Worried about my sheep hunt

Trial153

WKR
A 25% rescheduling fee plus paying up front for three years is total bullshit.

I would think long and hard before sending that remaining 50% in. I am not sure would enjoy a hunt that felt like the outfitter took advantage of a mutual shitty situation.
Am I for working withone to have both parties stay as whole as possible? Absolutely. This seems extremely one sided.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Ok, I just got off the phone with the outfitter, Tim Mervyn. He was cordial and I felt like he listened to my concerns. I expressed just how upset I was with his email and policies. In typical outfitter fashion, I suspect he’s a better hunter than communicator. He admitted that the email was sort of a working draft. As for the 25%, there will still be a rebooking fee if covid gets this season. He understood my displeasure at it and said he’s trying to work at keeping that percentage as low as possible. To the 100% paid as of next week, he’s extending that due date but will still require money before the hunt date(unless he changes his mind again). He says it’s to guarantee everyone shows up. I told him in no uncertain terms how unfair I felt it was to hold my money for up to 3 years. He listened but said no decision to change that would be made today. All in all, it was a reasonably good conversation in a very difficult time. We’ll see how it goes. I don’t want to be headed to a Hunt, which I’ve only dreamed about for 57 years, with a chip on my shoulder.

Trial153

WKR
Ok, I just got off the phone with the outfitter, Tim Mervyn. He was cordial and I felt like he listened to my concerns. I expressed just how upset I was with his email and policies. In typical outfitter fashion, I suspect he’s a better hunter than communicator. He admitted that the email was sort of a working draft. As for the 25%, there will still be a rebooking fee if covid gets this season. He understood my displeasure at it and said he’s trying to work at keeping that percentage as low as possible. To the 100% paid as of next week, he’s extending that due date but will still require money before the hunt date(unless he changes his mind again). He says it’s to guarantee everyone shows up. I told him in no uncertain terms how unfair I felt it was to hold my money for up to 3 years. He listened but said no decision to change that would be made today. All in all, it was a reasonably good conversation in a very difficult time. We’ll see how it goes. I don’t want to be headed to a Hunt, which I’ve only dreamed about for 57 years, with a chip on my shoulder.
I totally undertand. The last thing you want to do is go into that with feeling like you wherent treated faily in a situation that was beyond your control. Its good to hear that voiced your concerns and that at least he is hearing your side of it and considering it.
I would feel uncomfortable knowing that I, along with everyone else was knowingly paying in full for hunt that is three years out. A lot can happen in three years

I totally undertand. The last thing you want to do is go into that with feeling like you wherent treated faily in a situation that was beyond your control. Its good to hear that voiced your concerns and that at least he is hearing your side of it and considering it.
I would feel uncomfortable knowing that I, along with everyone else was knowingly paying in full for hunt that is three years out. A lot can happen in three years

While he didn’t make a decision on that today, nor did I ask him to, I feel like we’ll work that part out

Trial153

WKR
While he didn’t make a decision on that today, nor did I ask him to, I feel like we’ll work that part out
Thats good to hear. Keep that dialogue open.
Its an important distinction that this isnt a cancellation on you part. He legally cant provide the hunt. In that case there has to be some consideration that allows you to stay whole

npm352

WKR
Guy sounds like a heavy handed guy who is taking advantage of the situation. COVID is a crappy deal, and I think there should be give and take, but this guy is completely taking advantage.

He is risking nothing. Your deposit of 50% is likely exactly, close to, or more than what he would make doing the hunt at 100% after expenses. It is a win win for him either way, except that his reputation will go down the drain...it is a dilemma faced by everyone in travel industry now..."should I go for money in pocket now, or go for a good long-term reputation?" He chose the first. The internet is powerful, but may not help you now.

If I found this on an internet search looking for an outfitter 5 years from now when COVID is a bad memory, I would definitely not go with this guy. ...even if the post ended with a picture of you and a nice ram.

I am in similar boat. I have 25% down on a dangerous game hunt in Africa. I do not pay balance until arrival and can delay through 2021, but I have no idea how it will turn out. Hoping for the best for you.

Last edited:
I would think real hard at sending anything more to him. At this point you will loose what you have deposited if you do nothing more and not send what he is asking for. If enough of his other clients decide there is no way they will send this additional deposit he has a real chance of going bankrupt.

If by chance you decide to send the additional funds he is requesting and he does fold, you are out 100 percent. Huge gamble either way. Sorry you are in this situation. He should suck it up and bend over backwards to move your hunt without charging you an additional 25 percent. This is neither of your faults. I could see an additional rate increase on cost increases due to inflation only (not supply and demand cost increases) on a following year hunt but that is it.

I could never treat clients that way no matter what. But at this point you are a number to him. I can tell you this, my Whitehorse Yukon buddies have ZERO good things to say about him in general and how he treats locals. It was my main reason not to book a hunt in the future with him. It might be good in short sighted minds that an outfitter is a jerk to local residents for the non resident client but it shows their core character in my opinion. And in situations like this....you are a number. Again sorry you have to deal with this. I hope it works out for the entire industry.

