6mm arc build Howa Mini or buy complete

Which for 6mm ARC hunting rifle

• Savage Axis 2 and mod down the road

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
And we are done. Bedded, cut, and scoped. Ready to go kill some antelope since 3 in the family got tags this year. Need to get it to the range and dope out to 600 to see what the real killing range is with factory 108 ELDM.

View attachment 757556
Did you shoot prior to bedding? My fit isn't exactly loose, but it's not the vacuum sealed fit of the tikka in the stocky's VG.

-J

Marshfly

WKR
Did you shoot prior to bedding? My fit isn't exactly loose, but it's not the vacuum sealed fit of the tikka in the stocky's VG.

-J
I did. It was a little worse than I really wanted. Maybe 1.25-1.5 MOA. I only shot like 5 rounds just to check function though and it was with a very old Zeiss Conquest MC that I had laying around. Hoping now that the barrel is fouled a little and is sitting right in the stock it will tighten up.

I had the same thoughts as you when I dropped it in the stock. So I just told my smith to bed it while he was cutting and threading to make it easy.

Reactions: NSI
I’ve got 970 rounds on my Howa Mini. I have gotten very comfortable with the HACT two stage trigger. For all the folks with Howa Minis, once you figure out the trigger and when it breaks, groups will tighten up.

Marshfly

WKR
I’ve got 970 rounds on my Howa Mini. I have gotten very comfortable with the HACT two stage trigger. For all the folks with Howa Minis, once you figure out the trigger and when it breaks, groups will tighten up.
This might be another thing. I have my Tikka factory triggers as light as they will go with the factory spring and my Rem 700 is at 2.25# with a Triggertech. They are both super crisp.

This one will get a lot of range time before rifle season opens so I'll get it dialed. I'll probably use it for everything this year.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
This might be another thing. I have my Tikka factory triggers as light as they will go with the factory spring and my Rem 700 is at 2.25# with a Triggertech. They are both super crisp.

This one will get a lot of range time before rifle season opens so I'll get it dialed. I'll probably use it for everything this year.
Did you snip a coil?

-J

Marshfly

WKR
Did you snip a coil?

-J
No. Just backed the Allen screw out all the way. I just went and measured since the gun room is right next to my office. The Tikka 223 got to 1.75#. (should probably up that a little) The Tikka 6.5CM lefty got to 3#. I was good with that one as it's my teenage son's hunting rifle.

Is it just as easy to adjust the Howa trigger?

Edit: Just checked the Howa...4#. That's getting adjusted before getting shot again.

Last edited:

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
No. Just backed the Allen screw out all the way. I just went and measured since the gun room is right next to my office. The Tikka 223 got to 1.75#. (should probably up that a little) The Tikka 6.5CM lefty got to 3#. I was good with that one as it's my teenage son's hunting rifle.

Is it just as easy to adjust the Howa trigger?

Edit: Just checked the Howa...4#. That's getting adjusted before getting shot again.
1 coil, and backed out with 2 threads remaining yielded 2lb for me. It's not phenomenal but it's usable.

It's not Tikka easy, but it's not old Sako or Rem 700 bad to adjust. There's one video on YouTube that covers it thoroughly. It's the one with all the views.

-J

turbo406

FNG
I’ve been thinking about a Howa mini, but haven’t found any nearby to handle. The BA from Brownells seem like a great deal.
If your not set on the howa there's a gen 2 ruger ranch on MGT for 450 in Livingston in a 6 arc... if I didn't have a couple 6 arcs already it would be mine

Last edited:

waspocrew

WKR
If your not set on the howa there's a gen 2 ruger ranch on MGT for 450 in Livingston in a 6 arc... if I didn't have a couple 6 arcs already it would be mine
Thanks for the heads up!

I ended up diving in on the Howa mini with the current Brownells sale - $359 shipped was worth the gamble.

turbo406

FNG
Thanks for the heads up!

I ended up diving in on the Howa mini with the current Brownells sale - $359 shipped was worth the gamble.
I've been looking very very hard at that too, my savage 110 is heavy as hell so I wouldn't mind a lighter 6 arc to pack this year

JCMCUBIC

WKR
And we are done. Bedded, cut, and scoped. Ready to go kill some antelope since 3 in the family got tags this year. Need to get it to the range and dope out to 600 to see what the real killing range is with factory 108 ELDM.

View attachment 757556

I'm a fan of the DNZ 30 mm 4 screw rings on the mini. When you are able to sight it in, I'm curious to know how elevation travel turns out with the scope. From my experience (not on a mini), I've had to use a 20 MOA rail for a 200 yard zero to allow enough "up" left over to make use of the BDC dial. I like the 3-12 Klassic, but the lack of elevation adjustment has been an issue.

Marshfly

WKR
What rings are those? What did you end up cutting it too?
DNZ 2 piece. I'm almost positive the 2 piece are simply the 1 piece with the center rail cut off. Knowing that, the 1 piece would not have been acceptable for where this scope needed to be mounted seeing as how I had to flip the front ring.

It measures 17 5/8 from the front of the action. I think it was 4" from the original crown to where I put the tape marking where I wanted it cut.
I'm a fan of the DNZ 30 mm 4 screw rings on the mini. When you are able to sight it in, I'm curious to know how elevation travel turns out with the scope. From my experience (not on a mini), I've had to use a 20 MOA rail for a 200 yard zero to allow enough "up" left over to make use of the BDC dial. I like the 3-12 Klassic, but the lack of elevation adjustment has been an issue.
I have no use for a 200 yard zero. Everything I have is 100 yards. This will be the same for consistency. If the travel is an issue I can make do with the MilDot reticle to compensate I guess. I'll definitely report back though. What caliber/rifle did you have that issue on?

The Guide

WKR
Anyone know where to get the new style of factory bottom plastic for the Mini? I have 3 with the old style large long magazine release and would like to change them to the new recessed magazine release style.

Jay

Marshfly

WKR
Anyone know where to get the new style of factory bottom plastic for the Mini? I have 3 with the old style large long magazine release and would like to change them to the new recessed magazine release style.

Jay
I would call Legacy Sports. They have some bottom metals on the website but not specifically the Mini ones.

Honestly though, I bet someone here went with the drop floor plate and has one laying around.

That's my plan eventually.

JCMCUBIC

WKR

I have no use for a 200 yard zero. Everything I have is 100 yards. This will be the same for consistency. If the travel is an issue I can make do with the MilDot reticle to compensate I guess. I'll definitely report back though. What caliber/rifle did you have that issue on?

Off the top of my head...

7-08 Defiance build, couldn't be used with 25 MOA rings to set a 200 yard zero, with those rings I was still ~3 mil high at 200 and out of "down". Switched to a 20 MOA base, set 0@200, which left ~.5 mil "down" travel and all of the 4.8 mil up.

.308 Tikka, when originally zero'd with flat rings there was not enough "up" left in the bank to use all of the 3.2 bdc...I think it was 2.9 bdc where it ran out but I could be off there. I believe that was a 100 yard zero. I switched to a 20 MOA base with 0@200. All of the 3.2 was available to dial up.

It measures 17 5/8 from the front of the action. I think it was 4" from the original crown to where I put the tape marking where I wanted it cut.
Nice, i’m going to do similar on mine when i get it. Let us know what velocities you are achieving, if you have a chrono, when you get it out to the range.