2023 Cold Bow Challenge Q&A Thread

Got the new omnia dialed in, I'm ready! Probably going to try for 60yd this year versus the previous year 40yd.

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider
I'm going pin-gapped too.

I think one of the most helpful things I've done is spend a good bit of time shooting gapped distances to figure out if the results are better looking through the gap at the intended bullseye, picking a high spot to put a pin on, or picking a low spot to put a pin on.

Learned a lot for how my brain works!

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I read a fun article yesterday on Sitka’s website written by John Dudley on how to improve your groups and the benefits of shooting longer distances. He doesn’t say anything that most people in this group probably haven’t heard but it’s still a good read and I love supporting Dudley anyway I can. He’s one of the most genuine hunting personalities out there in my opinion.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I think one of the most helpful things I've done is spend a good bit of time shooting gapped distances to figure out if the results are better looking through the gap at the intended bullseye, picking a high spot to put a pin on, or picking a low spot to put a pin on.

Tell us more. What seems to be working?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I read a fun article yesterday on Sitka’s website written by John Dudley on how to improve your groups and the benefits of shooting longer distances. He doesn’t say anything that most people in this group probably haven’t heard but it’s still a good read and I love supporting Dudley anyway I can. He’s one of the most genuine hunting personalities out there in my opinion.

thanks! I’m all over that

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just changed from my garmin xero sight back to the black gold slider since it's likely Utah is going to make the garmin illegal for archery season.

It's going to be a rough next couple days getting used to the slider sight picture. Guess we'll see how it effects my shooting for the challenge

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

bulls eye focus for me. estimating hold over/under is a complete disaster when I try it. I can shoot better groups dialed at 90 than I can holding over with my 60 pin at 64.

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider
Tell us more. What seems to be working?
X1 and X2 distances I do best holding the pin high

X3 through X8 I do best looking through the gap

X8 and X9 I like holding the pin low.

The caveat is that I do not shoot well if any of the pin high/low is off of the target. So those small fox/bobcat/turkey 3D targets are less comfortable at 32 than the elk targets are at 58.

If I do find that I both the high and low pins are within the 10 ring on whatever the 3D target is, then I don't put much thought into it.

The HARDEST shot for me is 62-65 because the hold with my old Reckoning was mostly off the target and there's no 70 yard pin to reference. I am pretty sure I did this shot the last two years for CBC. With the gained 22fps from this Omnia it isn't as difficult so I think I am going to long bomb at 100 this year.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
X1 and X2 distances I do best holding the pin high

X3 through X8 I do best looking through the gap

X8 and X9 I like holding the pin low.

The caveat is that I do not shoot well if any of the pin high/low is off of the target. So those small fox/bobcat/turkey 3D targets are less comfortable at 32 than the elk targets are at 58.

If I do find that I both the high and low pins are within the 10 ring on whatever the 3D target is, then I don't put much thought into it.

The HARDEST shot for me is 62-65 because the hold with my old Reckoning was mostly off the target and there's no 70 yard pin to reference. I am pretty sure I did this shot the last two years for CBC. With the gained 22fps from this Omnia it isn't as difficult so I think I am going to long bomb at 100 this year.
thanks, and can't wait to see the omnia in action

I’m looking forward to this as well! I’ve got @150 shots through since new strings and switched from Easton Axis to Victory RIP TKOs. Haven’t gotten everything dialed 100% yet but I’m gonna roll with it!

KBC

WKR
I'm going to a 3D shoot on Sunday put on by some friends that regularly come out to my range's shoots to help support them so I might be out this year. If there's still room after work on Monday I'll join in. I might still do it on my own even if it's full since it's a lot of fun. I'll go 70 again this year since I missed at least one out of the 5 last year even though I don't really want to shoot past 50 at an animal.

I find it's really hard to pick an MER. In perfect conditions I'm willing to shoot much farther at an animal than average conditions.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to a 3D shoot on Sunday put on by some friends that regularly come out to my range's shoots to help support them so I might be out this year. If there's still room after work on Monday I'll join in. I might still do it on my own even if it's full since it's a lot of fun. I'll go 70 again this year since I missed at least one out of the 5 last year even though I don't really want to shoot past 50 at an animal.

I find it's really hard to pick an MER. In perfect conditions I'm willing to shoot much farther at an animal than average conditions.

I can’t imagine there won’t be room. I don’t even think it filled last year. You should be fine man.

And when picking an MER, it’s your “ maximum” So that means some days you may choose to pass the shot if conditions aren’t right. Make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KBC
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
e53c4d02cca55cb733979fb7128dc28f.jpg

My last CBC shot before the CBC begins tomorrow. 55 yards it is.

@sndmn11. What time is first light there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fowl Play

WKR
Love the idea for this challenge. Woefully unprepared but great forcing function to get ready.

More important question in how I'm supposed to get to 300 posts by this weekend :p