Opportunity for first Elk Hunt in Montana

If you don't have horses, the meat comes out on your back in multiple loads. Good pack frames are invaluable. Ditch the idea of "field dressing." You're going to "bone it out" on the kill site. This usually means a cut along the spine and skinning downward. Then taking off quarters, back straps, etc.
An alternate to the backpacking it out - last time I went out west we use a roll up hard sled - We call it a "sked" in my work, but I think they have some marketed for game transport. Ended up putting an entire quartered/deboned mix of a cow elk in game bags on it and dragging it out. The terrain wasn't that rough or vertical so if you have severe grades to go up and down, your mileage may vary. IMO if you have a lot of changing terrain to go up and down it would probably be challenging.

First of all, congrats on committing to it. A lot of advice and good advice on gear and mindsets in this thread. I will chime in on the physical part. Sounds like you are smashing it and losing weight/moving really well. I would be mindful about rucking too often, and plan on rucking once a week and adding distance and/or weight to your pack every week. The last thing you need is an injury coming into the season. It would be really helpful to look into MTN TOUGH and follow some of the basic programs, and eventually shoot for pre-season prep late spring/early summer. If you follow the programs, you will be more than prepared to get into the mountains and shake it up. Keep up the momentum! Its a lot easier to train hard and push yourself with something to look forward to!

jimwinks

FNG
good luck and have fun! You will probably only use/need half of the gear that you buy. Good boots, binos & a comfortable meat pack are the main items. Get in shape & shoot and various distances. You will enjoy every minute of it!

where are you in Michigan? I'm in Hamilton, just south of Holland on the west side. I've got my first elk hunt this fall as well. this thread is great help in getting ready.

good luck!

OP
allstajacket
where are you in Michigan? I'm in Hamilton, just south of Holland on the west side. I've got my first elk hunt this fall as well. this thread is great help in getting ready.

good luck!

Thanks,

I’m in Waterford, in Oakland County. I grew up on the west side of the state though north of Muskegon!

Best of luck on your hunt! Feel free to share thoughts/ideas and I’ll be sure to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I'm in a very similar boat, so this thread is great. I've never been backpacking out west so I may be wrong here, if I am, hopefully the people here will tell me why.

I can tell you from both my experience and research don't worry about rucking heavy before your trip. The most successful guys on the mountain side don't ruck heavy, they're lean guys who run ultra marathons. I don't know about you, but the running is out of the question due to back problems.

I would suggest you continue to ruck 20-25lbs a week in the pack and boots you intend to take, but not going much if any heavier. You want to make sure that you're comfortable in your pack and boots during strenuous activates before you get on the mountain. I plan to start rucking in my pack with ~25lbs and warm weather boots once a week 4 months out from my hunt. I'll switch to my hunting boots as soon as temperature starts to drop. I have some history of rucking weight in boots, so getting acclimated to the gear will be fairly quick for me. If I had never done it before I would start as soon as possible.

OP
allstajacket
I'm in a very similar boat, so this thread is great. I've never been backpacking out west so I may be wrong here, if I am, hopefully the people here will tell me why.

I can tell you from both my experience and research don't worry about rucking heavy before your trip. The most successful guys on the mountain side don't ruck heavy, they're lean guys who run ultra marathons. I don't know about you, but the running is out of the question due to back problems.

I would suggest you continue to ruck 20-25lbs a week in the pack and boots you intend to take, but not going much if any heavier. You want to make sure that you're comfortable in your pack and boots during strenuous activates before you get on the mountain. I plan to start rucking in my pack with ~25lbs and warm weather boots once a week 4 months out from my hunt. I'll switch to my hunting boots as soon as temperature starts to drop. I have some history of rucking weight in boots, so getting acclimated to the gear will be fairly quick for me. If I had never done it before I would start as soon as possible.

Thanks, I used to run often and am getting back into it. I plan to “ruck” a mile at a walking pace at least a couple times a week, and every other day I’m switching to no weight, just walking/jogging/running as I can and as I progress. I typically progress pretty quickly as I’ve done this a couple of times in the past (get back into shape via running.)

I’m doing some moderate weight lifting as well just because I was very lacking in that category, but I definitely will not be “bulking.”

Seeknelk

WKR
Sounds like you have the gear and exercise thing sorted pretty well. I see some used exo packs for sale on here lately. Highly recommend.
The main issue I've seen with buddies, brothers etc that come out to hunt, is lack of shooting prep, practice, knowledge. By practice, I mean knowing your sequence of operations by heart.
When you have a short window of time at maybe 370 or is it 430 yards, what are the first things you do and do you fumble and waste a lot of time.
Step 1- get gun off shoulder sling or gunbearer or Slik Sling ( highly,highly recommend the Slik sling)
Step 2 - get pack off( this part, guys fumble and take way too long quite often)
Step 3- set up your shooting platform, off your pack, bipod, tripod or whatever you like to use. Practice with it!
Step 4- range target
Step 5- use correct holdover or dial accordingly.
Step 6 set parallax
Step 7 consider wind and check and tell tales near and far. Snow blowing is wonderful if it's not too heavy.
Step 8 shoot-
anyway, just a sample of what a list MIGHT look like.
Do this drill with a timer. Look up Kraft Drill on this forum. There's a bit more method to the madness that I highlighted. But after just one times drill, I GUARANTEE you will learn at least a few faster , more efficient things or ways to set up and get it done! It's eye opening!
Anyway, have fun with the prep! It's a big part of the experience!
Learn all you can about elk biology especially later in the season.

