not new, Ive been doing this for over a year now. My wife gets me roped into various 15Ks and half marathon's here and there, but it's been awhile

OP
Doc Holliday
Being consistent I find is more important than sticking to a hard calorie line. But that's not what you asked.

I eat more butter than most probably do. Helps me stay full longer and I find it keeps my metabolism running hot.

Snacks that keep me full and scratch the snack itch.
Pumpkin seeds, pistachios, full fat cottage cheese.
Just made a run to the store and got a couple packs of pepitas, thank you

My experience with dropping weight(I've dropped 30lbs 3-4 times over the years)...

First and foremost - ITS OKAY TO FEEL HUNGRY. Seriously. Running at a calorie deficit you're going to feel hunger, especially when you're used to stuffing your face full of whatever all day long. It takes a week or two of operating at a calorie deficit to get completely over it. Embrace it, it means your diet is working.

Alcohol is terrible for losing weight. In every instance that I've lost weight I noticed an obvious "hiccup" in losing weight for at least a day or two after drinking as little as 1-2 drinks. Maybe make it a cheat day thing where you can have one or two.

As far as calorie counting goes, I've got mixed feelings on it. On one hand, as long as your cutting your portions, snacking and drinks and working out you'll probably lose weight. On the other hand, actually counting every calorie you consume keeps you honest. That little piece of candy? Count it. Just one Debbie cake... count it. You'll be surprised at how fast all those little snacks add up. My suggestion would be to count calories for the first couple weeks. It'll give your appetite time to adjust, and you to learn just how fast those calories add up. After a couple weeks you can drop it(while remaining vigilant on portion control, snacks, etc).

You should establish a cheat day once a week. Doesn't mean you need to consume 5k calories that day... if you set your daily intake at 2000, maybe on your cheat day give yourself an additional 500. Its enough room for a drink or two, a bowl of ice cream, an extra helping of your favorite dish. A nice way to reward another week of being healthier.

Thats my experience and how I've lost weight in the past.

180ls1

WKR
The exercise is not new, Ive been doing this for over a year now. My wife gets me roped into various 15Ks and half marathon's here and there, but it's been awhile

That's good news. Just remember it took you years to get out of shape, don't expect to lose it all in weeks or even months.

A calorie deficit of 200/day is PLENTY to lose weight and maintain energy.

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Just stick with it man! And I know snacking is tough. A good thing i like to ask myself is if I am starting to crave sometihing .. I ask myself "ok well could i eat 6 oz of grilled chicken breast right now? OR 5 eggs right now?" Typically if the answer is no , then I am not actually hungry. Just craving a snack which I try n limit too so this frame helps me. And if the answer is yes , then I am actually hungry lol

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
start by eating 1 gram of protein/pound of your goal body weight from Whole Foods. Always eat the protein before you eat anything else. I would still eat when you’re hungry but make sure you eat protein first. I personally feel like garbage if I don’t get carbs, so I wouldn’t shy away from them. Just eat protein first.

Unfortunately health is simple but not easy.

This is just my professional opinion as someone who has worked in the fitness industry for over 30yrs.
Don't guess on your calories
Get a macro tracker app so you know for sure that you're getting enough protein for tissue repair and enough fat to support basic bodily functions
Then get the rest of your calories from carbs. You need carbs to support training efforts

Strength training is vital!
You have to give your body a reason to maintain lean mass. Otherwise you just end up skinny fat.

I have never seen anyone who consumes alcohol and/or dairy achieve long term success at body recomposition. They eventually gain the weight back and more.
Alcohol is obvious because it's literally poison.
I'm not sure why dairy stifles peoples best efforts?

Good Journey!

I smoke 10lbs of chicken at the beginning and portion it into 4 or 6 ounce tupperware. I can't possibly each enough chicken and gain weight. Egg Whites, Cottage cheese and tuna (with soy sause/wasabi) are my other go-to snacks.

Baller

FNG
In addition to what others have said, make protein your priority. Also, I find that if I eat every 2 hours or so, you are not really "Hungry". Eat smaller meals but more often has worked well for me. Like I eat at 7, 9, 11, 1, 3 and 5. Not everyone can do that but you get what I am saying..

180ls1

WKR
This is just my professional opinion as someone who has worked in the fitness industry for over 30yrs.
Don't guess on your calories
Get a macro tracker app so you know for sure that you're getting enough protein for tissue repair and enough fat to support basic bodily functions
Then get the rest of your calories from carbs. You need carbs to support training efforts

Strength training is vital!
You have to give your body a reason to maintain lean mass. Otherwise you just end up skinny fat.

I have never seen anyone who consumes alcohol and/or dairy achieve long term success at body recomposition. They eventually gain the weight back and more.
Alcohol is obvious because it's literally poison.
I'm not sure why dairy stifles peoples best efforts?

Good Journey!

Yup, booze is literally a neurotoxin.

I'll second the caution avoiding certain types of dairy. The slow-digesting casein with liquid is great at keeping you full. I'll also add that dodging carbs can be rough longer-term. A glass of skim milk and 5 rice crackers are roughly 140 calories in total. That's a great snack to fill you up, replenish some glycogen and keep you from bingeing.

MThuntr

WKR
fiber...add some chia to yogurt or cottage cheese or sub out for some oatmeal (I loathe oatmeal but a bowl of overnight oats will keep me stuffed all morning). With a higher protein intake and high fiber diet (including beans) you may have a few days of some stank but high fiber diet has proven to help with losing weight as well as help with cholesterol and heart health.

Potatoes are ranked as one of the highest satiating foods out there BUT it's how they're prepared that tends to make them unhealthy. I like them overcooked, baked in the oven so the skin gets a bit crispy

Alcohol chemically causes problems, but IMO the worst side affects are the reduced inhibitions that cause poor eating habits while drinking and the day after. If you can put together a string of 3-4 weeks (the weekends are the hardest) without any boozing, you'll see the results.

Booze also causes water retention and swelling. Going on a cleanse from it can really be helpful for reducing inflammation, etc...

I think that preparing your own meals based around any type of venison, fish, and vegetable combo is the best way to set yourself up for long term healthy eating. If you can continue to avoid sugar and poor snacking habits then you'll do great.