Alaska unit advice.

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
Well our group had a hunt planned on the North Slope last year that was cancelled at the last minute, so we ended up throwing together a Kodiak hunt and had a fantastic trip. Now I am looking at putting together a trip back in 2017 or 2018 for caribou. My buddy that lives in Wasilla pretty much set everything up on the last trip and we booked with a transporter he had used in the past and were going to follow the same trip plan they did before. I am doing all the planning/booking this time, so pressures on me! Most of our schedules work best for early September, but last week-ish of August is not out of the question.

Part of the problem we ran into last year was weather, and through research I have found that several air services do not operate past August 30th on the north slope for that reason. With units 26b/c and 25a/b being the only units that still have a two or more bull bag limit for non residents, and our most likely time frame possibly not allowing us to access 26b/c, it is looking like a one bull hunt is more likely in our future. Also the closure of 23 to non residents is putting a kink in things, because a float hunt out of Kotz was high on the list before that happened. That would have allowed my buddy from Wasilla to hunt moose also.

So it is looking like a 26a hunt with Brooks Range Aviation or a hunt in the 40 mile area with either 40 mile air or Tok air. Price is pretty comparable for either. The hunt with BRA will be in a beaver instead of a cub. So a more comfy camp on that hunt for sure, but we are all comfortable hunting out of a lightweight camp set up. If we are going to be limited to a one bull unit, everybody is going to be a little more picky about what they shoot and we would be looking for trophy bulls if possible. Does one of these hunt areas tend to produce bigger bulls over the other? I may be way over thinking this situation. As much fun as I had in Alaska last time, I'm sure either would really be great.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
generally speaking the WAH caribou (gmu 23 + 26A) have higher numbers and great bulls. The Fortymile Herd has lower numbers and a lot of medium shooters comparatively, but does have some very good antler mass.

IMO, you may want to ask yourself what secondary priorities you have regarding terrain character and backdrop scenery. Are you wanting an arctic wilderness experience or an Interior alpine/boreal transgression experience.

Either hunt produces the experience we all talk about, but to dial in the specific area demands our attention to the other bounties surrounding the harvest potential. Example: fishing for char while waiting on caribou is high on my list. You wont have that in Fortymile country.

IMO, you may want to ask yourself what secondary priorities you have regarding terrain character and backdrop scenery. Are you wanting an arctic wilderness experience or an Interior alpine/boreal transgression experience.

Larry makes a good point. Caribou are caribou, but the hunting experience between those units will differ considerably. For someone coming from the L48, I would expect the Brooks Range / N. Slope experience will be more dramatic.

The 40 Mile country is nice, but very different. It's mostly hilly country with a mix of alpine, birch brush, and scrubby spruce depending on elevation. You can still get slammed by weather as early as the last weekend of August in the 40 mile (I caught an inch of snow that week last year), but it's actually more likely to be warm and the weather overall is likely to be friendlier (vs. the Brooks) going into the later season. The colors in Sept can fantastic in the alpine out there.

I really like hunting the north slope, but man oh man it can sure be tough to get into bow range. I'd love to do a 40 mile country hunt sometime soon though. I think it would be perfect terrain for archery hunting.

OP
O

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the archery bulls!

I'm not entirely sure about the other guys, but driving up the haul road is fairly high on my priority list. Seems like something a guy should do at least once in his life! Honestly this will probably be the only time most of us are able to go on a caribou hunt all together, and a couple of the guys probably the only time they will ever go. North slope is most likely what we will end up scheduling again. Is late August much safer as far as weather goes than the first week or two of September?

I have been talking to one air service, and he is flying hunters into unit 25a from chandalar shelf. This is still a two bull unit for us non resident, at least right now it is. Would anybody recommend going over that way and hunting the porcupine herd? That would also put us south of the brooks range in early September. Possibly less weather to worry about, although I know it is always somewhat of a concern?

The weather up there can be unpredictable especially as August comes to an end. I'd book a trip, plan for the worst and hope for the best! I don't see why 25A would be a bad idea, go for it.

I shot another one this past weekend, been fun up there this year but people are starting so show up in droves so this will be my last for awhile.

attachment.php