2020 Cold Bow Challenge Question/Comment Thread

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I posted my day 5 video. I won't be winning any accuracy awards but I think I have the most scenic range. Also, I noticed my field points are more accurate than my broadheads. Need more tuning and practice.

loved the video!!!!!!! Great angle.

big44a4

WKR
Thanks to rokslide & sponsors who put on this challenge as well as everyone participating. It was a great reminder to where my shooting is at the moment and that I need to put in the work before the season.

After completing the challenge I felt my bow was off so did a quick bare shaft tune and made some adjustments (bow was previously only paper tuned).

Final bare shaft at 20 yards.
ad84d7fbe9c665d3b266409088f2df4b.jpg

Same fixed broadhead at MER that I shot for the challenge.
81d6a5ff74c28b06329f2686a9ceb67e.jpg

And 2 field points to confirm POI close to broadhead and need to adjust sight left. Not the same as cold bow shooting, but reminded me of some extra steps I should take to check my equipment before the season. Shooting a fixed broadhead is a quick reality check. Looking forward to doing a cold bow update when the season is closer.

ea6f133d1433f57e5ce39bd0917189c2.jpg

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to rokslide & sponsors who put on this challenge as well as everyone participating. It was a great reminder to where my shooting is at the moment and that I need to put in the work before the season.

After completing the challenge I felt my bow was off so did a quick bare shaft tune and made some adjustments (bow was previously only paper tuned).

Final bare shaft at 20 yards.
ad84d7fbe9c665d3b266409088f2df4b.jpg

Same fixed broadhead at MER that I shot for the challenge.
81d6a5ff74c28b06329f2686a9ceb67e.jpg

And 2 field points to confirm POI close to broadhead and need to adjust sight left. Not the same as cold bow shooting, but reminded me of some extra steps I should take to check my equipment before the season. Shooting a fixed broadhead is a quick reality check. Looking forward to doing a cold bow update when the season is closer.

ea6f133d1433f57e5ce39bd0917189c2.jpg

Thanks for posting that up. That’s the spirit of the challenge right there, to get us to take a realistic look of our capabilities and equipment. Plus we start shooting earlier. This is the first challenge we’ve had where I didn’t see somebody posting “can we wait and start this in July when I’m ready?“ ha ha ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well I was thinking about calling a snow day with a foot on the ground and still coming down, but Robby told me to "suck it up!". I had a lot of excuses why I shouldn't shoot today at 100 yards in blowing snow, but we don't stay inside on a hunt in these conditions and why miss out on a learning experience. It was pretty fun actually. I'll post the results to the Cold Bow Challenge thread soon and you can see a video of this on our Instagram story @ironwilloutfitters.

target in snow.jpg

big44a4

WKR
Well I was thinking about calling a snow day with a foot on the ground and still coming down, but Robby told me to "suck it up!". I had a lot of excuses why I shouldn't shoot today at 100 yards in blowing snow, but we don't stay inside on a hunt in these conditions and why miss out on a learning experience. It was pretty fun actually. I'll post the results to the Cold Bow Challenge thread soon and you can see a video of this on our Instagram story @ironwilloutfitters.

View attachment 172314

Just saw the video and damn solid shot there Bill! Looks like you are already ready for the hunt.

TX_Diver

WKR

View attachment 172314
I'm not sure I'd want to make the walk to pull that arrow :ROFLMAO:

Just finished up my cold bow challenge today. Went about how I thought it would. 2/3-5 in the kill zone roughly. I followed up my 5 shot with a couple others and hit the same spot, so I need to double check 3rd axis on my site or practice more with my face mask (may have altered the shot obviously). I definitely need to practice with my compound more if I plan to use it on a pronghorn hunt this fall, I’ve almost entirely been practicing with the recurve.
As far as the recurve goes this is what I learned. First two shots I didn’t warm myself up nor go through the process in my head a couple times before the shot. Last three shots I did those and the result was roughly the same. Also, I just finished tuning my day six arrows and realized how well they flew with broadheads through the wind...so I chose them for the challenge. Well I never really shot them past 20 yards and they are roughly 140 grains heavier than my other arrows, possibly contributing to the cold shot. Either way it taught me a lot!

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just saw the video and damn solid shot there Bill! Looks like you are already ready for the hunt.

Thanks! For me the key to making good cold bow shots at long range is to shoot daily so my form is consistent. A day off is fine but a week off seems to set me back. A lot of days I'll just shoot a few arrows, one per target at long range with broadheads. I realize I'm fortunate and not everyone has access to do this, but I really think it helps in making one good shot.

Wrapped up my 5th shot today, what a great challenge! Practicing the last couple months at 60-80 yards has really helped my confidence at 50. Hoping to be comfortable out to 60 by the time deer season rolls around. Huge thanks to Robby, the rest of the Rokslide crew, and all the sponsors for putting this on!🤘🏻

Beendare

WKR
I finished... with a shameful shot. Trad bows are just not meant to be shot so infrequently.

Aint that the truth. You have to stay tuned up with a stick. Guys can pick up a compound after not shooting for a month and be money.... not so with a stickbow.

Then, A stickbow cold shot is a lot harder for me vs a compound, embarrassingly so!

___

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just finished up with my 5th day. I posted this on my actual shoot but thought I’d throw it up here as well.
Final thoughts:
1. Need to make sure my bow is in tune from last season.
2. Given my current abilities I’d say I need to move my MER in 10-20 yards to be where I want to be.
3. I’m adopting this method into my practice routine moving forward. Every day from here on out I will start my shooting with this shot to reinforce where I am as an archer.
Thanks to all the sponsors and Rokslide for putting this on!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

View attachment 172314

I went and checked it out (post # 211 for those of you that want to see it) That is some fine shooting Bill today and the other two days. Glad you sucked it up buddy.

If anyone wants us to take a look at your group, make sure you put up your post number.

Y'all should consider running a summer version. Maybe just 3 day series with the only prize being bragging rights, the catch being your MER has to increase by at least 10 yards or something.

Even if they don’t I think I’ll do it just to test myself after shooting more all summer hopefully tighten up my shots

badshot

Lil-Rokslider
Just wrapped up my day 5, it really hit home how different it is to make every shot count vs just flinging a dozen at the block and having most group well. The issue is the word "most". Thank you to everyone that was a part of this, it made it fun. It also opened my eyes with how good some of you guys are, that feeling I get taking a shot at the 70yd target and being happy I am on the 36x36 target then I see Bill hitting in the snow at 100. Humbling to say the least.

chasewild

WKR
Just wrapped up my day 5, it really hit home how different it is to make every shot count vs just flinging a dozen at the block and having most group well. The issue is the word "most". Thank you to everyone that was a part of this, it made it fun. It also opened my eyes with how good some of you guys are, that feeling I get taking a shot at the 70yd target and being happy I am on the 36x36 target then I see Bill hitting in the snow at 100. Humbling to say the least.

Feel the same way -- humbling and hungry I guess are the best way to describe it. Finished up day 5 and immediately messaged some of the guys on here asking some questions about their practice and plateau-killers. Looking forward to putting in the work this spring and summer.