Best budget friendly range finder w/ angle comp

Bunger

FNG
So my current range finder is a turd and doesn’t have angle compensation . I mostly archery hunt but put in for a rifle tag this year as well. Looking for a decent range finder that has angle compensation. The area I hunt is pretty damn steep and most shots will most likely be downhill. What’s a decent setup that won’t break the bank?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The best budget one is the Athlon Optics Midas 1200Y Rangefinder for only $189.99

• Fully Multi-Coated Lenses: Fully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the product in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater
  • Diopter adjustment: Adjusts for precise focus on display
  • Rubber Armor: Protects and provides non-slip grip
  • Tripod Adaptable: Compatible with a regular camera tripod adapter
  • Angle Compensation Mode: Provides true horizontal distance to target
  • Line of Sight Mode: Provides actual line of sight range
  • Scan Mode: Allows you to get quick readings on different objects or tracking a moving target
  • Dual Units of Measurement of Distance (Y/M): Ranges in yards or meters
  • Effective Ranging Distance: 5-1200 yards

OP
B

Bunger

FNG
The best budget one is the Athlon Optics Midas 1200Y Rangefinder for only $189.99

• Fully Multi-Coated Lenses: Fully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the product in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater
  • Diopter adjustment: Adjusts for precise focus on display
  • Rubber Armor: Protects and provides non-slip grip
  • Tripod Adaptable: Compatible with a regular camera tripod adapter
  • Angle Compensation Mode: Provides true horizontal distance to target
  • Line of Sight Mode: Provides actual line of sight range
  • Scan Mode: Allows you to get quick readings on different objects or tracking a moving target
  • Dual Units of Measurement of Distance (Y/M): Ranges in yards or meters
  • Effective Ranging Distance: 5-1200 yards

Right on thanks I’ll take a look. Also should mention I’m not worried about max distance capabilities.

How do these cheaper options do in low light? What I have noticed with the cheaper vortex I have is that it is almost unusable at dusk.

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
Subscribed.

Curious what the major differences are between the Athlon Midas 1200 and Sig Kilo 1400BDX are, since they both can be had for the same price.

I had a sig 1400 bdx that was great the only downside for me was the black reticle. I ended up getting a 1800 bdx on sale for $200 with an illuminated reticle. Don't rifle hunt much but the bdx is pretty sweet if you do. It'll tell you the holdover for the yardage in the rangefinder for your setup.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
@gr8fuldoug is there a Leupold rangefinder you'd recommend over the Athlon 1200Y, or is the Athlon the way to go? Was growing your site and say a few of the Leupold options as well at the Athlon.

Apollo117

WKR
How’s the Athlon in low light? Doesn’t seem to have an illuminated reticle. I don’t think I would by another rangefinder without one.
No disrespect, but if you can't see the reticle, then you shouldn't take the shot.

I say this as someone who has taken more than one regrettable iffy shots in low light.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

No disrespect, but if you can't see the reticle, then you shouldn't take the shot.

I say this as someone who has taken more than one regrettable iffy shots in low light.

My current binoculars (which really aren’t that expensive) can see in low light well enough at the start of legal shooting time to count 4-points for antler point restrictions in my state.

In that same light, I can barely see anything out of my Vortex Rangers and definitely can’t see the reticle well enough to read the range. I need something that is a bit brighter in low light. An illuminated reticle helps make up for low light performance a bit.

Also, many times I’m trying to pre-range spots just before legal shooting light so I’m ready right off that bat.

caesAR15

Lil-Rokslider

Yes and no. When I get setup in the morning, in that pre-dawn but starting to see the very first light of the day situation, I like many others like to range several trees, stumps, rocks, etc. so I've got an idea of what surrounds me at what distance when my prey comes in.

That's near impossible in that lowlight with a non illuminated reticle.

Am I taking a shot at an animal? No. Do I still have a legit use for my rangefinder? Absolutely.

OP
B

Bunger

FNG
I’d definately prefer the illuminated reticle for the same reason someone said above. Ranging trees, rocks ect before shooting light. Anyone have a used sig they wanna part with before I look for a new one?