.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Thegman

WKR
Follow up to the original autopsy after butchering last week.
First shot entered just inside the point of the onside shoulder (as per the field pic) and exited at the last rib.
Second shot entered a couple of inches back from the trailing edge of the onside shoulder and exited through the offside shoulder, just catching the edge of the scapula. Wound channels after a 10 day hang in the cooler were 2.5”+ in the muscle tissue. Wounds in rib cage with supporting bone structure were 1.5”.
This combo has to vie for the Most Efficient Killer prize. What was the approximate penetration of the 88s?

Thegman

WKR
If you guys want some good ol fudd lore and entertainment from some uneducated folks then you'll enjoy this video.

Watched this last night and my wife said the one guy is too squishy to take seriously. 🤣😆
I really have to admit, this is probably his best video ever. I was literally laughing out loud while watching it.

It was as funny as an episode of The Office with Dwight and Michael being interviewed about hunting with a 223.

65ec3fc0-424f-413c-b782-bf81ff1dfb6f.png

65ec3fc0-424f-413c-b782-bf81ff1dfb6f (1).png

Blurred

FNG
Well mainly due to ease of placement.

However, when you get to heavy for caliber bullets that fragment, there’s simply more bullet to fragment. A 77gr bullet in 30cal of like construction will penetrate about 6-8 inches at same velocity. A 77gr .224 bullet like the TMK penetrates 16-20 inches. People go the wrong way with “marginal” rounds- they think because it’s small that they need a super tough, deep penetrating bullet. All that does is create narrow wounds that take more time for the animal to succumb. A heavy, rapidly fragmenting bullet creates a much wider wound, while still having enough bullet to penetrate.
Hello Form. I've listened to your pod with the Exo guys for literally 10x. You confirm what I've always considered logical for so many years as a bowhunter. I live in Gunnison, Colorado...so legally I can't use less than 243 so I'm going to build a 6 creed. Anyway, for now, I've taken my Sig Cross 308 from heavy for caliber (178 eld-x) to a 125g tmk.....recoil feels about half and It's shooting sub moa @200 yards. I'll definitely use this setup on my mule deer tag...but have also considered it on my elk tag. The only inconsistency from what you suggest is that I'm not using a "heavy for caliber" round. I load the 125g tmk (and sometimes 125g sst) with 47.0 grains of IMR 4895 which gets me around 2900 FPS. I will not hunt with it beyond 500 yards. My question is, have you ever experimented with a similar setup? Do you think penetration is sufficient for such a "light for caliber" projectile when it comes to Elk? Thanks for everything you've done in this industry.

“Trying to hunt at them”
😄
That video is gold.

“The percentages” , yet literally talking out their backsides and using no data.

“77 TMK, I feel if your going to do this, it’s probably one of the worst match bullets”

Last edited: