Wyoming Arms Suppressors

BjornF16

WKR
A 5” real can. A TBAC Ultra 5 is the smallest that I would shoot without ear pro hunting.
Sorry if I’m hijacking Chris's thread…

I have an Omega 300 at 6.5”/15 oz. I use it when I can (right now 22 CM).

I’m really looking to rationalize cost in reducing weight. My goal is 8 oz. What are my hearing safe options?

Raptor AB 6 with reflex?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

I’m really looking to rationalize cost in reducing weight. My goal is 8 oz. What are my hearing safe options?

Raptor AB 6 with reflex?

That’s a good one.

Tod osier

WKR
I’m not actually. For your use you could just get a blast deflector and save a bunch or time and money- you still need ear pro.

Understanding what a single gunshot permanently does to hearing, and understanding what suppressors do, and with a massive amount of rounds on a lot of suppressors it’s just not doing what most want. What Chris said he wanted it for is realistic, what the VAST majority are convincing themselves that it does is not. People are trying to tell themselves (I’m getting asked) that “it’s ok for one or two shots”- no it’s not.

Logically why not add 2 inches, or take 2 inches off of a barrel, and actually not have permanent hearing damage? That’s all.

I'm seeing your perspective better and I see your reason for not adding the nuance to the discussion as far as what is good enough for a couple shots. Of course there is no magic line between safe and unsafe, quantity of shots certainly plays in as well as the decibels. As far as people loosing their mind over ounces, that is a common thread here and I'm certainly guilty of it all the time.

As an aside, related to this thread I did some reading on the efficacy of hearing pro (muffs and plugs) and see that they don't do nearly what I thought they did as far as protection in typical use. I'm glad I've always "double bagged" with muffs and plugs.

I'm seeing your perspective better and I see your reason for not adding the nuance to the discussion as far as what is good enough for a couple shots. Of course there is no magic line between safe and unsafe, quantity of shots certainly plays in as well as the decibels. As far as people loosing their mind over ounces, that is a common thread here and I'm certainly guilty of it all the time.

As an aside, related to this thread I did some reading on the efficacy of hearing pro (muffs and plugs) and see that they don't do nearly what I thought they did as far as protection in typical use. I'm glad I've always "double bagged" with muffs and plugs.
Can you share the cliff notes of the hearing pro analysis from that article?

Tod osier

WKR
Can you share the cliff notes of the hearing pro analysis from that article?

I'm no expert in that I only scanned a few articles and read a single one kinda in depth, but the actual protection of muffs and plugs is not nearly as good in actual use as the NIOSH ratings suggest due to difficulty of using them perfectly in the field.

JGRaider

WKR
Thanks for the info Tod, and I'm not questioning your findings at all, but I'm wondering how difficult is it really to use ear plugs properly?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Yes sir. And the ear pro thing is why I don’t like muzzle brakes at all.

Thanks for the info Tod, and I'm not questioning your findings at all, but I'm wondering how difficult is it really to use ear plugs properly?

Actually pretty difficult if what I have seen in my career is indicative of the population as a whole. For example, in order to properly use a foam earplug, you are supposed to roll it between your fingers to compress it, reach behind your head with your off hand, grasp the top of your ear and pull up and slightly away from your head to open up your ear canal. Then place the foamy into the canal and keep your finger against it until it is fully expanded. Then do the same for the other ear.
I cannot tell you how many times I have watched people put them in sideways to "close up" the ear, or just stuff them in. In those cases they are only 1/2 to 1/3 as effective as their rating.

Same with muffs. They should be adjusted such that the entire pad is contacting your head. Additionally, the pads should be replaced regularly as the foam and rubber in them lose elasticity which allows for gaps, and thereby reduces efficacy.

Reactions: wyo

ezwy

FNG

Raptor AB 6 with reflex?
Banish backcountry? I’d like to see some reviews. People have a lot good to say about thunder beast ultras.

ezwy

FNG
I’m not actually. For your use you could just get a blast deflector and save a bunch or time and money- you still need ear pro.

Understanding what a single gunshot permanently does to hearing, and understanding what suppressors do, and with a massive amount of rounds on a lot of suppressors it’s just not doing what most want. What Chris said he wanted it for is realistic, what the VAST majority are convincing themselves that it does is not. People are trying to tell themselves (I’m getting asked) that “it’s ok for one or two shots”- no it’s not.

Logically why not add 2 inches, or take 2 inches off of a barrel, and actually not have permanent hearing damage? That’s all.
Just curious on the blast deflectors. Have you been around them? How much difference do they make?

CBar

FNG
Hopping back into this thread now that I finally have my 4" Titanium WA suppressor (after a 9 month wait...so much for 90 days). It's mounted on a Savage Ultralight 280ai. This was my gift to myself for drawing a sheep tag last Spring.

First time out on in the mountains...and I have some interesting results. Shot 140gr Nosler BT and it lowered the POI by about 1 MOA. Shot the 160gr Nosler Partition Trophy Grade and it raised the POI by about 1 MOA + 1 MOA Right. I got a C in high school physics, but I'm sure someone out there knows why that happened.

Initial impression - I liked it. And I have zero experience with suppressors. Similar to whats been discussed here, I wanted SOME performance in an very short very light suppressor. Well...some performance is what we got. Noticeable muzzle blast reduction. Definite recoil reduction, and a small sound suppression.

Honestly, I wish I got the 5" one initially. But I'm new to all this and was lured in by the size and weight. My instinct says I'd happily gain the extra inch and ounce for more recoil reduction and suppression.
Hope this is helpful!

Ral8000

FNG
Hopping back into this thread now that I finally have my 4" Titanium WA suppressor (after a 9 month wait...so much for 90 days). It's mounted on a Savage Ultralight 280ai. This was my gift to myself for drawing a sheep tag last Spring.

First time out on in the mountains...and I have some interesting results. Shot 140gr Nosler BT and it lowered the POI by about 1 MOA. Shot the 160gr Nosler Partition Trophy Grade and it raised the POI by about 1 MOA + 1 MOA Right. I got a C in high school physics, but I'm sure someone out there knows why that happened.

Initial impression - I liked it. And I have zero experience with suppressors. Similar to whats been discussed here, I wanted SOME performance in an very short very light suppressor. Well...some performance is what we got. Noticeable muzzle blast reduction. Definite recoil reduction, and a small sound suppression.

Honestly, I wish I got the 5" one initially. But I'm new to all this and was lured in by the size and weight. My instinct says I'd happily gain the extra inch and ounce for more recoil reduction and suppression.
Hope this is helpful!
Thanks for the review! Anyone else have one of these?

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
ChrisAU, how do you like the supressor?

Still really like it for what it is. It’s much quieter than a muzzle brake, still reduces recoil, and eliminates all blast. You can see in the pic where it was used just this past Saturday.

IMG_6665.jpeg

Reactions: wyo