Best his & hers "do it all" calibers

CMF

WKR
I have both. The 6.5 with the right bullets will do everything the 270 will do and with less wind drift. No animal you hit well will know the difference between the two and there are way better bullets and factory loads available for the 6.5 There isn’t any need to have two different calibers unless you just want them.
I think I'm with you now, just stick with both 6.5.
The 145 eld-x is the only 270 I could find with more energy at 400yds than this 6.5 cm -6.5 mm Creedmoor 156 Grain Extreme Outer Limits and it isn't by much.

ElPollo

WKR
I think I'm with you now, just stick with both 6.5.
The 145 eld-x is the only 270 I could find with more energy at 400yds than this 6.5 cm -6.5 mm Creedmoor 156 Grain Extreme Outer Limits and it isn't by much.
I don’t think energy is necessarily what you should be looking at. I would focus on bullet bc, recoil energy, muzzle velocity, and minimum velocity to upset for a given bullet to define a maximum range for a given round. Muzzle energy is the potential to do damage to the animal, but the amount of damage transferred to the animal is really dependent on bullet construction and speed (minimum velocity to upset and muzzle velocity). The minimum upset velocity can be the hardest information to find and can be interpreted in different ways. BC and recoil together give you a very basic indicator of your relative hit probability. Minimum velocity to upset gives you an indicator of how that bullet is likely to transfer energy to the target. The latter numbers often require a bit of background research and often some field experimentation on ballistics gel or animals.

With the 6.5 cm you are pretty likely to get reliable upsets from the ELDM, ELDX, TMK, and other cup and core lead bullets down to around 1700-2000 fps impact velocity. Copper monos and controlled expansion or bonded bullets tend to have a minimum upset velocity of 2000-2200 fps. The minimum upset velocity determines your maximum effective distance for the round, but that distance is also dependent on your hit probabilities. (based on recoil, bullet drop, and bullet drift).

There is a lot of math and probability in what I just said, which is why people have erroneously focused on muzzle energy for decades. But simplification leads to misinterpretation, and misinterpretation potentially results in longer tracking distances on wounded game and the increased probability of that sickening feeling of hitting an animal and not recovering it. Like my grandfather told me once, if it was easy any durned fool could do it.

PNWGATOR

WKR
The same caliber for both of us certainly makes alot of sense, and would likely be adequate in most/all possible hunting scenarios. Things that come to mind that give me an itch for something that hits a little harder would be:

-oryx
-moose
-bull elk at longer ranges (approaching 500 yards) (More specifically looking at burning preference point hunts in CO in the next few years).

Again, I think the 6.5 CM could do all of these, but something bigger would give me more confidence in those scenarios/eliminate the variable of being under-gunned (maybe an irrational concern). Maybe I am putting too much weight on the suppressor idea, but the idea of me having a "bigger gun", suppressed, would give the wife the ability to comfortably jump up to something bigger (my gun) if/when needed on one of these more "once in a lifetime"/preference point elk hunts (where she would specifically be targeting a bigger bodied animal).
The same caliber would make things ‘easier’.

Especially if you focused on the projectile and terminal performance at the distance you’ve self imposed and minimized recoil.

How you ‘feel’ about terminal ballistic performance is irrelevant.

Get over it.

Focus on what matters.

OP
V

visage

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys for all the input and the deep dive into the subject. Always good to gain perspective from others.

Despite the appeal of trying a new caliber, it sounds like a 6.5 CM is the right caliber for the wife given that we already have a fair amount of ammo for our current 6.5 CM.

I honestly didn't give much credit to the economy and practicality of us each shooting the same caliber. With that in mind it would be hard to justify a slight step up into something different so I think a 6.5 CM for myself is in order as well.

I'm sure there is a high likelihood of trying something bigger down the road, likely based on curiosity, but I can appreciate the merit in running dual 6.5CMs for the immediate future and getting plenty of rounds down range/animals on the ground.

B23

WKR
IMO, the 284 Win is a great non magnum do all cartridge. Unfortunately, the 284 Win's Achilles heel is factory ammo because there typically isn't many offerings for it but if you reload that isn't an issue and the 284 becomes a very versatile do all cartridge. Kind of a bigger badder 7-08 on steroids. :)

TN2shot07

WKR
I went about this backwards but it’s worked out now! We tried a few different rifles but she settled on a model seven in 243. I now also have model sevens in 7mm-08 and 308. They are all similarly scoped and she can shoot the other two just as well in a hunting situation. I carry the 7-08 most of the time

Maverick1

WKR
Thanks guys for all the input and the deep dive into the subject. Always good to gain perspective from others.

