6mm arc build Howa Mini or buy complete

Which for 6mm ARC hunting rifle

• Savage Axis 2 and mod down the road

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Saw a few comments regarding barreled action weights. I got this info directly from Brownells so I figured I’d share for future reference:

“Here are the weights on those 2 Howa actions:

M1500 Mini 6mm ARC BL STD 22" T/C 1/2X28 3PS

Brownells #430102217

Weights 3.85lbs.

M1500 Mini 6mm ARC BL HB 20" T/C 5/8x24 3PS

Brownells #430102218

Weights 4.3lbs.

Thanks for contacting Brownells.”

Hope this helps!

Found my answer in another thread and cross posting for those looking for the same.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
As you may have guessed, no news was not good news. You know it's bad when I stop shooting after 5 rounds.

IMG_2405.jpegIMG_2404.jpegIMG_2406.jpegtempImageWdAyTh.pngtempImageV6Lbs5.png

I'm including some Tikka data from the same range trip just for those who are not familiar with my typical cone of fire.
IMG_2403.jpegtempImage7JTVv3.png

Data dump attached ... your guess is as good as mine. Now contemplating a new barrel, which basically defeats the purpose of this build. Does bedding stand a chance of bringing 3" groups down to 1.5"?

Also attaching more velocity data for y'all.
IMG_2416.PNGIMG_2415.PNGIMG_2414.PNG

-J

Marshfly

WKR
As you may have guessed, no news was not good news. You know it's bad when I stop shooting after 5 rounds.

View attachment 758889View attachment 758890View attachment 758887View attachment 758893View attachment 758895

I'm including some Tikka data from the same range trip just for those who are not familiar with my typical cone of fire.
View attachment 758891View attachment 758896

Data dump attached ... your guess is as good as mine. Now contemplating a new barrel, which basically defeats the purpose of this build. Does bedding stand a chance of bringing 3" groups down to 1.5"?

View attachment 758897View attachment 758898View attachment 758899

-J
Mine is tightening up significantly after a bed job and a couple of boxes down the barrel. I was confidently ringing 10" steel at 600 yards today. My first 5 shots were north of 2.5".

Marshfly

WKR
So you guys were right about the S&B. I'm only able to dial to 350 yards with the DNZ mounts. I need a 20-25 MOA solution. I would rather stick with a ring mount setup for weight and complexity rather than a pic rail. Does anyone know of a solution similar to the Hawkins Long Range Hybrid rings for the 1500?

As said above I do not have a chronograph but based on the Shooter app and what I had to use to get proper dope at 600 yards I am seeing 2550 out of the barrel for an 1800 FPS right past 550 yards with factory 108 ELD-M.

Edit: started a new thread for mount ideas.

Last edited:

View attachment 758889View attachment 758890View attachment 758887View attachment 758893View attachment 758895

-J

Don’t give up yet. Try another range trip or two to see if anything changes. Get more rounds down the bore and get familiar/comfortable with the 2 stage HACT trigger. My 22” Howa Mini groups great with the can. The added weight to the barrel stabilizes it I guess.

-J
I’m riding a similar train and trying to figure it out as well. I’m shooting the factory Eldm 108. Have bedded the action, blah, blah, blah. And still struggling to get it to group. I’m going to give it to 100 rounds and then go from there. And then to add a cherry on top, I’m having significantly hard bolt lifts about every 2-3 shots. What gives 🤬

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Don’t give up yet. Try another range trip or two to see if anything changes. Get more rounds down the bore and get familiar/comfortable with the 2 stage HACT trigger. My 22” Howa Mini groups great with the can. The added weight to the barrel stabilizes it I guess.
That’s 2 trips in those photos. I appreciate that the trigger is different, but I shoot a 2 stage Laruw MBT in my ARs. I might give myself half a minute of grace, but the trigger can’t be responsible for tossing rounds 2 inches from my very stable prone point of aim. I want to affix a can to test that theory, will find an adapter and report back. Certainly won’t send 100 good rounds after bad without signs of immediate promise.

