2020 Cold Bow Challenge Question/Comment Thread

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Next year I think I'm going to change the each shot but still at the MER. Would this be within the rules? I think changing the angle and elevation would really help me truly know where I am in my shooting.
@robby denning did this on his fifth shot if you seen his video.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I finished... with a shameful shot. Trad bows are just not meant to be shot so infrequently.
way to be honest. Thanks for coming out

So what do you do on a hunt, or especially a backcountry hunt, when you can't shoot daily?

I take a target of some sort on all my hunts, but I still find my shooting skill deteriorating over a long hunt compared to when I'm home shooting 12-24 hours per day.

Fatcamp

WKR
This is true. From last year...

a594a9560701348750aea5e83285d597.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That'll take a couple.

So what do you do on a hunt, or especially a backcountry hunt, when you can't shoot daily?

I take a target of some sort on all my hunts, but I still find my shooting skill deteriorating over a long hunt compared to when I'm home shooting 12-24 hours per day.
I carry two arrows with a VPA small game thumper on the tip. I shoot dirt clods, rotten stumps, and squirrels when they present a target. I can skip a day here and there without issue, but I need to follow up with a high volume practice session the next day. My biggest challenge is maintaining the feeling of a proper release and follow through.

Reactions: ZDR
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I carry two arrows with a VPA small game thumper on the tip. I shoot dirt clods, rotten stumps, and squirrels when they present a target. I can skip a day here and there without issue, but I need to follow up with a high volume practice session the next day. My biggest challenge is maintaining the feeling of a proper release and follow through.
understood. us compound guys are pretty spoiled.

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
Day three in the books. Loving this challenge.

Grouse and stumps. I carry way more arrows with a stick than a compound. When your arrow isn't going 300 fps and doesn't cost $50 lots of stuff can become a target.

@robby denning you just really need to get a single string to play with, warning they get addictive.

@Muleyslayer1 said it best, @robby denning and the team here make this forum pretty awesome. Especially with social issues we have these days. I can say too, even before this challenge started it made me a better hunter. I’ve never shot my broadheads this early in the year this much. Also never shot broadheads through paper either. As a result, my arrows are flying awesome and impacting perfectly with field tips. I have way more confidence with those set ups and that should go a long way going into this fall.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@Muleyslayer1 said it best, @robby denning and the team here make this forum pretty awesome. Especially with social issues we have these days. I can say too, even before this challenge started it made me a better hunter. I’ve never shot my broadheads this early in the year this much. Also never shot broadheads through paper either. As a result, my arrows are flying awesome and impacting perfectly with field tips. I have way more confidence with those set ups and that should go a long way going into this fall.

Good to hear bro! And just think how much time you have to tinker between now and hunting season. It’s always a good feeling to get started early. Thanks for coming out and for the support.