2023 Cold Bow Challenge Q&A Thread

kcm2

WKR
To hell with the prizes. I won. My form got much better. My groups at 50 yards have gone from 3 shots in about 8 inches to half that. My ability to hold my bow waiting for the shot doubled. Big victory. I can afford new broadheads. I can't afford to miss opportunities in the field because you don't get that many.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for running this again Robby! Email inbound
Dover my man! Glad to see you land the SKRE. Not sure if you’ve had it before but we’d love to hear your thoughts once you get some time in it. I’ve ran their summer line (Alpine) and the Hardscrabbles. Been happy, especially when I consider the price.

Anyway, got your email and we’ll get you hooked up. @realunlucky I’l get you in on the email too.

cjdewese

WKR
Looking forward to trying out some Iron Will broadheads this year. Will be the highest quality piece of gear I own so far as a new hunter. Been shooting Exodus for the cost but excited to have a lifetime of quality heads moving forward.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
1685729130939-png.560041

Numbers arent matching on the BH/FP in the General section, I will dive into that deeper one day and see what I did there.
Hey man, thanks for doing this!

So if I just use the averages, it looks like

67% success at MER for BH

and

74% success at MER for FP

so about a 7% difference in accuracy in my mind. Sounds about right by my experience. and this is with the SEVR being the #1 choice in the challenge. If no expandables allowed, that difference would be greater.

CorbLand

WKR
Hey man, thanks for doing this!

So if I just use the averages, it looks like

67% success at MER for BH

and

74% success at MER for FP

so about a 7% difference in accuracy in my mind. Sounds about right by my experience. and this is with the SEVR being the #1 choice in the challenge. If no expandables allowed, that difference would be greater.
I get 66% for BH but yes, you are correct.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Who still shooting now that the challenge is closed?

I’ve been keeping it up but it’s not truly cold bow, it’s first arrow of the day because I shoot more arrows after my first, and I’ve been about 84%, up from 67% in the live challenge.

Definitely easier when no pressure, and not having your form drop off with lack of practice (arrow volume)

CorbLand

WKR

I’ve been keeping it up but it’s not truly cold bow, it’s first arrow of the day because I shoot more arrows after my first, and I’ve been about 84%, up from 67% in the live challenge.

Definitely easier when no pressure, and not having your form drop off with lack of practice (arrow volume)
B4C5A7DC-914F-4317-8B6B-95EB2ECB9D3F.jpeg
I am. This is at 47. Looks like it’s time to start stretching it out to 55-65.

i'm shooting a whole bunch more. swapped out my peep sight for a hamskea raptor, started playing around with exodus swept blades in addition to the full blades.

it's nice, has a hair bigger view than the same size hooded peep I was using before, which is exactly what I was hoping for - now have perfect alignment with the spot hogg MRT in all lighting conditions. the serving grooves in the raptor are also plenty deep enough for the full, 4-leg gillingham peep tie on, that's a big deal to me after a moving peep cost me 2 bulls last year. Glare seems to be reduced, but i need to do more high-glare shooting to say for sure. all in all, there are no drawbacks to it, but also no guarantees it tightens your groups.

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider

I have been shooting but not everyday like I would like. Got an eye injury from work last week which made shooting my bow pretty difficult. Eye is feeling better this week so I plan on shooting some different shots more often.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have been shooting but not everyday like I would like. Got an eye injury from work last week which made shooting my bow pretty difficult. Eye is feeling better this week so I plan on shooting some different shots more often.
eye injuries terrify me! Hope you heal quickly and are flinging soon

Been shooting some local 3d shoots on the weekends with my kids which has been a lot of fun and started playing around with a long bow. The simplicity of a trad bow is something. Much more rewarding making hits at 20 yards with that bow than sending bombs at 70 yards. Might get comfortable enough to hunt with it this fall and plan on shooting compound and trad in next years challenge.