The best all around 243 bullet

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 1:10 twist on my Tikka .243 compact and the only round I can get a decent group with so far is the low recoil SST. I was told that the heavier bullets won’t stabilize with that twist so my next try will be 80 gr Barnes TTX and 90 gr ELDX

KenLee

WKR
Does he kill for a living?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Naah. In Upstate SC, you can roll 10 a yr including the optional buy in $5 per tag.
If you hunt in lower state SC, as grandpa was attached at the hip, a hunter can use the large # of tags for farmer/ landowner instead of for individual hunter.
I started taking my son hunting at 5 yrs old after he had mastered blasting the center of 8x11 copy paper and sharpie targets at 300 yards with good ole 100 gr Hornady Custom btsp.

KenLee

WKR
I have a 1:10 twist on my Tikka .243 compact and the only round I can get a decent group with so far is the low recoil SST. I was told that the heavier bullets won’t stabilize with that twist so my next try will be 80 gr Barnes TTX and 90 gr ELDX
Buy a box of cheap Winchester 100 gr Power Shoks.
I've never seen a popular name brand rifle that would not group them 1.5 " or better.

Tom-D

FNG
My 243 shoots 80gr nbt’s like a laser. Iv shot stacks of pigs with them and a few fallow does all have pretty much dropped on the spot except for a few pigs that were hit on the run. Never hear anyone on here say they use them though

BurtonGus

FNG
I’m shooting the 95gr SST but haven’t killed anything with them yet.
Anyone have experience with the ELD-X? Seems like most other calibers have quite the following with their respective ELD-X offerings but, I don’t hear too much about it in the 6mm cartridges?

OP
T
I’m shooting the 95gr SST but haven’t killed anything with them yet.
Anyone have experience with the ELD-X? Seems like most other calibers have quite the following with their respective ELD-X offerings but, I don’t hear too much about it in the 6mm cartridges?
No experience with the eldx but the sst is an awesome bullet at least for deer.

Fujicon

FNG
Lots of good bullet suggestions on this thread... maybe too many? I am unfamiliar with this cartridge, but inherited a 99 in 243 Win so thinking the 6.5 PRC will stay at home next fall and will give the 99 a try. As a 60s era rifle with a rather peculiar action, any specific bullet(s) known to work best with a 99?

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
No experience with the eldx but the sst is an awesome bullet at least for deer.
Before I started shooting fast twist barrels we killed a lot of deer with the 95 sst. They worked awesome, but the bc is pretty bad.

My tikka (1:10) gets nothing but 105gr bthp's. Dont think you are goona find that in factory ammo though.

For factory ammo at the ranges I hunt, I would figure out what hornady or federal 100gr sp shot the best and stock up when they go on sale.

If I wasnt a cheap ass, I'd give the 90gr eld's a look as well

BurtonGus

FNG
Any RokSliders out there have experience with the 95 grain Sierra TMK? I know that bullet gets a lot of love on this site.

I’ve had great luck with Nosler partitions, they have always exited for me and are very destructive at .243 speeds. They also have poor BCs for long range and are pricey, but they’re the only bullet I have enough kills with to have a strong opinion on. The two fusions I’ve shot into deer have performed very well, and the one NBT I’ve killed with was also very impressive.

Any of the non-bonded 100 grain soft points (core-lokt, inter-lock, gameking, PowerPoint, etc. seem to kill fast but not exit on many shots due to the impact speed. Most of my dad’s deer were probably killed with some version of bargain 100 grain bullet out of his fast-twist 6mm remington, and I’ve used them as well with good success.

My uncle has a slow twist 6mm remington he’s killed a pile of stuff with, and the Sierra 85 grain BTHP, and 85- 87 grain soft points, seem to absolutely blow up in the vitals, but rarely exit.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
The 95 grain nosler ballistic tip is one of the top .243 bullets out there...Have shot them in my daughters 6 creed and my wifes 243...They kill well!
This is the correct answer. Was the pet project of Gail Root Nosler’s top ballistician from back in the day.