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
I’m only guessing you are looking at late October into early November? Last year I was elk hunting during this timeframe in the Lewis and Clark area. I’d say temperatures ranged from single digits to mid 30’s. Depending on location, timeframe, and hunting style, would all be factors before I put together a gear list. If you would like, I could mock you up a gear list. Another factor would be style (e.g. pack-in, horseback, base camp…etc).

As far as condition. I would not recommend getting into a pack until 90 days out. With being a little heavy, your joints will take a pounding. I’d focus on setup boxes (not weighted to start), elliptical, and row machine. Easy on the joints. Start with a 15-20 minute HIIT. For example; 30 seconds full boar, and one minute slow pace. Try to manage this to have your heart rate around 160 during the fast and get down to 130 on the slow. Once 90 days out, add weight to the step up boxes, and start packing. On packing I’d start with 20-40lbs and 5 mile packs. Gradually increase with a goal of 10 mile packs with around 70lbs.

I also recommend shooting off a pack, off sticks, and with angle. Another helpful tactic is to get your heart rate up before shooting. Make sure your DOPE charts consider elevation change.

Good luck!

Tdudley88

FNG
Trying to get drawn for Montana this year for the first time. Seems like a process that has been overly complicated but I am excited none the less. Good luck!

I have the opportunity to hunt Elk in Montana for the first time this year during rifle season.

My cousin’s husband who is a resident has offered to take me, and while I will be speaking with him a ton in the subject, I’d like to also do research elsewhere and be as little of a burden on him as possible. My father in law will also be joining us.

We purchased preference points before the end of the year, and I understand we can purchase another before the draw? I believe we plan to hunt a general area.

I am going to have a TON of questions, and thought this would be a good place to start. I’m going to put down what I have and my thoughts so far, but my biggest problem is that I simply don’t know what I dont know.

My first priority is getting in shape, so I’ve started rucking on the treadmill daily, as well as doing approximately a half mile to mile walk every day at work. At 6’2 and 295lbs I have a long way to go, but I’m down from 325 3 months ago. I typically handle hiking and rucking well, so my main concern is endurance and strength. I currently have about 25lbs in the Ruck ans will increase as I go.

I’m hoping to gather some info on what to expect as far as weather, temperature, and how to plan to dress. It seems like it’ll be a lot different than how I dress for Michigan whitetail hunting.

For gear, I’m not sure what I’ll need. I need to talk to my cousin to find out what kind of Hunt we will be doing, camping, or what?

Gear: Assuming not needing Camping gear, What sort of gear will I need? I plan on getting a Mystery ranch sawtooth 45 or metcalf. The sawtooth 45 was recommended by my cousin.

Rifle: I currently plan on using my Model 70 EW in .308, and my father in law has a savage ultralight in .308. I currently am working on a 165gr accubond load. I MIGHT acquire a new rifle before the hunt, unsure! (Have a few options of 200gr projectiles on hand)

Optics: I currently have a cheap pair of Bushnell binos that work well for me for deer season, but plan to upgrade to a Leupold BX-4. Not sure If a Spotting scope will be needed? I’m running a razor HD LHT 3-15 on my rifle, and FIL is using a VX-5HD.

We will be driving out there for the hunt, so I also plan to get a nice big cooler for the back to bring meat home.

I’m sure I’m missing some things so I’ll update accordingly.

What gaps are there in my knowledge/gear, and how can I fill them?

Thanks!!! :)

2/12/23 Edit:

I’m going to edit this every now and then to track my progress. Hopefully by the end I can put everything together and maybe help another first-timer.

Since I posted this I’ve acquired a new rifle, a Weatherby MK V Hunter in 300 Win Mag.

I received my Leupold BX-4’s, and after talking with my cousin, decided I won’t need a spotting scope.

For my pack I got the mystery ranch sawtooth 45.

Boots: I just ordered Schnee’s 200gr Beartooth boots, will see how they work when they arrive.

As far as physical fitness goes, I actually put a brief pause on rucking and started to focus on weight training. Not because I thought this would directly help my hunt (although it will,) I just needed it. I was pretty “squishy.” Still am, but am working on it. Getting back to rucking tonight.

Some things still on my list:

garmin inreach mini- This was a recommendation from my cousin, and seems like a good tool to have.

Black Diamond Storm 500-r - I have a bunch of headlamps but the storm 500-r seems like a great choice for a primary. Rechargeable, and waterproof.

Clothing- going to wait until late summer to gather the clothing for the hunt as I’ve gone down 2 sizes in pants already and I’m not even close to ready.

There’s more, so I’ll be back to update.

Good luck. Going with a buddy for general elk next yr 2024

Still figuring out the tags and going to accumulate a point this year

87TT

WKR
Two things.
One, Firstlite zip off base layers. (game changer)
Two, I start carrying my pack around April with 20-25 lbs. in it. Because that is around what I carry hunting not counting weapon. After a couple of weeks, I start adding weight, about 5 lbs. every week or so until I get to around 50-55 lb pack weight. I keep it there until Hunting season. I do this while I walk the dog every day 3 -3 1/2 miles. 1 1/2 miles in the AM and again in the evening. I also add some steep hills in the mix. This will help get you used to the pack. I mostly Bow hunt but practice shooting both with the pack on. You will find out whether your pack carries weight well or not. I found it harder to get in shape the older I got. This has been working for me and I just turned 70.
Bonus; Buy a used EXO pack before a new MR

Sure, ill give away all the knowledge it took me decades to learn. Do you want me to guide you, shoot the elk, butcher it, pack it out, and drive you back to Michigan too???