Savage 110 ultralight shimmed bottom metal groups

Jake H

FNG
I have a a savage 110 ultra light in .308 with a pure precision stock. I have noticed it doing something strange and wondered if any one else has ever ran into similar issues. As I have been attempting to do load development (I am new too reloading) I have been struggling to get groups under 1-1/2. Always two in the same hole and one flyer. I did however stick a shim under bottom plastic (due to accutrigger safety fin occasionally getting engaged) and suddenly my groups are 1/2-3/4”. Just curious if any one knows why that would be causing one big flyer. Kind of baffled me haha

Wapiti1

WKR
The rear screw on Savage rifles can cause issues. Most of the time, it's too much torque and the rear tang contacts the stock (its not supposed to). The stock inlet does not fully support the back of the action and it will warp the action if too tight. Too little torque, and it acts like a loose screw, even though it seems tight. I've converted several 110's to a screw at the action rear tang and abandoned the center position rear screw entirely.
I'd say you hit the right torque for the screw.

Jeremy

OP
Jake H

Jake H

FNG
oh ok that’s interesting I’ve nevee heard that. Thanks!