My Last Remote AK Caribou Hunt

Read1t48

WKR
Great story and congrats on the hunt. I’m sure the last trip brought back many years of memories.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
We had crap weather in our area that isn't that far from where you were, we had basically 1 nice day of weather and the rest were either, rain, high winds, snow or a combination of them. You made the best of the time you had and were successful on your hunt, congrats to you guys for making it happen.

bowuntr

WKR
Right on, congratulations. We were out there right after you and experienced the same weather. This was my 6th hunt with 40 Mile and I'll agree they are top notch. Probably my last caribou hunt as well... gotta get this moose monkey off my back. Ed F

OP
A

AKBorn

WKR
Right on, congratulations. We were out there right after you and experienced the same weather. This was my 6th hunt with 40 Mile and I'll agree they are top notch. Probably my last caribou hunt as well... gotta get this moose monkey off my back. Ed F
Hey Ed! Hope your hunt went well.

I went the easier route, got the moose out of the way on my very first 40 Mile hunt, been doing moose/bou combos or bou only ever since. Good luck to you, and glad my days of packing moose meat are in the rearview lol. The day we were leaving Tok I bumped into a guy about to fly in for moose, he was 76 and looked like he was in as good or better shape than me!

OP
A

AKBorn

WKR
We had crap weather in our area that isn't that far from where you were, we had basically 1 nice day of weather and the rest were either, rain, high winds, snow or a combination of them. You made the best of the time you had and were successful on your hunt, congrats to you guys for making it happen.
Thanks. When I stopped by 40 Mile the next morning to pick up our meat, I ran into some of the guys that endured the REALLY tough weather back in 2012. That year made this year look like a day at the beach.

VernAK

WKR
Thanks. When I stopped by 40 Mile the next morning to pick up our meat, I ran into some of the guys that endured the REALLY tough weather back in 2012. That year made this year look like a day at the beach.
The wind in that storm blew houses off the foundations in Tanacross and was recorded at 114mpht that airport. John Havard has told the story previously.

OP
A

AKBorn

WKR
The wind in that storm blew houses off the foundations in Tanacross and was recorded at 114mpht that airport. John Havard has told the story previously.
Yea Vern it was John and one of his hunt partners I ran into at 40 Mile on Sep 6, they were getting ready to fly in that day.

Hunter26

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations! Alaska is the best place on earth. Or at least of the places I have been.

AKDoc

WKR
I truly enjoyed reading about your adventure and looking at the pictures! Thank you for sharing with us!

Good on you for making this happen all these years...I greatly respect that, sir.

The very best to you in your future life adventures as you focus on shared opportunities with your loved one.

OP
A

AKBorn

WKR
I truly enjoyed reading about your adventure and looking at the pictures! Thank you for sharing with us!

Good on you for making this happen all these years...I greatly respect that, sir.

The very best to you in your future life adventures as you focus on shared opportunities with your loved one.
Thanks Doc! Congrats on a great moose hunt with your son, and if I read it correctly it sounds like there may be more family moose hunts in the future?

AKDoc

WKR
Thanks Doc! Congrats on a great moose hunt with your son, and if I read it correctly it sounds like there may be more family moose hunts in the future?
Yes sir! Already booked for a 10-day moose hunt next year with my son.

buzzy

WKR
Congrats on a great hunt. Would love to do a hunt with 40 mile but being new and not having a previous reservation that’s tuff. Maybe you can pass along your reservation to a lucky couple of guys. I’ll raise my hand if you do 😁😁

OP
A

AKBorn

WKR
Congrats on a great hunt. Would love to do a hunt with 40 mile but being new and not having a previous reservation that’s tuff. Maybe you can pass along your reservation to a lucky couple of guys. I’ll raise my hand if you do 😁😁
40 Mile doesn't do reservation transfers, sorry! If I were in your shoes, I would call the 40 Mile office (Joey or Janoa will likely be the person who answers) and ask if any 40 Mile veterans are looking for a hunt partner for next season that they know of. Can't hurt to ask.

Muzzyfool

FNG
At the end of August, I flew to Alaska for one last remote caribou hunt; remote AK hunts have been a huge part of my life for the past 21 years. I would be hunting with my closest friend, who has hunted remote Alaska with me 4 times before; on this hunt we also brought his son, who is 18 and recently graduated from high school. Although not related by blood, his son has known me as “Uncle Mike” since he could talk.

We drove from Anchorage to Tok on August 29, checked in with 40 Mile Air and weighed our gear, and flew into the bush on the morning of August 30.

lpkqWL.jpg

pSgh21.jpg
If you had to pick one week to hunt zone 2, what’s days would you pick?