.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

BLJ

WKR
This would be nice, but I don't think it would happen. There are several threads on 223 loading, but they don't get the traffic and responses like this one does.
I started a 223 Loads thread in the reloading section. In post #7 I was directed to this thread for all my 223 questions.
It doesn’t seem like separating the different entities is wanted.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
.223 is perfect for deer, with a few important points though. ..you have to use a slow expansion bullet. keep shots under 150 yards. obviously others here will debate but believe me. my picks are barnes tsx as mentioned above or better winchester deer season...the bullet has to be slow expanding.
what not to do...dont use varmint rounds up close, no penetrate
dont use fmj or matchkings far out. theyll wound but not good enuf
do not try headshots they nearly never work on deer anatomy
ok let flames start .

Whenever you see ".223" in regards to hunting big game

ElPollo

WKR
.223 is perfect for deer, with a few important points though. ..you have to use a slow expansion bullet. keep shots under 150 yards. obviously others here will debate but believe me. my picks are barnes tsx as mentioned above or better winchester deer season...the bullet has to be slow expanding.
what not to do...dont use varmint rounds up close, no penetrate
dont use fmj or matchkings far out. theyll wound but not good enuf
do not try headshots they nearly never work on deer anatomy
ok let flames start .
Flame? No…. Maybe suggest you might read the thread and look at the wound channel pictures. The results might surprise you.

Maverick1

WKR
Hunters love to exaggerate how big/tough/hard to kill that animals are.
This is correct. The topic at hand was bears. In my experience:

Bears are quite easy to kill and die fairly quickly. The thing with shooting a bear is they often move around if hunting them over bait or an elk/deer carcass. Wait until the bear stops rocking back and forth and moving about. Over water they are easier to shoot. Once shot, tracking a bear can be a bit more challenging because the length and coarseness of their hair follicles/hide soaks up some blood (compared to any animal with a shorter hair follicle, less dense coat), the dense habitat in which they live, and the fact that they often run on top of down/dead logs, even after being shot. All that being said, they die quite quickly and are not really that "tough" as some would like to image.

Elk also die rather easily. The correct projectile placed in the vitals does the job quickly. They are not very "tough" as some would like to describe them and only appear to be so when shot in the wrong location. They cover quite a bit of ground with their long strides and can navigate difficult terrain quite easily.

This thread demonstrates that a properly placed, appropriate .223 round, or other sufficient projectile, will kill either one fairly easily.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Luckily instead of listening to your random uninformed opinion, there’s a thread with hundreds of posts with pictures that proves you are incorrect. Let me see if I can find it for you. Oh right, it’s the one you’re actually in right now…
Not really, he said he would not recommend it. I disagree with his implied reasoning, but I cannot disagree with him stating what he would or would not recommend, even if I disagree with the recommendation.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
So you cannot disagree with his recommendation not to recommend the .223, despite your recommendation to recommend the .223?
No, I cannot disagree with the fact that HE would not recommend it.

I can and do disagree with the recommendation. Seriously though, who am I to tell him he doesn't know his own mind, troll or not.

2y2c

FNG
I just had a chance to meet up with friends I haven’t seen in a while and told them about my hunting season. A deer and elk, one shot apiece, ran less than 50 yards and dead with the 223. I thought it would spark some interest in the little bullet but one of them says to me, “Hell I’ll loan you a 30 cal if you need one.” 😆 I just thought you guys would appreciate that.

His own mind doesn’t change reality though. If he believes the earth is flat, who am I to tell him his own mind? To me it doesn’t matter what he thinks, he’s objectively wrong.
No, I cannot disagree with the fact that HE would not recommend it.

I can and do disagree with the recommendation. Seriously though, who am I to tell him he doesn't know his own mind, troll or not.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
His own mind doesn’t change reality though. If he believes the earth is flat, who am I to tell him his own mind? To me it doesn’t matter what he thinks, he’s objectively wrong.
It was a lawyerly word game that ignored the obvious intended meaning by strictly sticking to the words. It was intended to be funny and make the point that a troll throwing out bait is not worth engaging.

Very clearly I failed. I will hang my head in shame for 3 milliseconds, then stop cluttering this thread.

IDVortex

WKR
It was a lawyerly word game that ignored the obvious intended meaning by strictly sticking to the words. It was intended to be funny and make the point that a troll throwing out bait is not worth engaging.

Very clearly I failed. I will hang my head in shame for 3 milliseconds, then stop cluttering this thread.
Since when are lawyers funny?