Bad Neighbors

KenLee

WKR
I have an idiot cousin that owns a couple of shit box trailer parks in Henderson County , NC. One of the trailers had a tenant evicted and it is falling apart. Instead of fixing it, he hooked it up to his tractor and pulled the piece of shit to his house (next to mine) and parked it parallel on the damn driveway. Now i have to look at the fkn pile of trash every day. And the county wont do anything about it.
Sounds like it needs to go "poof"

Eddielasvegas: $790,000 at this point. Snowed in from october - june. No power. Road from hell shared with another neighber. Lots of 12-14 % grades. Too high for timber. Too steep for anything but marginal grazing.

Have at it!
Water?
How far away is power?

Oregon

WKR
Well, we have no acreage. .9 acre lots.
Bought this house 11 years ago. 97 year old neighbor died 2 years ago(she was awesome).
Anyhoots, a buyer from the state south of me bought it.
About a month ago(this is no bullshit/exaggerating) called me over to the back fence when I was playing with dogs.
His exact words were "we need to find a day next week that we can pull up chain link and I'll put in a 6' privacy fence".
Within 1 second I replied "the f@&ck we do".
Here's 2 pics. First from my deck. Mother Nature provided great privacy. The second is his other neighbor.
People suck.
IMG_5151.jpegIMG_5152.jpeg

I’ve lived in one neighborhood where all 3 of the neighbors in the cul de sac were awesome. Everyone was friendly but minded their own business and kept the houses up. I didn’t know how lucky I was. In the 20 years since then, I’ve had a handful of decent neighbors, plenty of not so great, and a handful of downright bad. Looking forward to retiring and being able to settle down somewhere.

OP
P
Doc Holiday: power is at about a mile ( as the crow flys), they did drill a well (350-370 ft) and I am guessing 3-5 gpm but I didn't get any closer than I had to.

Rokbar

WKR
I have an idiot cousin that owns a couple of shit box trailer parks in Henderson County , NC. One of the trailers had a tenant evicted and it is falling apart. Instead of fixing it, he hooked it up to his tractor and pulled the piece of shit to his house (next to mine) and parked it parallel on the damn driveway. Now i have to look at the fkn pile of trash every day. And the county wont do anything about it.
How long would it take the fire dept. to get there?

logem

FNG
Would it realistically be $120K, $160K, or the $900K to purchase the 160 acres? You mentioned all three. Sounds lucrative for a permanent neighbor who likes to shoot, hunt, and be neighborly despite the electricity deficiency. I'm too far away (New Mexico) to consider, but maybe you'll find a good spirit here to take it over.

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
1690535913991.jpeg

Fatcamp

WKR
I’m pretty lucky with good ones. The only bad behavior has been Californians thinking the place needs lit up like a fed prison. We don’t do street lighting here, and they don’t anymore.

I've had people move in and build on both sides over the last few years. My only gripe is the yardlight thing. I just don't get it.

Why move to the country if you are scared of the dark?

Rich M

WKR
When did this change for insurance companies. If the stump is on your property it is your tree and you are liable if it falls and damages someone else's property. Especially if it is documented as being a hazardous tree.
Maybe if it is a "hazardous tree". Otherwise, not that I'm aware of (could be wrong and I'm in FL with the hurricanes) - the way I understand it: if the tree falls, the property where it lies gets to deal with it. My tree thru the fence and your shed, I'm only responsible up to the fence. Seen it a few times down here - they cut up to the fence line and left the stuff on the other side.

I think it is a strange way to look at it. It doesn't promote folks taking care of things, being responsible, or a good neighbor.

Insurance companies down here also take care of the roofs. If your roof is damaged and leaks, you call insurance and they replace it. I was raised to fix the roof and make sure it didn't damage anything else in the house. Somewhere along the lines, insurance companies started writing $10-$20k checks to cover what is a wearable part. (no wonder they keep going out of business down here) Also - the policies state to put a tarp down over roof damage but not to use nails. My uncle had damage from the first of 3 hurricanes to hit in i think 2004. I used clear plastic, blue tarp, fir strips and roofing nails - patched his roof and the patch held thru the next 2 storms but if had done the insurance method, his whole house woulda been very water damaged.

KHNC

WKR
Tree falls on to your yard and it is your problem. That’s how insurance treats it. Sux fer yer fence.

I say that looking at a 150-200 ft tall 1/2 dead maple next door and i need a new shed. Gotta move my shed over to where it wont get hit.

Guy also let his privacy fence rot and wants me to replace it. Jeah, i’m gonba drop a couple grand w that 1/2 dead maple hoovering for the kill.

They can’t see past the “i” in their personality.
You seem to "partially " know insurance anyway. Insurance companies treat dead trees differently. Send your neighbor a Certified Letter notifying him of the dead tree hazard. If he doesnt remove it , and it falls, you have placed the liability on him in the eyes of law, and the insurance company. If your insurance company pays for it, they will subrogate to recover their money from your neighbor or his insurance.

KHNC

WKR
When did this change for insurance companies. If the stump is on your property it is your tree and you are liable if it falls and damages someone else's property. Especially if it is documented as being a hazardous tree.
This has never been the case for insurance claims. Only exception is a dead or hazardous tree, that you FIRST have notified the owner of the hazard. Certified Letter is best. That way you have a copy and a receipt of delivery. Then liability falls on the owner of the tree.

I have no idea how people live next to other people. I can't see the road or other houses from my house. I couldn't live any other way.

Not only did I build my house out of sight from the road, but I built my house in a location that if Disney world built around me and up to my property lines, I couldn't even see a ride.

Only cost me $12000 in gravel to get back in here, but I got it done. lol

In Iowa you have to have documented proof that you contacted the neighbor about the risky tree. However, if the wind blows it over it's most always considered an "act of God" and not covered.