-J

PineBrook413

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
My 20" howa mini 6 arc in a stockys VG carbon stock does 1.4" 10 shot groups with 105 Hornday black and 1.7" 10 shot groups with 108 eldm match factory ammo. Gun has less than 100 rounds through it.

waspocrew

WKR
That’s 2 trips in those photos. I appreciate that the trigger is different, but I shoot a 2 stage Laruw MBT in my ARs. I might give myself half a minute of grace, but the trigger can’t be responsible for tossing rounds 2 inches from my very stable prone point of aim. I want to affix a can to test that theory, will find an adapter and report back. Certainly won’t send 100 good rounds after bad without signs of immediate promise.

-J

Do you hand load your own ammo? My AR in 6 ARC doesn’t seem to like the Hornady Black or the 103 Precision hunter. However, the 108 match stacks shots very well.

If limited to factory option, you could give HSM a try as well (75 Vmax, 95 SST, and 95 Berger). There might be some others as well from UM or Copper Creek.

My barreled action is supposed to arrive today, stock later this week. I probably won’t get a chance to really mess with it until after the hunting season though.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Do you hand load your own ammo? My AR in 6 ARC doesn’t seem to like the Hornady Black or the 103 Precision hunter. However, the 108 match stacks shots very well.

If limited to factory option, you could give HSM a try as well (75 Vmax, 95 SST, and 95 Berger). There might be some others as well from UM or Copper Creek.

My barreled action is supposed to arrive today, stock later this week. I probably won’t get a chance to really mess with it until after the hunting season though.

Interested to see how your barreled action performs. Reloading is one hobby I’ve promised myself not to start. Trying to keep cost per round down to factory with this particular build concept, otherwise the math pencils for me to build a 6cm Tikka instead. Have bought 300wsm from UM before which shot wonderfully but was 4 bucks a round instead of a buck fifty - adds up.

-J

Interested to see how your barreled action performs. Reloading is one hobby I’ve promised myself not to start. Trying to keep cost per round down to factory with this particular build concept, otherwise the math pencils for me to build a 6cm Tikka instead. Have bought 300wsm from UM before which shot wonderfully but was 4 bucks a round instead of a buck fifty - adds up.

-J

Reloading is the way. I was reluctant but a few years now its the greatest thing I've done by far for shooting. I was able to dial in the powder charge with my Howa Mini.

waspocrew

WKR

-J

Totally understandable! Reloading can certainly be expensive.

I’ll update the thread when I finally get my rifle together and throw some rounds down range.

Druid hill armory loads the 90 gr ELDX. 50 rounds for $75 + shipping. The 6 ARC groups I follow on Facebook gave great reviews with Druid’s ammo.

waspocrew

WKR
BA showed up on Tues, stock should arrive on Mon. Still not sure which scope I'll go with, but would like to keep it lighter than my typical set up (usually a NF NX8). Hoping to get some rounds down range in the next few weeks.

Marshfly

WKR
And we are done. Bedded, cut, and scoped. Ready to go kill some antelope since 3 in the family got tags this year. Need to get it to the range and dope out to 600 to see what the real killing range is with factory 108 ELDM.

View attachment 757556
Since the DNZ mounts didn't work out with the S&B turret travel they got swapped to an Outerlimits 20MOA rail and Warne Mountain Tech Low rings. The slightly higher scope center actually works better with the VG stock. Only added 1.5 ounces. Will report back on if this rail/scope setup allows full use of the S&B 3-12 4.8Mil Turrets.

IMG_5394.jpeg

waspocrew

WKR
Since the DNZ mounts didn't work out with the S&B turret travel they got swapped to an Outerlimits 20MOA rail and Warne Mountain Tech Low rings. The slightly higher scope center actually works better with the VG stock. Only added 1.5 ounces. Will report back on if this rail/scope setup allows full use of the S&B 3-12 4.8Mil Turrets.

View attachment 761614

Looks good! Glad to hear you were able to keep the weight down too. Curious to hear your report with the next shooting session.

waspocrew

WKR
I've been cycling the action a bunch and adjusted the trigger as low as possible (~ 2.5 lbs or so). Ended up following a youtube tutorial on a trigger mod by cutting the spring. Taking off 1 full coil allowed me to get this down to ~ 1.5 lbs which should work just fine. It actually feels pretty good now!

Reactions: NSI

View attachment 761614

I’ve run that rail for almost 1K rounds. No issues.

View attachment 761614
@Marshfly my apologies if you’ve said earlier and I missed it, what color is your stock? Thank you in advance.