.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
I seriously considered .22 Nosler, and really like the cartridge. It kinda went DOA though, somewhere between competition from .224 Valk, lack of sustained marketing push and partner/manufacturer programs from Nosler, some perceived limits on ability to use high BC bullets, and some guys claiming they couldn't really get it accurate. Now add in .22ARC and Hornady's machine behind it, and the Nosler's on the fast track to obscurity. Sadly. Because it's a killer cartridge.
Yeah that all makes plenty of sense, in my case the investment is small (maybe a couple hundred bucks into an AR barrel?) even if it does crap the bed eventually.

As of today there is bulk nosler brass on midway for about $1/piece, which the 250ct bag would probably be enough for me to hunt with the rest of my life assuming I will do most all of my plinking with the same lower with the 223 upper on it.

I do agree that the 22ARC will likely be better in just about every way imaginable.

brockel

WKR
I seriously considered .22 Nosler, and really like the cartridge. It kinda went DOA though, somewhere between competition from .224 Valk, lack of sustained marketing push and partner/manufacturer programs from Nosler, some perceived limits on ability to use high BC bullets, and some guys claiming they couldn't really get it accurate. Now add in .22ARC and Hornady's machine behind it, and the Nosler's on the fast track to obscurity. Sadly. Because it's a killer cartridge.
Nosler brass was the killer of the 22 nosler. To get the velocity out of it to make it worthwhile you destroyed brass. Have a 22 arc upper showing up first part of next week. Looking forward to playing with that

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
Nosler brass was the killer of the 22 nosler. To get the velocity out of it to make it worthwhile you destroyed brass. Have a 22 arc upper showing up first part of next week. Looking forward to playing with that
I will be playing with the ARC as well before long if I can find a barrel cheap somewhere, not that I’ve found anything wrong with the Nosler.

I love my AR’s for this kinda stuff. So easy to add another cartridge or setup to the stable. You can shoot something totally different with minimal investment.

Axlrod

WKR
Any thoughts on the Starline brass? I'm considering Starline for other calibers if it's decent.
For about the same price, you can get brand new Lake City brass from Midway. It is very good brass, and generally it has the largest case capacity.

Jimbee

WKR
For about the same price, you can get brand new Lake City brass from Midway. It is very good brass, and generally it has the largest case capacity.
Thanks. I have a fukton of 233 range brass. I was mostly wondering about their brass for other cartridges.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
Spent my Cabela's gift card from Father's day on Starline 223 brass. It was on sale so I thought it was probably better than my once fired Hornady or range pickup LC brass.

Attachments

• PXL_20240619_203310242.jpg
    PXL_20240619_203310242.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 47

ProAlpine

FNG
Excuse my ignorance, and laziness... I haven't read all 380 pages of this thread.

But if a .223 will suffice for large game, why wouldn't a 22-250 with a fast twist barrel be even better? More case capacity, more powder, higher velocities?

Cheers

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Excuse my ignorance, and laziness... I haven't read all 380 pages of this thread.

But if a .223 will suffice for large game, why wouldn't a 22-250 with a fast twist barrel be even better? More case capacity, more powder, higher velocities?

Cheers
It would, same as the 22 creedmore spiting out 88 grainer. You would likely need to rebarrel the 22-250 to get a usable twist rate.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Taudisio

WKR

Cheers
With the proper bullet selection, shot placement, and velocity necessary to ensure proper expansion, anything will work. I believe that is the gist of this thread.

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider

Cheers

Yes as above, but also worth noting that most people won't be shooting past the ~400 yds of effective range that the .223 gives, so the 22-250 is unnecessary recoil/noise/cost for those people.

9.3koolaid

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone using 5.56 cans on their .223's? I have a DA Nomad Ti and a RSS in the works. Wondering if it's worth it to have a dedicated can, especially given the short wait times.
Yes, ocl polo k. I think the 223 endcap makes a difference vs a 30 cal. Used to use my ab raptor 6 on my rss but the polo k is quieter even though smaller. Way different sound though.

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone using 5.56 cans on their .223's? I have a DA Nomad Ti and a RSS in the works. Wondering if it's worth it to have a dedicated can, especially given the short wait times.
Yes, as well, a TBAC .223 Ultra 7 (gen 1) and an ECCO machine recored SWR Specwar, both, to my ears, are quieter than the .30 cal TBAC Ultra 7s I have used on the .223.

Ajsomp

WKR
Classified Approved
Depends. There are 30 cal cans that have high performance on 556 and 30 cal. most 556 cans are oriented towards ARs. A lot of the new high performance cans (hux, cat, CGS etc) are designed for low back pressure high flow through properties associated with a gas operated system.

There are other suppressors which have ridiculous performance for bolt guns- but wouldn’t be the top choice for a semi auto hard use platform.

Check pewscience and use that as a base for a data based decision

Lawnboi

WKR
This weekend I will be using my rss for a prs match lol. With tmks in starline brass. All good thus far, getting around 1.1 - 1.3 inch 10 groups with 24 grains of n540. 2780 out of a 20" barrel
That should be fun! I have wanted to take my hunting 223 to a match but can’t bring myself to do it.

I’m moving to a 223 for next season… but mines a 26” 7 twist and I’m hoping to shoot 80-85.5 grain bullets.

CMCctx

FNG
I am 100% certain the wound channel and depth of penetration would be lethal for any animal on the North American continent.
@PNWGATOR I'm contemplating a Nilgai hunt on South Texas next year. I WANT to believe, but what says the hive mind? This is given they allow it with a 300WM minimum stipulation, but they allowed my parents to use a 7mmRM back in the 80s with two bulls on the ground for their efforts. Their consideration for diverting from the requirement was a little smaller of a gap than what I'm asking, but we'll see!

@PNWGATOR I'm contemplating a Nilgai hunt on South Texas next year. I WANT to believe, but what says the hive mind? This is given they allow it with a 300WM minimum stipulation, but they allowed my parents to use a 7mmRM back in the 80s with two bulls on the ground for their efforts. Their consideration for diverting from the requirement was a little smaller of a gap than what I'm asking, but we'll see!
Im pretty sure @Ryan Avery got someone onboard with them using a 6 UM but that’s still a far cry from a 223. I would think your request will be met with heavy resistance.