6mm arc build Howa Mini or buy complete

Which for 6mm ARC hunting rifle

• Savage Axis 2 and mod down the road

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I’d say it’s decent for the price but you’ll probably be disappointed in comparing it to aftermarket rem 700 triggers.

I have a Timney waiting for me at home to try out. It should be a nice upgrade over stock.

They make a Timney for the Howa Mini? I know they make triggers for Howa 1500 but it won’t work for the Mini.

How's the trigger on the Howa? Decent for the price? I've been spoiled with the plethora of aftermarket rem 700 clone triggers.

It doesn’t compare to my single stage Tikkas. The Howa is a two stage but it’s good. I’ve gotten pretty good with it. It has very little travel and can be lightened a little to about 3 lbs. I think it’s a great trigger for a hunting rifle.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
I liked my stock HACT trigger but when I was offered a Timney for a really good price I jumped on it and don't regret it all.
It's not sooo much better that I'd pay full retail for the Timney

JCMCUBIC

WKR
Put this one together using a Howa Mini 7.62x39 stainless barreled action I picked up from Brownells. The stainless version in these seems to have a much smoother bolt feel than the chromoly versions I’ve handled. ...

I was shooting a SS 6.5 Gr mini Saturday along with a CM .223 mini. Like you mentioned, the stainless felt smoother to me, noticeably so.

PC356

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Glad I’m not the only one. It enticed me to order another 7.62x39 stainless mini barreled action to build a 16” .22 ARC.

z987k

WKR
For anyone following along, you can get the barreled action in 6ARC for $359 right now with a sale price then additional 15% off with code (LD15)
On Brownell's? Looks like they're $419.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Here's my 6 arc How Mini experiment. I've built nothing but Tikkas and ARs since I started shooting. Several biases were confirmed, such as fit and finish on bottom metal, difficulty of trigger adjustment, and rough running / binding of bolt. However, I am willing to look past or design around these shortcomings in order to explore a scaled receiver that enables a uniquely capable cartridge in a light build with minimal gunsmithing.

Here's the prototype (Great Pyrenees for scale)
IMG_2296.jpeg

Parts list:
Howa Mini 6 ARC Barreled action, 22" 1/2-28 threads (375 at Brownells on Sale)
Jefferson Outdoors bottom metal (135)
Stocky's VG (380 with rs30)
Warne Mountain Tech Rings (temp, too high)
SWFA 10x (temp, too much mag)

Weight w/ mag: 7lb 3oz
IMG_2295.jpeg

Some immediate issues were related to stock and action. Re: Action, trigger pull was extremely hard and bolt lifts were stiff. To remedy the trigger, I removed the tamper seal, cut off a coil of spring, and backed the adjustment screw out. It's better but still not great, probably wants another half coil cut off. To remedy the bolt, I applied grease to the cocking notch and the body/lugs, and ran several hundred times in front of the TV last night. Substantial improvement but worlds away from a Tikka or good 700 (retch).

The stock, despite being ordered in the heavier contour, was all-but-contacting the barrel at 65in-lb on the action screws.
IMG_2297.jpegIMG_2298.jpegIMG_2299.jpeg

Some judicious sandpaper and elbow grease provided clearance for a dead vole, but not a dead cat. I'll get more aggressive if accuracy testing dictates, but a piece of shop towel now slides all the way to the shank, while forearm is depressed.
IMG_2300.jpegIMG_2302.jpeg

Plan is: accuracy testing with factory Hornady ELD-M Friday. If it produces interesting groups (10 under 1.5"), I will send to Marty to be cut down to 18" and threaded with adapter to 5/8x24. While there, I'll further sand the stock and tune the trigger. Will report back with accuracy findings Friday.

-J

waspocrew

WKR
Emailed Stockys a while ago but no answer - does anyone know if there is still a Rokslide discount?

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Perfect, thanks! I have high hopes for the Howa mini. Should be an awesome rifle.
Prepare yourself for substantial disappointment with the action until you've put some work into it. Words cannot describe the grit and inconsistency of the bolt lift and bolt stroke.

-J

waspocrew

WKR
Prepare yourself for substantial disappointment with the action until you've put some work into it. Words cannot describe the grit and inconsistency of the bolt lift and bolt stroke.

-J
Maybe I should have said "I have appropriately high hopes given the price" haha. I'll be taking your advice to grease it up and cycle the bolt a ton.

• Haha
Reactions: NSI
They make a Timney for the Howa Mini? I know they make triggers for Howa 1500 but it won’t work for the Mini.
Their Howa 1500/Vanguard (611) works on the mini. You need to modify the 3 position safety for bolt lock a bit but it works just fine. Take a little off at a time and keep checking it.

Snuck out for some afternoon range time with my 22” sporter barrel Howa mini 6 ARC.

Sub MOA at 600 yards 1792 FPS with my 108 ELDM Varget handloads gives me a lot of confidence.

IMG_1524.png