I just don’t think the Canadian northern territories are going to open up in time and back to normal for the early season sheep seasons. I hope but at this point they are pretty gun shy.

Thanks for all the opinions everyone. I’m devastated and damn stressed about this, having waited virtually a lifetime to pull the trigger on my dream hunt, and your messages have helped. To update, we’ve emailed several times since the phone call. He’s pushed back the due date for payment in full until 6/15, in order to think about how to proceed. He’s said nothings in stone. I know, not much to go on there. We’ll see how it goes.

Have you considered legal council? I don't know if that would help your cause or not, and you may just end up throwing good money after bad, but I also think that if you pay the additional 50%, there's a possibility of losing that as well. I feel for you man, that is definitely a tough spot to be in, and I really hope things work out for you. Good luck.

Have you considered legal council? I don't know if that would help your cause or not, and you may just end up throwing good money after bad, but I also think that if you pay the additional 50%, there's a possibility of losing that as well. I feel for you man, that is definitely a tough spot to be in, and I really hope things work out for you. Good luck.

I have considered legal counsel, along with the outfitters 2 other clients who I have connected with. I really don’t want to go there. It goes against everything in my nature but I’m not getting rid of it as an option.

My gut tells me that if the outfitter sticks to his 25% demand I should refuse, lose my 50% deposit and look for a cancellation hunt down the road. Help me offset the loss. I don’t know. I’ll stress over it all for the next month until the balance is due. I’m not happy about sending more money to someone who tried ripping me off, as Steve so correctly put it.

Old and gray

Lil-Rokslider
It’s unfair to you to pay full balance in June unless your hunt is going to happen.. Unfortunately he sets the rules.

I would think real hard at sending anything more to him. At this point you will loose what you have deposited if you do nothing more and not send what he is asking for. If enough of his other clients decide there is no way they will send this additional deposit he has a real chance of going bankrupt.

If by chance you decide to send the additional funds he is requesting and he does fold, you are out 100 percent. Huge gamble either way. Sorry you are in this situation. He should suck it up and bend over backwards to move your hunt without charging you an additional 25 percent. This is neither of your faults. I could see an additional rate increase on cost increases due to inflation only (not supply and demand cost increases) on a following year hunt but that is it.

I could never treat clients that way no matter what. But at this point you are a number to him. I can tell you this, my Whitehorse Yukon buddies have ZERO good things to say about him in general and how he treats locals. It was my main reason not to book a hunt in the future with him. It might be good in short sighted minds that an outfitter is a jerk to local residents for the non resident client but it shows their core character in my opinion. And in situations like this....you are a number. Again sorry you have to deal with this. I hope it works out for the entire industry.

I just don’t think the Canadian northern territories are going to open up in time and back to normal for the early season sheep seasons. I hope but at this point they are pretty gun shy.
What do you think the odds of sheep season happening in Alaska for nr this fall are

keller

WKR
I really feel bad about all involved in this situation just read about another guy in exact same situation. I dont know what i would do?Its one thing to stress about the money end of things. but this is a dream that someone has lived and looked forward to for many year's .having it so close and then????? I have a Newfoundland moose hunt booked not sure if that will happen either ?

KineKilla

WKR
I have a spring bear hunt booked that starts on the 18th. Situation seems to change daily so I've been stressing it.

Bought this outfitted hunt in late 2018, sucks to have to worry so much about it. Not as costly as some of you other's hunts but unfortunate nonetheless.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Aubs8

FNG
BS...That is a lot of money...I would feel like I am already committed but would feel uneasy about it, the last thing you want before such a hunt...what happens to your money if you are unable to go in the future due to unforeseen circumstances? If you are able to go, I would rationalize it as covering the future annual increase (they are always going up) and paying your generous tip up front.

Mike

Kind of late to recommend it but for people looking at future hunts, CFAR (cancel for any reason) travel insurance would be really good to have right now. Most travel insurance companies aren't covering Covid related cancellations right now but the ones that have the CFAR are paying 75%. Not perfect but beats potentially losing it all!

Don’t fall for this BS - COVID-19 is now a known event. Virtually all major insurers have already set cutoff dates for coverage that have already passed. Therefore going forward unless the policy specifically states it covers COVID-19 related issues it probably won’t.

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
What do you think the odds of sheep season happening in Alaska for nr this fall are

I think it’s ridiculous that he is asking for the full balance by the middle of June. I have a feeling that those outfitters that don’t have a lot of money in the war chest are going to get splattered on the rocks over COVID this year either through bankruptcy or screwing clients and getting a bad reputation.

Think about the US Outfitters that also have to pay the landowners for access. That adds a whole new dimension that Canadian outfitters don’t have to deal with

This is a good lesson to make sure and have enough dough in the bank in case of a shitstorm that one can not predict. This will allow you to do the right thing vs being forced to screw people because you don’t have the funds to live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
Our Prime minister said today that opening the border is NOT A PRIORITY. The question was asked even in light of the tourism business's struggling and his response was that safety is priority number one and there are programs in place to help financially.

I have a horrible feeling that it doesn't matter what data we have we are still going to have some major restrictions in place for a long time.