Wyoming Arms Suppressors

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Chris, any POI impact change from adding the suppressor?

It was 0.2 mils high and 0.1 mils left, but it was also a windy day when I re-zeroed which usually doesn't satisfy me. Made that adjustment and didn't worry about it though as I knew all shots the rest of this season would be under 100 yards. Will verify zero on a less windy day soon.

BjornF16

WKR
Do you foresee any issue running a range session of 40-50 rounds with this can?

Any second thoughts on not going with the 5" version?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Regardless of what suppressor I use on the range, I'm using ear pro.

It's only when I'm hunting that I don't wear ear pro...with or without suppressor.

The WYO Arms 4” is not in anyway hearing safe. I’m not trying to crap on Chris’s thread or Wyo Arms with this, but there is quite a bit getting lost here- the 4” is not hearing safe. Functionally it is a blast diverter that tones down the noise. People that are thinking this is a great way to get a suppressor for minimal weight and length are not understanding what they are. Yes, I have heard them.

I have been critical of the TBAC Ultra 5 here, or people take it that way- as it is LOUD for a suppressor- but it is a suppressor. The WA 4” is noticeable louder. It is not a replacement for ear pro even for hunting- shoot that thing from the prone and you are getting hearing damage. Will you experience ringing and pain- maybe, maybe not depending on how your hearing is to begin with. BUT, you are receiving damage… especially on something with 60gr of powder.

If someone wants a device that makes it where they will probably be able to hear someone talk immediately after shooting in an emergency, and do not care about the fact that there has been damage to hearing done, sure. Like most mini cans it does that-reduces muzzle blast and concussion a bit. However, if they want a suppressor that allows them to fire a couple of shots hunting without ear pro and it cause no damage- no, they are not consistently going to do that.

BjornF16

WKR
If someone wants a device that makes it where they will probably be able to hear someone talk immediately after shooting in an emergency, and do not care about the fact that there has been damage to hearing done, sure. Like most mini cans it does that-reduces muzzle blast and concussion a bit. However, if they want a suppressor that allows them to fire a couple of shots hunting without ear pro and it cause no damage- no, they are not consistently going to do that.

I get most of what you're saying...but I'm going to take those couple of shots without ear pro anyways.

Am I better off with a 5" WA or TBAC Ultra 5 or with no muzzle device?

Edit: With 22 CM, 6CM, 6.5 CM

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
The WYO Arms 4” is not in anyway hearing safe. I’m not trying to crap on Chris’s thread or Wyo Arms with this, but there is quite a bit getting lost here- the 4” is not hearing safe. Functionally it is a blast diverter that tones down the noise. People that are thinking this is a great way to get a suppressor for minimal weight and length are not understanding what they are. Yes, I have heard them.

I have been critical of the TBAC Ultra 5 here, or people take it that way- as it is LOUD for a suppressor- but it is a suppressor. The WA 4” is noticeable louder. It is not a replacement for ear pro even for hunting- shoot that thing from the prone and you are getting hearing damage. Will you experience ringing and pain- maybe, maybe not depending on how your hearing is to begin with. BUT, you are receiving damage… especially on something with 60gr of powder.

I agree with everything you said. I wanted to drastically alter muzzle blast (check) and maintain some recoil reduction (check), while experimenting with the least weight and length I could add to the rifle. I did not expect noise reduction to be anywhere near hearing safe, but it actually exceeded my expectations there. I have a SilencerCo Omega 300 and the difference is noticeable but not as much as I thought there would be. Sure it’s a lot of money for what you get in noise suppression ability, but it was my money. I’ll waste more of it, don’t worry!

ElPollo

WKR
I get most of what you're saying...but I'm going to take those couple of shots without ear pro anyways.

Am I better off with a 5" WA or TBAC Ultra 5 or with no muzzle device?

Edit: With 22 CM, 6CM, 6.5 CM
Huh? Sorry, all I hear is this high-pitched whining sound. Seriously though, when you have tinnitus and hearing loss, you don’t get a do-over. There is plenty of public information out there that says this is going to hurt you. But you get to drive your own bus wherever you want. And just like busses, short cans have serious drawbacks for your future. Finding a light, handy can is fine, but look for one that will get you below 140 dB for the caliber you’re shooting. And even then, limit your exposure to shots without hearing protection to one or two shots at a given setting. More than that will still result in damage.

And I have not seen a 5” can that will get you below 140dB.

Tod osier

WKR

I think you are missing what a segment of the shooting population wants. I've shot a shotgun with no hearing protection thousands of times, a rifle many times (but much less than "thousands") without protection. I shot a rifle in one instance where I had instantaneous damage and tinnitus to this day. I will always shoot a rifle with hearing protection - UNLESS I WANT TO WITHOUT. I want a device that attenuates recoil and blast and is less loud than a brake or bare muzzle. The odds are that I'll shoot with hearing protection in the field, but I'd like the option not to once or twice. That is how I operate no with no device - if I have time I put them in, but if not, I'm OK to shoot in a rush.

BjornF16

WKR
Huh? Sorry, all I hear is this high-pitched whining sound. Seriously though, when you have tinnitus and hearing loss, you don’t get a do-over. There is plenty of public information out there that says this is going to hurt you. But you get to drive your own bus wherever you want. And just like busses, short cans have serious drawbacks for your future. Finding a light, handy can is fine, but look for one that will get you below 140 dB for the caliber you’re shooting. And even then, limit your exposure to shots without hearing protection to one or two shots at a given setting. More than that will still result in damage.

And I have not seen a 5” can that will get you below 140dB.
Too late…22 years of jet noise, even with ear pro, have taken their toll.

But no one has answered my question: am I better off shooting with a 5” can or no muzzle device at all?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

But no one has answered my question: am I better off shooting with a 5” can or no muzzle device at all?

A 5” real can. A TBAC Ultra 5 is the smallest that I would shoot without ear pro hunting.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I think you are missing what a segment of the shooting population wants. I've shot a shotgun with no hearing protection thousands of times, a rifle many times (but much less than "thousands") without protection. I shot a rifle in one instance where I had instantaneous damage and tinnitus to this day. I will always shoot a rifle with hearing protection - UNLESS I WANT TO WITHOUT. I want a device that attenuates recoil and blast and is less loud than a brake or bare muzzle. The odds are that I'll shoot with hearing protection in the field, but I'd like the option not to once or twice. That is how I operate no with no device - if I have time I put them in, but if not, I'm OK to shoot in a rush.

I’m not actually. For your use you could just get a blast deflector and save a bunch or time and money- you still need ear pro.

Understanding what a single gunshot permanently does to hearing, and understanding what suppressors do, and with a massive amount of rounds on a lot of suppressors it’s just not doing what most want. What Chris said he wanted it for is realistic, what the VAST majority are convincing themselves that it does is not. People are trying to tell themselves (I’m getting asked) that “it’s ok for one or two shots”- no it’s not.

Logically why not add 2 inches, or take 2 inches off of a barrel, and actually not have permanent hearing damage? That’s all.

ElPollo

WKR

Yeah, me too. But for me it was bird hunting, power tools, and loud music. Use the 5” can but use ear pro as much as you can make yourself.

Funny story, it was my wife who made me buy a suppressor. She said she didn’t want to live with a deaf old man. I was bemoaning what a pain in the ass the process was for buying one. She told me to stop being stupid and get after it. I don’t see the point of going through all that for something that still destroys my hearing and I will sacrifice barrel length and fps before dB. But your mileage may vary. Best of luck.