Despite the appeal of trying a new caliber, it sounds like a 6.5 CM is the right caliber for the wife given that we already have a fair amount of ammo for our current 6.5 CM.

I honestly didn't give much credit to the economy and practicality of us each shooting the same caliber. With that in mind it would be hard to justify a slight step up into something different so I think a 6.5 CM for myself is in order as well.

I'm sure there is a high likelihood of trying something bigger down the road, likely based on curiosity, but I can appreciate the merit in running dual 6.5CMs for the immediate future and getting plenty of rounds down range/animals on the ground.
Take a look at the Tikka compact (youth) model. Comes in 6.5 CM, with 20” barrel and 12.5 LOP. Should fit her nicely. Can get a variety of Tikka options for yourself to match. Including the super lite. Enjoy!

Unckebob

WKR

For deer and antelope, the 6.5CM should be more than adequate. There are plenty of photos on this site that show it "can" take Elk.

The following chart gives you a rough idea of relative recoil of a large number of cartridges. https://backfire.tv/recoil/

- The 6.5 PRC and 270 are nearly identical 16.27 vs 17.24.
- 6.5 CM is only 11.87.

Unless you are very recoil shy, I think you are making a mistake locking yourself into a cartridge that may have less margin of error than a slightly more powerful cartridges.

What does that recoil get you? About 250 fps. That means less drop and more energy when the bullet gets there.

What if you get a shot at a big Elk bull and it is at a range that makes the 6.5CM marginal? What if the presentation is not idea? What if you are hunting in a state that limits hunters to Copper -> you need more velocity?

Finally, a lot of companies make rifles with shorter, threaded barrels. It would be cheaper to buy one already set up that way.

You might be over thinking it. Just get two tikka t3x stainless lites in 6.5 creedmoor. Then down the line you can modify them both to fit each of you better and chop and thread the barrels for a supressor.
That’s my suggestion as well, sounds like it would fit the bill about perfectly

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
Why not step it up just a bit for yourself and go 6.5 PRC and she can stick with the creedmore? It sounds like you would appreciate the extra bit of performance. I personally would still be going bigger for reasons previously stated but 6.5 PRC would still be a good choice.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
I'd have her stay with 6.5 Creedmoor and then get a 270 or 280AI for yourself. You can load either one down to 6.5 creed levels for practice/steel to avoid recoil and then use hotter rounds for hunting.

As for your other options, 6.5PRC would be my pick of the two. The 7 PRC will likely be more recoil than you're comfortable with.

Honestly, you can't really go wrong with any option here. It's fun to think about, but the differences really only start showing up at ranges beyond 600 yards.

ElPollo

WKR
The only issue you are likely to have with two 6.5 cms is the number of memes and people who will make odd faces when you tell them what you are shooting. I get around that by telling people that I’m shooting a 265 Scandinavian or a 260 pseudo Swede. Occasionally I will tell people it’s a 500 Gibbs with a wicked muzzle break. Usually there is a long enough delay in the conversation that I can exit stage left or I can just whip out pictures of dead stuff.

Maverick1

WKR
The only issue you are likely to have with two 6.5 cms is the number of memes and people who will make odd faces when you tell them what you are shooting. I get around that by telling people that I’m shooting a 265 Scandinavian or a 260 pseudo Swede. Occasionally I will tell people it’s a 500 Gibbs with a wicked muzzle break. Usually there is a long enough delay in the conversation that I can exit stage left or I can just whip out pictures of dead stuff.
Listen, Chicken man…..LOL.

Unckebob

WKR

I have a 6.5CM and it is a dahm fine deer rifle. Absolutely love it. It is stupid accurate. (If I had enough hair, I would even be willing to grow a Manbun to prove my love.) It is going to be a great rifle for my daughter who is ready to start hunting deer with me in the Fall.

But needing a 2nd rifle for myself, I decided add to my options rather than simply get another 6.5CM. My new build can shoot either 270 Win or 280AI with a barrel switch. The 270 will be my deer antelope rifle. The 280AI if I get the Nilgai hunt organized.