Anyone suffer a VAD-Vertebral Artery Dissection with Stroke?

Idaboy

WKR
- Would want f/u MR angio or CT angio in 6 weeks and see a stroke neurologist or "neuro vascular interventional radiologist", rare, but every so often stent is needed, but that tends to be in patients with unstable flap of the dissection that have studdering symptoms
- aspirin or antiplatet therapy often prescribed
- was your BP elevated prior? If it was only up at time of presentation to ER I would not then that was the cause. Odd there wasn't some other trigger..any recent infection, vaccines or illness?
- get a sleep study, nearly 80% of stroke patients may have sleep apnea
- even if you feel 100% back to normal, see both a PT and OT that see stroke patients for balance etc exercises
- as others have said, bp control, cholesterol and never smoke....cut way down on etoh
- keep your wife, she sounds like a gem

OP
J
Jesse - as the others have said BP is the biggest thing I've been told to keep a close eye on. mine was never concerningly high, but was not great either. My wife is a nurse and is very adamant about watching blood pressure. For me work/stress was the biggest contributor to my higher BP, since the stroke I've been much better about leaving work at work and not letting it control my life.

My cholesterol is good, but they had me on a statin for a couple months just as a precaution. However I will be on a low dose aspirin for the foreseeable future
Very similar again. But my BP sucks. I just took in this AM...even on meds I was 130/100. The bottom number is how hard your heart is working. I am not a big fat ass. But I can do better. I HAVE to get that number better.

I have a stressful job. If the stress is low...the job still follows me home. I am On Call and a Boss...24/7. I hate that shit. But it's life.

Statin here as well. My cholesterol has been high to borderline high for a long time. Been told the Statins have an anti inflamatory property they are using in our cases as well as cholesterol control.

OP
J
- Would want f/u MR angio or CT angio in 6 weeks and see a stroke neurologist or "neuro vascular interventional radiologist", rare, but every so often stent is needed, but that tends to be in patients with unstable flap of the dissection that have studdering symptoms
- aspirin or antiplatet therapy often prescribed
- was your BP elevated prior? If it was only up at time of presentation to ER I would not then that was the cause. Odd there wasn't some other trigger..any recent infection, vaccines or illness?
- get a sleep study, nearly 80% of stroke patients may have sleep apnea
- even if you feel 100% back to normal, see both a PT and OT that see stroke patients for balance etc exercises
- as others have said, bp control, cholesterol and never smoke....cut way down on etoh
- keep your wife, she sounds like a gem
Yes sleep apnea. I don't think it's terrible. And the CPAP machine has collected dust since I got it. I simply cannot get comfortable with an octopus wanting to F my face all night. But I have to try again I guess. Anti Snore mouthpiece assists with snoring but maybe not apnea. All directions I am heading to correct.

No smokes. No tobacco.

No illness, sickness nada prior. BP must have been up prior. I had not checked it in many months.

Lost me on etoh????

My relationship w Mrs has been stellar. Never taken her for granted or put her anyplace other than 1st. I don't see that changing. She even got "Thank you for saving my Life" flowers...lol. Lots of High 5s from her colleagues from making a great catch and call. I am sure it's rewarding to use all those years of medical training....for someone you love.

Idaboy

WKR
EtOH= alcohol....linked to bp and stroke, don't have to give it completely up but would rec limit to 2 drinks (and not slurpy size) once per week

Find a sleep clinic that really wants to help with mask, pressure setting etc, for long term trouble shooting where you can wear and sleep good. Not sure your dental device but get a good one designed by dentist who does them for sleep apnea pts, so you have an option for when off grid/ (hunting/camping)

Be well bro

I use the SnoreRx device. Been using it for years now. I don’t snore much anymore, if at all. Easy breathing. Check it out. No dog in the fight.

I’m a fan of statins.

P

Last edited: