2024 Cold Bore Challenge Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
Yessir, DTA is back from the shop and chucking brass again.

This challenge wasn't on my radar last year.

I just read the rules.

I shot 70 today and yearn for more. That once a day thing...I'm not built for it plus I have that NRA marksmanship test on 6/9...so I guess you could say:

1717205615262.png

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
My plan was to use my Rokstok ordered first day 12/21, crickets from UM so far. Going to be the factory Tikka stock.

Same. I’m going to put my rifle together for the CBC today. Was hoping my Rokstok would be here, but it looks like I’ll be using my Bravo.

Stumpy208

FNG
If you aren't very practiced at videoing yourself shoot, you might want to practice before you drive out to shoot.
I made the mistake of trying to video it myself and didn't bring anything to hold my phone or help stabilize it. So I didn't get my first shot on video haha. I decided might as well practice the video part if I'm able to get into the challenge later (if the spots haven't filled yet). By the third time I finally got my phone to not fall over from not having practiced this before.

So here is by self filmed Cold Bore Practice haha.

500 yards prone off my pack with my bino harness as a rear bag.

Here is the position.
20240603_184727.jpg

I had to jam my phone under/against that rock to get it to stay and not fall over from the wind.

Macintosh

WKR
If you aren't very practiced at videoing yourself shoot, you might want to practice before you drive out to shoot.
I made the mistake of trying to video it myself and didn't bring anything to hold my phone or help stabilize it. So I didn't get my first shot on video haha. I decided might as well practice the video part if I'm able to get into the challenge later (if the spots haven't filled yet). By the third time I finally got my phone to not fall over from not having practiced this before.

So here is by self filmed Cold Bore Practice haha.

500 yards prone off my pack with my bino harness as a rear bag.

Here is the position.

I had to jam my phone under/against that rock to get it to stay and not fall over from the wind.
yep, I was counting on this for additional shooting motivation, but instead it made me cob together a ghetto phone scope. Old PVC, a piece of wood, a hose clamp, couple spring clamps and some tape and all of a sudden I’m slo-mo-ing bullet trace 400 yards away. 😁

The only actual useful tip I have is that if your fudging it like me, the iphones with 3 lenses are a royal pain, so tape over the two of them so only one lens is exposed.

IMG_4480.jpeg

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
yep, I was counting on this for additional shooting motivation, but instead it made me cob together a ghetto phone scope. Old PVC, a piece of wood, a hose clamp, couple spring clamps and some tape and all of a sudden I’m slo-mo-ing bullet trace 400 yards away. 😁

The only actual useful tip I have is that if your fudging it like me, the iphones with 3 lenses are a royal pain, so tape over the two of them so only one lens is exposed.

View attachment 720253

I was having similar struggles with the multiple lenses. Check this thread out for an alternative to solution to electrical tape if you’re interested.

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/iphone-14-pro-which-camera-app-for-digiscoping.359681/

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 720253
8sqjox.jpg

Looks pretty good for a home built

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
I'm prepping now. Y'all are right about practicing the filming beforehand. This is the best I could do with the $20 job from Amazon and the 3 lens Iphone ProMax.

IMG_5479.jpg

@Bluumoon, thanks for waking me up on this one. I did some prep work yesterday and got out to around 580 here at the farm. I could go back but found a nice low spot to pound the t-post in. I put one of my "5 to go" Steel Challenge plates on a t-post. It should fly off or drop when hit.

IMG_5470.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5469.jpg
    IMG_5469.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
hey all, dropping this thread from Sticky Status. It was the unofficial QnA thread for a few weeks (thanks OP) while Ryan was bear hunting and Justin was out winning NRL (good job buddy) but now that Justin has the official QnA thread up here , please use that.

huntnful

WKR
Lots of talk about your little calibers but I see what you brought out when the money was on the table. 😜
Lmao! 1000 yards is a long ways if there's much wind! I'd shoot any gun at 600 yards. But knowing I wanted to attempt 1000, I knew exactly what I was grabbing lol

I found out this last week in practicing for the challenge that even when prone, you might end up in weird positions that cause you to have to manage the position of the butt pad in creative ways to prevent changing poi.

I was shooting across a canyon at about 600, where the target was higher than me and I was laying prone on a slight downhill slope. So my pack wasn't high enough and it caused my butt pad to be way too low on my shoulder, which also caused me to not be able to hold it as firmly into my shoulder as I typically do. I shot 3 times, missing high and left each time. I then realized the gun position on my shoulder, cheek weld, and lighter grip I had was causing the butt to recoil down more than usual.

I then put my rear bag on top of my pack to get more height, used my hand underneath the butt gripping my trigger hand shoulder to stabilize so I had the butt pad in the normal spot, and then hit several times easy peasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.