2023 Cold Bow Challenge Q&A Thread

JD Jones

WKR
New string settled in great on my V3. Set up my sight tape and been practicing out to 50. I think I’m gonna test myself at 60 for this with a broadhead I’m considering for the fall

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I got my Matthews Phase 4 in early March. First new bow I’ve had in 9 years. Replacing my Athens Convixtion. That was a sweet little bow, but time to move on

It was super busy about the time it showed up as we were trying to get the podcast relaunched and heal up from expo, so I just made a quick trip to the pro shop ( Downwind Archery, Idaho Falls) and Bud got it set up in less than 45 minutes & I was shooting decent holes.

fbe837371e62d7a31ad00fb63a975c26.jpg

8d5d33532f8f05fd33b97d7af5e7f3e6.jpg

41f89f8b51810a163dbddb93b4688688.jpg

55abfc5b45c709aabcad4e5fd85c9c1a.jpg

1f34618eb5b9593cfed53796f2b4d078.jpg

f01f08f33bdf508f6e6c0e8f47f0879a.jpg

897edcdd851b2bce1569dc4841bd0912.jpg

9e9f497702c3b8830421059385ba5bb0.jpg

Then I stepped up and shot a 30 arrow round. I’ve had a bad case of epicondylitis in my draw arm, so I had not shot since October. So this was really good shooting for me.

6359a17d80de63b9ba571f12a14b94aa.jpg

When I got home, I compared that to my first target from a few years back, and the Mathews definitely out shot the Athens by a small margin

dda7ae65b906d6a3bdf04054c9a28411.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
After I got home, the day job shipped me out to San Diego so I still wasn’t able to shoot much. But with cold bow looming, I really stepped it up this week.

Pretty sure the Matthews is shooting better than the Athens at distance too.

This is 60 yards with field points this morning. It was my best group of course (don’t wanna share the ugly ones) But I feel for my lack of shooting, the bow is doing just fine.

d803d3ae2f9cf20d8dc4218d3cebe93c.jpg

I’m 154 arrows launched for 2023

Now I just gotta decide this week if I’m gonna stick with the 55 yards I shot last year for cold bow, or change it up. I’ll be shooting the Sevr Broadhead’s again.

I’ve got a few days to decide, but really glad for Cold Bow, cause I know if it wasn’t scheduled, my new bow would still be sitting in its box.

Last edited:

Spence14

WKR
The CBC always hits at the perfect time of year for a little motivation. I'm right in the middle of tinkering, so I have to pick a setup and go with it! I've got arrows and broadheads scattered all over trying different things out. I don't know why I can't be one of those guys that finds something that works and sticks with it for the long haul... FOMO I guess.

TX_Diver

WKR
Yes. We don’t require time stamps. Most people shoot pretty much in real time (shoot/post same day) but as long as it’s five arrows/ five different days, no practice between arrows, you’re good.
So I can start today and be done by Saturday then post all my shots? Previous years if I remember right the first arrow as part of the challenge couldn't be shot until the challenge opened?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
So I can start today and be done by Saturday then post all my shots? Previous years if I remember right the first arrow as part of the challenge couldn't be shot until the challenge opened?
OK so this is what happens when we give an inch..the challenge turns into whatever works best for everyone, and loses its intensity, meaning and focus

Let's go back to that....

first arrow has to be on the day the challenge opens.

@Ucsdryder, cancel what I said above. At least do your first arrow in real time.

I just clarified it in the rules: " Please shoot in real time! Start a post in this thread (one post per shooter) on your first shooting day"

TX_Diver

WKR
OK so this is what happens when we give an inch..the challenge turns into whatever works best for everyone, and loses its intensity, meaning and focus

Let's go back to that....

first arrow has to be on the day the challenge opens.

@Ucsdryder, cancel what I said above. At least do your first arrow in real time.

I just clarified it in the rules: " Please shoot in real time! Start a post in this thread (one post per shooter) on your first shooting day"

I'm good w/ that. Thanks for clarifying!

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I have a question in regards to defining MER. Is it supposed to be what we feel comfortable shooting an animal at or is it a range that we think we can shoot consistently 5 days cold but still pushing ourselves?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a question in regards to defining MER. Is it supposed to be what we feel comfortable shooting an animal at or is it a range that we think we can shoot consistently 5 days cold but still pushing ourselves?
Are you saying for a extreme example that your comfortable shooting animals at 20 yards but think you can shoot out to sixty and be with in the challenge kill zone on all 5 shots?

In that case your MER would be 60 yards.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any issues with shooting the challenge from a different location each day (as long as the MER stays the same)?
Perfectly fine to change locations. You can shoot standing one day, sitting one day, and kneeling another if you wanted too.

Your Maximum effective range must stay the same.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Any issues with shooting the challenge from a different location each day (as long as the MER stays the same)?
that is a great way to do it, and even encouraged.

I've done it a few times and it adds a whole new level.

do it!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK I’ve been shooting every day since last week and I was hoping to do a 60 yard MER, but doing a mock CBC every morning and just counting my 1st arrow, I’m not ready for that. I’m dropping an arrow every few days so I think I’m gonna go with 55 like I have the last couple years and just really work on getting all five arrows in the vitals.
492726f1561fe00588311e5dacfa988b.jpg

This was this morning. That’s my set up for the challenge with my Sevr Broadhead

19f1d5f4d2adeed31cedcda7147c03a9.jpg

and these are my field points. Only about 48 more hours guys.

Who’s ready?

found a pretty severe fray on my cable last night, now i'm on the clock to get the new strings tuned up in time to participate. I've been trying 64 for the past 3 weeks, finally gave up on that, will be shooting 55 gapped for the challenge.

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I shoot year round, in fact, it's hard for me to find time to do the challenge anymore because of how much I shoot/compete.
I keep going back and forth on whether I want to participate. Finally getting all that stuff with my cables sorted out has me a bit behind the 8 ball and I’ve got Tennessee TAC starting next Friday.. don’t know that one arrow a day leading up to that is the best idea! I’d probably still be pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was going on if I hadn’t messaged you haha

I keep going back and forth on whether I want to participate. Finally getting all that stuff with my cables sorted out has me a bit behind the 8 ball and I’ve got Tennessee TAC starting next Friday.. don’t know that one arrow a day leading up to that is the best idea! I’d probably still be pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was going on if I hadn’t messaged you haha

I'm likely out. I'll be shooting Saturday and Sunday as it is. Depending on how that goes is if I'd take the time off to shoot an arrow a day or not.