2023 Cold Bow Challenge Q&A Thread

cjdewese

WKR
Been shooting at my "MER" and further with much better results than in the CBC.

There are still some bad habits that I am trying to work through.

We are cleaning up our backyard 3D course this weekend and looking forward to starting to shoot/walk that each evening.

TX_Diver

WKR
I’m shooting more. One of the things Tom Clum suggested was to score my first 10 arrows of the day.

Puts some pressure on it and provides a metric to track also.

With the recurve I was doing 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 2x. Need to start that again and see how it goes. Playing with the new bow now though and this gives me another excuse to post a pic 😂
A67F1B72-2FE2-4BC5-B5C3-062C06FDF318.jpeg

lak2004

WKR
I've been too dang focused on rifle. Making bullets and bedding a stock for a build. Need to get back after the bow but I didn't draw an archery tag....yet

CorbLand

WKR
I edited my post with the stats, as I fixed a couple errors and changed from the looking at the median to the mode as I think that will be better data overall.

Mode is the most common number.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I want to create a little of that imaginary – real Internet pressure and announce that tomorrow is my 3rd day on a true cold bow at 60 yards. After hitting about 82% success at 55 yards over a couple of weeks I decided to move out to 60. What the heck, eh?

So far I’m in the vital with first two and one was in a stiff wind. So we’ll see what tomorrow brings.

OK, I want to create a little of that imaginary – real Internet pressure and announce that tomorrow is my 3rd day on a true cold bow at 60 yards. After hitting about 82% success at 55 yards over a couple of weeks I decided to move out to 60. What the heck, eh?

So far I’m in the vital with first two and one was in a stiff wind. So we’ll see what tomorrow brings.
Don't f'n choke... it's the biggest buck you've ever shot at with your bow, and he's staring a hole in that Denning shaped bush. Probably gonna bug out in five seconds or less.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
image.jpg

Geez.

Wind. So 3/5 at 60. Same as CBC finish at 55yds but my misses were worse at 60.

Back to the firing line.

I was the lucky recipient of the Black Ovis custom arrows. After contacting Robby, I went ahead and placed my order through the Blackovis Arrow ID program on their website. Process was pretty simple and had plenty of options. I went with my standard Gold Tip Pro Hunter 300 spine, Blazer vanes at right helical and a short wrap for visibility. Arrows arrived yesterday and I am impressed. They look great and should be a perfect set up for my hunting arrows this year. Thanks to the sponsors and mods that put this challenge on.

Attachments

• IMG_4294.jpeg
    IMG_4294.jpeg
    351.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4295.jpeg
    IMG_4295.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4296.jpeg
    IMG_4296.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 15
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I was the lucky recipient of the Black Ovis custom arrows. After contacting Robby, I went ahead and placed my order through the Blackovis Arrow ID program on their website. Process was pretty simple and had plenty of options. I went with my standard Gold Tip Pro Hunter 300 spine, Blazer vanes at right helical and a short wrap for visibility. Arrows arrived yesterday and I am impressed. They look great and should be a perfect set up for my hunting arrows this year. Thanks to the sponsors and mods that put this challenge on.
Hey good to know it went smooth. Thanks for posting up. Helps guys if they have any questoins if a members tried the products, not just statff

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
View attachment 566095

Geez.

Wind. So 3/5 at 60. Same as CBC finish at 55yds but my misses were worse at 60.

Back to the firing line.
OK, a final update after the post above.

Kept shooting, worked with @Bill V at Ironwill. Switched to his 5mm Axis (tougher arrow than the GT micros I was shooting) but worked on some bare shaft tunin. It did clean up my groups.

For the cold bow, I officially ended at 3/5 at 55 yards but today I just put my 5th arrow, all shot true Cold Bow, in the vitals. But now I am 5/5 at 60 yards
IMG_5461.jpeg
I didn’t photograph all five arrows so you guys just got a trust me. That’s the last arrow above, low vitals, it did cut the line of the vitals.

So I definitely improved over the summer.
( @Trumpkin The Dwarf not bragging, lol)

IMG_5463.jpeg
Archery season opens next week. Ending the summer at 1676 arrows fired. Not sure if that’s a good thing or not lol

Is anybody else running another true cold bow? If not cold bow, what about first arrow of the day? Any improvements?

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
OK, a final update after the post above.

Kept shooting, worked with @Bill V at Ironwill. Switched to his 5mm Axis (tougher arrow than the GT micros I was shooting) but worked on some bare shaft tunin. It did clean up my groups.

For the cold bow, I officially ended at 3/5 at 55 yards but today I just put my 5th arrow, all shot true Cold Bow, in the vitals. But now I am 5/5 at 60 yards
View attachment 592054
I didn’t photograph all five arrows so you guys just got a trust me. That’s the last arrow above, low vitals, it did cut the line of the vitals.

So I definitely improved over the summer.
( @Trumpkin The Dwarf not bragging, lol)

View attachment 592059
Archery season opens next week. Ending the summer at 1676 arrows fired. Not sure if that’s a good thing or not lol

Is anybody else running another true cold bow? If not cold bow, what about first arrow of the day? Any improvements?
Id say how quickly I have realized my form on " good days " vs "bad days" of shooting. Example: had one morning, woke up feeling real good, got the dog on a walk , had coffee. Went and shot 5 arrow group at 40. One of my better groups. Went back to 60. Solid for me considering I havnt shot an animal over 40 in my life. I went and shot at 80 which I dont do often. My arrow was low but it was dead center.
Today: I got up a little slow. skipped the walk and morning routine. Got outside and I should of let down before I sent the arrow. My form from the moment I drew back wasn't right. Instead I tried to fight the bubble, moving around, and punched my release to just be done with it. Decided to come back to this cold start thread and try again this afternoon.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Id say how quickly I have realized my form on " good days " vs "bad days" of shooting. Example: had one morning, woke up feeling real good, got the dog on a walk , had coffee. Went and shot 5 arrow group at 40. One of my better groups. Went back to 60. Solid for me considering I havnt shot an animal over 40 in my life. I went and shot at 80 which I dont do often. My arrow was low but it was dead center.
Today: I got up a little slow. skipped the walk and morning routine. Got outside and I should of let down before I sent the arrow. My form from the moment I drew back wasn't right. Instead I tried to fight the bubble, moving around, and punched my release to just be done with it. Decided to come back to this cold start thread and try again this afternoon.
Yip, everyday is different sometimes. Aron says that “letting down is a skill”. I hate that! But he’s right

@Trumpkin The Dwarf was posting on here a few years ago about how with Trad, a shooter‘s form can break down with just a day or two off. He’s right (and is the heart of this challenge), but for me and lots of guys I’m watching, I think it applies to compounds nearly as much.